collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 211673 times)

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Anwar El Ghazi - signed on loan
« Reply #465 on: May 11, 2019, 10:06:43 PM »
Fair play to him. He's observing Ramadan so is fasting. Deano said he was just knackered at the end rather than injured.

Completely forgot about that. Means he couldn’t even accept water. That’s hard. Makes his display al the more impressive.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #466 on: May 11, 2019, 10:16:16 PM »
Fair play to him. He's observing Ramadan so is fasting. Deano said he was just knackered at the end rather than injured.

Impressive effort, he worked bloody hard.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #467 on: May 11, 2019, 10:20:01 PM »

Completely forgot about that. Means he couldn’t even accept water. That’s hard. Makes his display al the more impressive.

Presumably Elmo was affected too.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #468 on: May 11, 2019, 10:37:07 PM »
He was my MOTM today, direct and hard working, looked a threat every time he had ball

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #469 on: May 11, 2019, 10:53:48 PM »
Fair play to him (or both of them). Can’t have been easy.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #470 on: May 12, 2019, 11:34:33 AM »

Yes that's correct from what I have been told. Anwar and Ahmed are fasting. Tuesday night will be more difficult as at 8PM they would be about 7 hours further into the fast than yesterday. Dean and Villa nutritional  staff have to think around that.
One  idea could be to bench El Ghazi and as fast ends around 8.50 PM he will be ready for  the second half?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #471 on: May 12, 2019, 02:23:40 PM »

Yes that's correct from what I have been told. Anwar and Ahmed are fasting. Tuesday night will be more difficult as at 8PM they would be about 7 hours further into the fast than yesterday. Dean and Villa nutritional  staff have to think around that.
One  idea could be to bench El Ghazi and as fast ends around 8.50 PM he will be ready for  the second half?

It can't surely be reasonable to ask them to start the game if they haven't eaten anything all day ahead of an evening kickoff? It also sounds like a bad idea to do so from a football perspective.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #472 on: May 12, 2019, 02:30:13 PM »
Grrrrr, religious sky fairy nonsense.....

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #473 on: May 12, 2019, 02:58:54 PM »
The problem is more about water. I’d rest him.

I’m not sure we can rest Elmo. Although, Hutton is decent in these sort of games.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #474 on: May 12, 2019, 03:15:59 PM »
I think some Imams think it's acceptable to break fast when you are playing sport, so long as you make up for it at some point. Opinion is divided, though. Either way, neither AAG or Elmo looked affected yesterday, they will at least be able to drink water on Tuesday night, regardless. Albeit they won't have had anything to eat for about seventeen hours.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #475 on: May 12, 2019, 03:39:02 PM »

It can't surely be reasonable to ask them to start the game if they haven't eaten anything all day ahead of an evening kickoff? It also sounds like a bad idea to do so from a football perspective.

Surely i's up to them, if they're happy to play and confident that they can perform then they play, if they have concerns then we work with them to sort it out, seems pretty simple.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #476 on: May 12, 2019, 06:35:30 PM »
I think some Imams think it's acceptable to break fast when you are playing sport, so long as you make up for it at some point. Opinion is divided, though. Either way, neither AAG or Elmo looked affected yesterday, they will at least be able to drink water on Tuesday night, regardless. Albeit they won't have had anything to eat for about seventeen hours.
Yes so and I will try to explain as much as I can.
Assuming that the  players follow the religious scripture that provides the direction to fast it also offers mitigation in several scenarios. One being "If it hinders you from working in your field (in this case literally your farm where food is cultivated to provide for your family) and carrying out other necessary duties". In that case is not necessary for them to fast but exercise other options available to them one being providing food for a prescribed number of needy people. However some people believe it is not a choice based on strong belief and sight examples of followers in early days fasting whilst fighting the enemy and they believe it will affect their performance adversely if they didn't.
El Ghazi probably had his best game for us yesterday and ElMohamady was also very competent.
Last Wednesday evening both Ziyech and Mazraoui playing for Ajax were fasting when the game started. Ziyech was probably the best player on the pitch. In the 24th minute of the match, based on local sunset timing,  they both had nutritional tubes handed to them by Ajax staff.
As I said on Tuesday sun set in Birmingham is at about 8.55 so that means they will have to play the entire first half on a fast at about 17.5 hours. They will believe if the Dutch guys could do it they can as as well.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #477 on: May 12, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
What do they do in the Arctic Circle where the sun never sets?

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #478 on: May 12, 2019, 06:42:00 PM »
What do they do in the Arctic Circle where the sun never sets?

Die.

Or alternatively:-
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/277834/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 06:46:22 PM by Richard E »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal