collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Anwar El Ghazi - gone to PSV  (Read 213071 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Anwar El Ghazi - signed permanently
« Reply #1110 on: May 02, 2021, 11:14:20 PM »
It's not a perfect stat, but I'd always rather a player had more assists than fewer. And you can see why El Ghazi doesn't have any, as his all round play excluding his goalscoring, isn't very good.

Offline Hockley Lion

• GM : 24.05.2022
« Reply #1111 on: May 03, 2021, 12:42:31 AM »
In PL minutes played this season he's played the equivalent to 13.3 games and scored 8 goals. That's a goal every 1.66 games.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1112 on: May 03, 2021, 12:55:18 AM »
He doesn't impose himself enough on games and defensively he often gives the ball away or commits fouls in dangerous areas.

He's a curious player. I might be off the mark but I get the feeling he's quite introverted and this manifests on the pitch with him being peripheral too often. Like our two other frustrating wingers, how to harness their strengths more consistently is an ongoing battle.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1113 on: May 03, 2021, 12:58:02 AM »
Key passes (i.e passes led to a chance) is more important than assists. AEG averages 1.5 a game this year which isn't terrible, the top attacking players are around 3 and Jack is 3.4

Offline Hockley Lion

« Reply #1114 on: May 03, 2021, 02:15:58 AM »
He doesn't impose himself enough on games and defensively he often gives the ball away or commits fouls in dangerous areas.

He's a curious player. I might be off the mark but I get the feeling he's quite introverted and this manifests on the pitch with him being peripheral too often. Like our two other frustrating wingers, how to harness their strengths more consistently is an ongoing battle.

He's probably just wondering where it all went wrong. Has anyone else in the squad scored against Barcelona in the Champions League?

Barcelona 3-1 Ajax - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/29362717

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1115 on: May 03, 2021, 03:47:31 AM »
In PL minutes played this season he's played the equivalent to 13.3 games and scored 8 goals. That's a goal every 1.66 games.

This is not to denigrate El Ghazi, but Keinan Davis has a better goals-to-minutes record than that! This is according to something I heard on a podcast that may well be wrong. The stat was that he's played 150 PL minutes all season.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1116 on: May 03, 2021, 07:31:27 AM »
I like him. He's not afraid to have a shot. Eg 35 shots on target so far this season (18th most in the division) from 49 shots (38th). Watkins has 40 (6th) from 88 (5th).he hit the woodwork 3 times (13th) v Watkins 7 (1st).

He's only created 1 good chance though and is well down near the bottom of the list.

I'd absolutely keep him as one of the first team squad.

Offline Hockley Lion

« Reply #1117 on: May 03, 2021, 11:33:40 AM »

This is not to denigrate El Ghazi, but Keinan Davis has a better goals-to-minutes record than that! This is according to something I heard on a podcast that may well be wrong. The stat was that he's played 150 PL minutes all season.

Keinan Davis, yes another whipping boy on here.
According to BBC's stats Davis minutes per goal is 169, El Ghazi 161, Watkins 205, and Jack 295.

The figure I mentioned I came to by adding up his minute's on pitch and dividing it by 90. Then calculating his goals per 90 min/game. He's played in 23 games but in half he's been sub'd on or off in rotation. That's Dean's decision. He may not have many assists but it doesn't mean he hasn't passed. It's just not been converted by someone else. What he does have is getting the equivalent of 2 goals every 3.3 games in match time.

It's his birthday today so I'm saying Happy Birthday Anwar 🍰!
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 11:53:30 AM by Hockley Lion »

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1118 on: May 03, 2021, 11:47:20 AM »
He’s one that frustrates the life out of me at times but one I would be sad If we let go.  1.  Because he’s got talent and 2. Because I’m nostalgic and he represents great times in restoring this clubs fortunes.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1119 on: May 03, 2021, 12:10:35 PM »
He's scored some important goals for us, but his all-round game just isn't good enough if we are looking to establish ourselves in the top half of the league next season.  Him, Trezeguet and Traore give the ball away far too many times between them and so many promising moves break down when they get to them. 

The telling thing for me would be how many match day squads of the other teams currently in the top 10 El Ghazi would make. 

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1120 on: May 03, 2021, 12:34:21 PM »
As it stands for me I want 4 wide players in the squad, Jack is a given that we want to keep him, I'd keep Traore because at his best he's superb, we need to work on his consistency. I then want 1 more who is capable of stepping up to top 4 level. That means 1 of AEG or Trez needs to go, not this summer because Trez will be out until near the end of next season anyway but next summer we'll have to make a call on them and I don't know which way I'd go.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #1121 on: May 03, 2021, 12:45:16 PM »
As it stands for me I want 4 wide players in the squad, Jack is a given that we want to keep him, I'd keep Traore because at his best he's superb, we need to work on his consistency. I then want 1 more who is capable of stepping up to top 4 level. That means 1 of AEG or Trez needs to go, not this summer because Trez will be out until near the end of next season anyway but next summer we'll have to make a call on them and I don't know which way I'd go.

Agree with that summation Paul.  For me, Traore would be best employed coming off the bench in the latter stages of games and we need a much more consistent player on that right side.

If Jack Grealish does stay, the big question for me would be whether he comes into a more central position.  Teams began doubling up on him before his injury, but that would be far harder to do if he was in a more central role.  Him moving centrally would mean we might need two wide players in the summer.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 01:27:00 PM by tomd2103 »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1122 on: May 03, 2021, 12:54:46 PM »
Teams doubled up because we didn't have anyone else offering much threat. If, as an example, Barkley and Traore were on form, they couldn't afford to.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1123 on: May 03, 2021, 01:04:18 PM »
I'd cash in on El Ghazi this summer, his stock will never be so high. Obviously we need to bring in better quality and a winger should be top of our shopping list. Additional creativity is higher up my list than another centre forward.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1124 on: May 03, 2021, 01:57:01 PM »
AEG is outperforming his value. At £8M or whatever it is we paid for him (I don’t think it was a lot more) and at PL level he is doing as much as can expect of him. He’s still relatively young at 25, still developing at this level. He’s not going to be a player we spend £30-40M on and even then I don’t know if we would realistically get a lot more. It’s been documented by others how well he’s done with key goals against players in that price range and more.

While we all want our players to be playing at the top of their game; we might not be far off from what AEG’s ceiling is. And as a squad player, who has never moaned or complained, who has come in at times and delivered some important moments this season and the two prior, I think he’s a solid player to have at the club. But if he is sold we will have got more than our money’s worth for him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal