collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 211577 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Anwar El Ghazi - signed permanently
« Reply #660 on: June 12, 2019, 08:25:46 PM »
He was also, let's not forget, playing in front of Neil Taylor, so the attacking intent on that side was entirely down to him.  On the right side, you had Elmo overlapping whenever he could, which made life easier for Albert and Green, neither of whom looked anywhere near as good as Anwar.

Absolutely, he did get a lot of support from Grealish drifting left though.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #661 on: June 12, 2019, 08:28:27 PM »
I love Anwar, for the following reasons:
1) Didn't sulk when he got dropped, but worked hard and took his chance when he got it.
2) Scoring at Wembley.
3) Not thinking he was the dog's bollocks and looking for a move elsewhere.
4) Putting aside his strongly held religious beliefs for the good of the club during Ramadan.
5) Impatiently urging the official AVFC social media sites to announce his signing yesterday.

A top, top chap indeed.

Number 1 is the key for me but I'd expand on it. He clearly has plenty of natural talent, that was obvious from the very beginning but what wasn't quite there was the work rate and consistency that you need over a long season. By the end of the season he'd added that, working much harder off the ball (and having a decent understanding of when to track back and when to hold his position) and that extra effort seeing him get more of the ball in better areas. From August to May I'd say he's the most improved player in the squad.

He was also, let's not forget, playing in front of Neil Taylor, so the attacking intent on that side was entirely down to him.  On the right side, you had Elmo overlapping whenever he could, which made life easier for Albert and Green, neither of whom looked anywhere near as good as Anwar.

Good point Risso.  Think he would look a lot more effective with a an attacking minded left back playing with him.  Would mean that when he cut in, there would be an option outside him and would probably give him a bit more space.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #662 on: June 12, 2019, 09:05:26 PM »
You put a proper attacking full back in with AEG he will become twice as lethal. You can see defences doubling up on him because they knew Taylor was useless. And even through that he looked great albeit at Championship level. It won’t be so easy in the PL so he will need help.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #663 on: June 13, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »
A few reports that Everton tried to hijack our deal at the last minute

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #664 on: June 13, 2019, 01:46:54 PM »
Also on a couple of times in games, especially at Wembley in the final few minutes, he beckoned to the crowd to lift the team and we did.

He is a credit to himself for all the points raised by Risso - the cynic in me hopes he continues his development now he has the move as I feel he could be even better.

I also like that with him and Conor in the team we have the ability to score a goal out of nothing from a deadball - that could be crucial in tighter games we will experience in the premiership. A free kick could just be the difference in winning games

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #665 on: July 31, 2019, 03:57:18 PM »

Offline nigel

« Reply #666 on: July 31, 2019, 05:28:57 PM »
You put a proper attacking full back in with AEG he will become twice as lethal. You can see defences doubling up on him because they knew Taylor was useless. And even through that he looked great albeit at Championship level. It won’t be so easy in the PL so he will need help.

You could argue that Taylor took the pressure off Anwar's defensive duties allowing him to concentrate on his attacking side.
Let's not forget Neil Taylor played pretty well himself in the final few league games and the play offs.

AEG is a talent and could be a star in the Prem.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #667 on: July 31, 2019, 06:16:46 PM »
Love the belief on here but the jury's still out for me. If he is the player we all hope him to be, he's only scratching the surface of his talent. There's very little end product with his play, exciting though it can be with the ball at his feet. For much of last season I had him down as a show pony but the way he finished the season I really hope he can kick on.

His attitude is spot on, technically he has skill, pace and ability to get forward. It's what he does thereafter that needs to be worked on. Cutting in and shooting from outside the box to win a corner won't be enough. The fact he's surrounded by quality players will hopefully help drive him on as whoever plays wide left is going to be a very important player in the team.

Good luck to the lad, he deserves his chance.

Offline nigel

« Reply #668 on: July 31, 2019, 07:04:55 PM »
Love the belief on here but the jury's still out for me. If he is the player we all hope him to be, he's only scratching the surface of his talent. There's very little end product with his play, exciting though it can be with the ball at his feet. For much of last season I had him down as a show pony but the way he finished the season I really hope he can kick on.

His attitude is spot on, technically he has skill, pace and ability to get forward. It's what he does thereafter that needs to be worked on. Cutting in and shooting from outside the box to win a corner won't be enough. The fact he's surrounded by quality players will hopefully help drive him on as whoever plays wide left is going to be a very important player in the team.

Good luck to the lad, he deserves his chance.

Can't really argue with you on that.
As you also say, though, he finished the season on a high, no coincidence that we were playing better football with Dean Smith, and now he'll be surrounded with quality which should push him to the next level.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #669 on: July 31, 2019, 07:25:23 PM »
On his day could be one of the better wide players in the premiership, his game has obviously flaws can’t head as a rule and needs a supporting player   Still think he could be a player we will continue talk about come May

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #670 on: July 31, 2019, 07:29:38 PM »
None of that El Khazi bollocks this season I hope

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2019, 11:25:43 PM »
Had some stick from.the first two games and deservedly so. Came on for a cameo and worked hard and tracked back well. Nice to see him on the score sheet too. Hopefully like Wesley he can grow from this as there is clearly a very good player here.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2019, 11:59:42 PM »
He did work hard. Maybe the penny has dropped. Delighted for him with the goal, he did the right thing taking it off Jack's foot. Momentum was on his side and it was a tidy finish.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #673 on: August 24, 2019, 12:13:52 AM »
He did work hard. Maybe the penny has dropped. Delighted for him with the goal, he did the right thing taking it off Jack's foot. Momentum was on his side and it was a tidy finish.

He looked up before slotting past England's number two as well for a neat finish.  Nice kick up the arse distributed by Dean Smith there. I hope AEG kicks on from this, I agree, a good player in there somewhere.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #674 on: August 26, 2019, 09:20:05 PM »
Look at his fantastic run for the goal; full of energy and purpose. Looked like he was determined to get on the score sheet. Well done, Anwar

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal