collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 211606 times)

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
Re: Anwar El Ghazi - signed on loan
« Reply #495 on: May 12, 2019, 09:28:38 PM »
Surely it’s the same for Hegazi for the baggies?  He played okay yesterday.
Yes, he had plenty of energy to slide in on Adomah for his booking.

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #496 on: May 12, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
Is it connected to sleep? Smith mentioned we'd been  monitoring his sleep.

It’s not uncommon for some patients in the community I’ve worked with to go a bit nocturnal, especially when Ramadan is around the longest & hottest days.

I guess it would be possible to plan ahead and shift sleep patterns around, maybe if training is in the mornings especially, a longer afternoon nap might work to conserve...

Jokes aside, whatever dispensation/guidance could be aquired, it’s always going to be down to the individual as to whether they take up guidance or feel deep down they aren’t being true to themselves, especially if others around are fasting.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #497 on: May 12, 2019, 10:31:12 PM »
It is of course, also possible that (and I impugn nobody or anything except my own cynical mind here) that sportspeople who consider themselves ambassadors for their (unfairly maligned) communities, would want to outwardly project their solidarity with those communities whilst at the same time loading on carbs so that they can, in all good faith, fuck the Albion!

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #498 on: May 12, 2019, 10:38:45 PM »
I’m sure he’ll be busting a gut to play, which is what we would expect of any player. If he’s not the best player on the day to be picked then that is up to deano - nothing else needs to be considered.

Offline mike

« Reply #499 on: May 12, 2019, 10:48:09 PM »
I understand there is some flexibility around Ramadan, such as fasting at a more appropriate time if you are ill, travelling etc, but a reasonably devout Muslim will not use those as excuses if not genuine. I think it's also frowned on to sleep all day and eat loads at night. I have worked with Muslim guys who have been absolutely bollocksed by the end of Ramadan when the days are this long. I find it hard to see how they can perform to a high standard on Tuesday. Hutton is an OK replacement for El Mohammedy, but I can't see an obvious replacement for El Ghazi.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #500 on: May 12, 2019, 11:52:22 PM »
Why replace players that played well just because you have decided that they won't be physically fit despite the evidence to the contrary... such as the fact they both played well?

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #501 on: May 13, 2019, 12:55:14 AM »
Why replace players that played well just because you have decided that they won't be physically fit despite the evidence to the contrary... such as the fact they both played well?

I know for a fact that the sports scientists have all manner of gizmos to monitor players' metabolisms and vital signs, and I further know that Dean Smith is ahead of the curve with regards to this one.

Lots of things to worry about if you are inclined to worry, but this is not one them.

Offline mike

« Reply #502 on: May 13, 2019, 06:43:59 AM »

They were only a few hours into the fast on Saturday.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #503 on: May 13, 2019, 06:47:16 AM »
If the player felt he was ok to play then that's fine. He had a decent game though I thought. Obviously it's not ideal preparation but it didn't seem to effect his game too much.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #504 on: May 13, 2019, 09:07:12 AM »

The point is that tomorrow is an evening kick off, so it'll be an extra 7½ hours without food or water.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #505 on: May 13, 2019, 10:27:09 AM »
They can take on food and water at half-time. Presumably they've dealt with this before and don't consider it a problem. Seems a bit odd to decide it is a problem on their behalf, and you leave yourselves open to legal action if you decide to drop players based on their religious beliefs.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #506 on: May 13, 2019, 10:42:04 AM »
They can take on food and water at half-time. Presumably they've dealt with this before and don't consider it a problem. Seems a bit odd to decide it is a problem on their behalf, and you leave yourselves open to legal action if you decide to drop players based on their religious beliefs.

I'm not deciding it will be a problem, I just hope it won't be in our most important game of the season so far. Anwar has been our most consistent attacking threat of late, and I just hope he isn't negatively affected by not having been able to eat or drink for 16 (or however many hours) before the game.  Hydration for an athlete is so important, it's hard to see how fasting for that long wouldn't have an effect.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #507 on: May 13, 2019, 10:47:44 AM »
Players eat very little on the day of a game. I suggest he has a banquet up till the point he can still eat, plenty of carbs just like marathon runners do the day before a race so the energy is released when required. My only concern is dehydration but he can sort that out at half time.  Besides, we'll have a our nutritionists on the case making sure he's okay.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #508 on: May 13, 2019, 10:48:55 AM »
I couldn't do it myself, but then again I struggle to get to lunchtime without a snack and I work sitting at a desk...

He presumably feels he will be okay, though, and has likely had to face the same issues in previous seasons. The second half would, presumably, be the half in which players are more fatigued and both AAG and Elmo can eat and drink at half-time to boost their energy.

Offline TaxDodger

« Reply #509 on: May 13, 2019, 10:50:56 AM »

My girlfriend is currently fasting. The time she can eat/drink goes back by a few minutes each day. It'll be around 8.50 tomorrow I think, so after half time. Apparently you're allowed to eat/drink if you're going on a 'journey', which seems very much open to interpretation. She used this avoid around fasting before a job interview, so a massively important football match might also count. Having said that, she drinks more than I do, so I imagine Anwar is a considerably more devout Muslim!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal