collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 211617 times)

Offline TelfordVilla

Re: Anwar El Ghazi - signed permanently
« Reply #1095 on: May 02, 2021, 03:29:42 PM »
Scored in the play off final at Wembley. Priceless

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1096 on: May 02, 2021, 03:37:32 PM »
To think you can have a squad full of first team players is naive. We are a long way from Man City. We need players who can play a role when called upon. And while AEG might not be the best player at the club and has games where struggles to impose himself he has come up with some massive goals this season, and quite frankly in the entire time he’s been with us. As a squad player he is well worth keeping for the time being.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1097 on: May 02, 2021, 03:48:56 PM »
I said during the match thread I'd like to see him come in more and play closer to Ollie as El Ghazi is no winger. He's generally a waste of space hugging the touchline but could he play a more mobile role, I don't know but we have a few games left to give it a go.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #1098 on: May 02, 2021, 05:19:51 PM »
I think the decision on whether we keep El Ghazi is entirely down to the plans for where Jack plays next season. If Jack is the left sided attacking player then I’m happy with El Ghazi as his deputy but if Jack is to be used as a 10 then maybe we need to have a rethink as he’s not a first team starter in my view and whilst his goal production is very good, as someone pointed out his lack of assists and general lack of creative contribution is worrying.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #1099 on: May 02, 2021, 07:10:01 PM »
How nice for Anwar to gain some redemption at Goodison after the entirely over the top abuse he got after last season's draw there. Chuffed for him, he has contributed 9 this season. He and the coaching staff seem to understand the areas he needs to improve. Yes, penalties have boosted his goal tally but double figures would be a lovely return given he didn't start a game for the first third of the season.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1100 on: May 02, 2021, 07:16:07 PM »
His scoring record is great, it's just that usually his all round play isn't, as demonstrated by the fact he has no assists this season.
This is a telling stat.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1101 on: May 02, 2021, 08:01:08 PM »
His scoring record is great, it's just that usually his all round play isn't, as demonstrated by the fact he has no assists this season.
This is a telling stat.

Maybe. But it's always been a pretty nebulous metric on which to judge a player.

If Watkins sticks away one of those gilt-edged chances from an El Ghazi pass at home to Palace on Boxing Day rather than sticking one against the bar and one against the post, is El Ghazi a better player as a result? 

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #1102 on: May 02, 2021, 08:08:20 PM »
I know its nowhere near a confirmed formula and all that but he's scored goals worth 7 points to us over the season.

Wolves
Chelsea
Leeds
Everton

Yes, 7 points gained with 3 goals from the Wolves, Chelsea and Leeds games where he was our only scorer and we got the 7 points. He also got a goal in our 2-2 draw with West Brom last week and the winner against Everton yesterday helping to contribute another 4 points with the other scorers Davis & Watkins.

Ok, no assists....

Calvert-Lewin 0
Salah 3
Iheanacho 2
Aubameyang 2

...but I'm glad we've got those points.

Utv.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 08:12:25 PM by Hockley Lion »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1103 on: May 02, 2021, 08:41:57 PM »
This is a telling stat.

Maybe. But it's always been a pretty nebulous metric on which to judge a player.

If Watkins sticks away one of those gilt-edged chances from an El Ghazi pass at home to Palace on Boxing Day rather than sticking one against the bar and one against the post, is El Ghazi a better player as a result? 

And he gets an assist for McGinn in the play off final after a failed shot randomly lands on his head.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1104 on: May 02, 2021, 09:11:21 PM »
This is a telling stat.

Good point, don’t know what the stats are for chances created.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 09:35:44 PM by ChicagoLion »

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1105 on: May 02, 2021, 09:18:13 PM »
Scored in the play off final at Wembley. Priceless

The most valuable "back"/header of all time.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #1106 on: May 02, 2021, 09:24:41 PM »
It's his birthday tomorrow 👍

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1107 on: May 02, 2021, 09:46:23 PM »
I said during the match thread I'd like to see him come in more and play closer to Ollie as El Ghazi is no winger. He's generally a waste of space hugging the touchline but could he play a more mobile role, I don't know but we have a few games left to give it a go.
He's not a great dribbler,but not that many wide players are,his weakest area is tracking back or tackling,however he is reasonably pacy and has a good shot.A freed up role for him behind Ollie would be ideal.
However,we have Chukwuemeka,Ramsey  and possibly Bert would be an even better fit.
It's easier to find players for  the central positon in the transfer market but finding high class wide players is difficult.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1108 on: May 02, 2021, 09:53:49 PM »
This is a telling stat.

Good point, don’t know what the stats are for chances created.

Indeed. The eye-test would suggest that he isn't so much about playing the final pass, so the "no assists" thing isn't completely without merit (how many shots did he have in that Burnley match when he could have squared it?), but then if you get something from a player's decisions, you lose the thing that they chose not to do.

The player who decides to puts his foot on the ball and slips a pass through to the centre-forward probably isn't also the player who with ten minutes to go, decides to ping one in from 20 yards like he did yesterday.

Unless you're Jack Grealish who always makes the right decision, obviously.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1109 on: May 02, 2021, 10:20:13 PM »
I’m a big admirer of El Ghazi. Yes he is inconsistent, but he’s a grafter and when the work pays off it’s lovely to see.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal