collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 211562 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Anwar El Ghazi - signed permanently
« Reply #900 on: December 13, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »
While Twitter doesn’t represent all fans it’s truly astonishing how personally cruel some people can be. I’m glad Tyrone said this. He’s obviously seen the tweets, he’s seen first hand that it has hurt his friend and teammate. There’s no need for some of hate spewed on there.

Twitter has always been an utter cesspit, and if you're famous in any sort of way at all, you're going to get abuse from some brain donor at some point, whatever walk of life you're from.  It doesn't make it right of course, but if I was that concerned about it as a football player (or singer/politician/actor/scientist whatever), I just wouldn't have a Twitter account. 

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #901 on: December 13, 2020, 04:09:06 PM »
While Twitter doesn’t represent all fans it’s truly astonishing how personally cruel some people can be. I’m glad Tyrone said this. He’s obviously seen the tweets, he’s seen first hand that it has hurt his friend and teammate. There’s no need for some of hate spewed on there.

Twitter has always been an utter cesspit, and if you're famous in any sort of way at all, you're going to get abuse from some brain donor at some point, whatever walk of life you're from.  It doesn't make it right of course, but if I was that concerned about it as a football player (or singer/politician/actor/scientist whatever), I just wouldn't have a Twitter account. 

You and I are old Risso. But that’s what this generation does. So it’s not going away for them because I am sure most of the time the good outweighs the bad. But unfortunately it also brings out the fucking worst in some. Pricks who would be too scared to say it to his face, but feel emboldened from a device to show how hard they are. Wankers.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #902 on: December 13, 2020, 04:43:05 PM »
Or, well that's not very helpful Tyrone.  Maybe if you put as much effort into not making mistakes you wouldn't present the opponents with a gilt edged chance every single match. 
Exactly.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #903 on: December 13, 2020, 04:56:16 PM »
Or, well that's not very helpful Tyrone.  Maybe if you put as much effort into not making mistakes you wouldn't present the opponents with a gilt edged chance every single match. 
Exactly.

Why can’t he be challenged to improve his game and be a good person off the field?

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #904 on: December 13, 2020, 05:26:31 PM »
Leadership is set by exemplary conduct in your field not by mouthing off at the first chance you get.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #905 on: December 13, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »
Nothing wrong with criticising players on here or similar forums after a game, within reason. Seeking out somebody's Twitter to abuse them so you know they will read it is cuntish behaviour though. I have no sympathy for trolls whatsoever. Fair play Tyrone.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #906 on: December 13, 2020, 06:16:32 PM »
Nothing wrong with criticising players on here or similar forums after a game, within reason. Seeking out somebody's Twitter to abuse them so you know they will read it is cuntish behaviour though. I have no sympathy for trolls whatsoever. Fair play Tyrone.
Very well put. My thoughts exactly.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #907 on: December 13, 2020, 06:33:09 PM »
Leadership is set by exemplary conduct in your field not by mouthing off at the first chance you get.

Leadership isn't just about what he does on the pitch. It's about who you are as a person. In your profession and outside of it. Because if it was just about doing things right while at work then charitable organizations would never exist because most of that is voluntary service away from your regular life.

Mings has proven time and again he is a leader on the pitch and off it by his conduct in causes most of us don't find time to take an active interest in. That he makes the occasional poor footballing decisions during a game doesn't for one second diminish his leadership traits.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #908 on: December 13, 2020, 06:46:02 PM »
Tyrone stood up for one of his team mates, probably because he's been on the end of Twitter abuse himself. Not everyone has a thick enough skin to shake it off. Getting angry at the game is one thing. Going onto Twitter and hurling personal abuse at a player because of a mistake or a bad game is another and its pretty shameful. Just as shameful as some popping onto Tyrone's Twitter account today and having a go at him for speaking out. That's just the way some people are I suppose though.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #909 on: December 13, 2020, 07:26:15 PM »

Nah. It's set by supporting your teammate against bullying scumbags, even if it means you might attract some of their ugly behaviour yourself.

Offline Risso

« Reply #910 on: December 13, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »

Nah. It's set by supporting your teammate against bullying scumbags, even if it means you might attract some of their ugly behaviour yourself.

I'd have thought a better time to do it was when it happened, not after El Ghazi scored a penalty many months later.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #911 on: December 13, 2020, 10:55:31 PM »
Twitter is the most hostile of social media. It's full of goading. Instagram is much nicer plus you can control comments better on there.

I still don't really get the appeal of Twitter, Instagram etc. but surely those in the limelight can get someone to manage their accounts so they don't get to see the abuse on there?

That's in no way letting the pond life who post that kind of stuff off the hook, but it seems sadly ievitable that it happens. 

Online Dave

« Reply #912 on: December 14, 2020, 07:54:19 AM »

I'd have thought a better time to do it was when it happened, not after El Ghazi scored a penalty many months later

Sure, it would have been. In the absence of that, this is still better than not doing it.

Offline Risso

« Reply #913 on: December 14, 2020, 12:57:25 PM »

Sure, it would have been. In the absence of that, this is still better than not doing it.

I dunno, to me it has the faint whiff of the sort of thing Steve Bruce would do after winning a game for the first time in ages.

Online Dave

« Reply #914 on: December 14, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
*gallic shrug*

Agree to disagree?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal