collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Re: Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Re: Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 211624 times)

Offline Luke8

Re: Anwar El Ghazi - signed permanently
« Reply #735 on: January 05, 2020, 10:34:54 PM »
Like has been mentioned before, might be worth trying him as a centre forward type, similar to Vardy.
Bit late to trial it in cup games, though

You’re probably right in regards to the time (or lack of it) to try it but Kodjia hasn't exactly done much to suggest he should be selected by anything other than default.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #736 on: January 05, 2020, 10:44:29 PM »
If and it’s a big if he plays the 3-4-3 like Burnley with the two either side of the central striker playing as inside forwards I’d give him a go at that. Trez did ok at Burnley maybe it’s more suited to AEG.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #737 on: January 10, 2020, 05:11:30 PM »
El Gahzi showed how difficult it was for him to be a striker against Leicester other day.

He also came off quite battered and bruised . Limping and nose bleed.
He is someone I do enjoy watching play for when on song is a joy and match winner as well as a goal threat however he struggles with the psychicality at times.
His ability and having learnt at school of Ajax taught him a lot but the physical nature of some opposition I think puts him well off his game .

And of course the biggest thing is consistency with Anwar.
Coz there ain't no body like El Ghazi !
Makes me happy when I see him play !

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #738 on: January 10, 2020, 06:24:26 PM »
El Gahzi showed how difficult it was for him to be a striker against Leicester other day.

And yet, he set up our goal.
He has good footballing instincts, and his second Premier League season will see much grreater consistency.
Lest we forget, he already has 6 assists.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #739 on: January 10, 2020, 07:07:28 PM »

He has good footballing instincts, and his second Premier League season will see much grreater consistency.
He’s doing pretty good, he’s been a good signing.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #740 on: January 11, 2020, 08:22:25 AM »

The issues for me with El Ghazi are threefold:

1) he’s anonymous for large parts of the game and hides from the ball
2) I think he really struggles with the step up in physicality despite being 6’2”.
3) he struggles to impose himself.

In his defence some of this is to do with the 4-3-3 system where for large parts he ends up acting as a secondary left back. He does have some talent as proven by assists etc but I’m coming to the conclusion he just lacks the mentality or physicality to impose himself in this league. He really has struggled with the step up in quality and his form has massively suffered.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #741 on: January 11, 2020, 08:42:11 AM »

2) I think he really struggles with the step up in physicality despite being 6’2”.

In his defence some of this is to do with the 4-3-3 system where for large parts he ends up acting as a secondary left back. He does have some talent as proven by assists etc but I’m coming to the conclusion he just lacks the mentality or physicality to impose himself in this league. He really has struggled with the step up in quality and his form has massively suffered.
I'd agree with your 3 points, which is why I think he will look alot better next season. Despite which, he has done some good stuff this season (the 2 horrendous misses against Leicester and Sourhampton notwithstanding).

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #742 on: January 11, 2020, 10:43:13 AM »

Agree on your three points with the first being my biggest problem with him. Even when he gets something right, whether it be a goal or an assist, rather than boosting his confidence and wanting to do more it's like, 'I've done my bit, where shall I hide?' and ends up a passenger for the rest of the game.

Regarding formation, I don't see him as a winger and think he'd benefit coming in 15 yards with the option to go wide if he decides. My worry is his bloody nose against Leicester will push him further into the shadows, if that's possible. Mentally and physically he seems extremely weak. As for being a secondary left back, he's not helped by Targett's lazy arse getting back to defend. AEG has successfully covered for him on several occasions.

Having said all that, he's still very young and only cost us what, £4m? Ideally we bring in a winger this window and allow AEG time to grow and develop, using him as an impact player from the bench.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #743 on: January 11, 2020, 11:35:38 AM »
Mentally weak? The guy went against his religious beliefs to prepare for a football game that we ultimately won and scored the winner in the biggest game in our most recent history but because he's in and out he's mentally weak? That's a pretty unfair accusation.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #744 on: January 11, 2020, 11:39:27 AM »
Nobody's talking about John McGinn.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #745 on: January 11, 2020, 11:41:19 AM »
Yep, mentally weak is very harsh and with no real proof to back it up.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #746 on: January 11, 2020, 11:48:52 AM »
Nobody's talking about John McGinn.

The points still stand.

We are way too quick to throw the coward, weak, mentally not up for it jibes around. They're very offensive and more often than not completely unsubstantiated and based on frustrations of young players being in and out.

Save those comments for Wankers like Ireland, Richards and Lescott.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #747 on: January 11, 2020, 12:20:51 PM »
Yep, mentally weak is very harsh and with no real proof to back it up.

I wish it wasn't the case but that's how I see him. His performances are the real proof. A couple of examples;
I'm struggling to think of a player that when he scores or lays on a great assist, instead of thinking I can do this again, goes into his shell, literally disappears for the rest of the game.
Tackling; forget 50/50s, he backs out of 60/40s in his favour, maybe even 70/30s. He's not prepared to get involved. Why?
He receives the ball and his first option is normally to pass it back to Targett or Taylor.
Remember when he used to cut inside and have a shot? That's stopped.
The majority of players, especially forwards thrive on confidence but AEG doesn't appear to be one of them.

Is he scared of making a mistake, I've no idea but based on his performances and the decisions he takes even when all the stars are aligned he doesn't take advantage. The only person holding back his potential is himself.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #748 on: January 11, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »
Dreadfully harsh.

I do not understand our fans sometimes. AEG is a goal scorer and a goal provider. He is a productive player and has made the step up from the Championship. Of course he will be inconsistent, he has just made a huge step up but he has won us games at this level.

He also cost us peanuts. Lay off him FFS.

Offline frank black

« Reply #749 on: January 11, 2020, 01:07:30 PM »
Good player that will improve tremendously with better players up front with him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:09:30 PM by frank black »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal