collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by paul_e
[Today at 03:24:23 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by john e
[Today at 03:23:57 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by paul_e
[Today at 03:23:27 PM]

Re: Morgan Rogers - Signed by Drummond
[Today at 03:23:07 PM]

Re: New Shirt Sponsor by LeeB
[Today at 03:21:32 PM]

Re: Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Drummond
[Today at 03:20:09 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by tomd2103
[Today at 03:19:04 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:18:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 668214 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2445 on: April 02, 2021, 06:19:39 PM »
                Martinez
Cash   Konsa      Mings    Targett
      Luiz     Mcginn   Nakamba
                Grealish
    Watkins               AEG

Let McGinn and the full backs get up the pitch early and have Watkins and AEG as wide strikers trying to either pull the fullbacks narrow or the centre-backs wide. Grealish as a false 9 occupying the defensive midfielder so McGinn can run beyond him into the box. Basically the only person in the front 4 who is in a normal position to be marked is Grealish and we use that to our advantage because he'd be tightly marked anywhere on the pitch anyway.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2446 on: April 02, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »
                Martinez
Cash   Konsa      Mings    Targett
      Luiz     Mcginn   Nakamba
                Grealish
    Watkins               AEG

Let McGinn and the full backs get up the pitch early and have Watkins and AEG as wide strikers trying to either pull the fullbacks narrow or the centre-backs wide. Grealish as a false 9 occupying the defensive midfielder so McGinn can run beyond him into the box. Basically the only person in the front 4 who is in a normal position to be marked is Grealish and we use that to our advantage because he'd be tightly marked anywhere on the pitch anyway.
it would be interesting to see this, Paul. Not sure it will happen!!

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2447 on: April 02, 2021, 07:58:31 PM »
I think that this might be our best team at present:

Martinez

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Targett

Luiz-Nakamba

Traore-McGinn-Grealish

Watkins

Maybe it's time to start trusting the defence, do we really need 7 out of our 11 players in defensive roles? I'd move it up a level with SJM and Luiz playing box to box in front of Marvelous. Attack as a team, defend as a team.

Martinez

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Targett

Nakamba

Luiz - McGinn

Traore------------Grealish

Watkins

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #2448 on: April 02, 2021, 08:15:16 PM »
I like that RCF, why ever not.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #2449 on: April 11, 2021, 10:14:20 AM »
Shit, again. We've got to have an eye on replacing him next season. He's had a handful of really good Premier League games in nearly 2 seasons.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2450 on: April 11, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »
I think that this might be our best team at present:

Martinez

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Targett

Luiz-Nakamba

Traore-McGinn-Grealish

Watkins

Maybe it's time to start trusting the defence, do we really need 7 out of our 11 players in defensive roles? I'd move it up a level with SJM and Luiz playing box to box in front of Marvelous. Attack as a team, defend as a team.

Martinez

Cash-Konsa-Mings-Targett

Nakamba

Luiz - McGinn

Traore------------Grealish

Watkins
The only difference from yesterday is Jack

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #2451 on: April 11, 2021, 05:24:38 PM »
Shit, again. We've got to have an eye on replacing him next season. He's had a handful of really good Premier League games in nearly 2 seasons.

Just didn’t seem to be involved

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2452 on: April 11, 2021, 05:36:42 PM »
Apart from when he set up the goal, presumably? He wasn't helped by Liverpool being allowed to foul him just about whenever he got the ball without fear of it being given.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2453 on: April 11, 2021, 05:38:39 PM »
one of a few players who is good enough for a mid-table side, but if we want to be top 6 then we would replace him at some point.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #2454 on: April 11, 2021, 05:47:52 PM »
one of a few players who is good enough for a mid-table side, but if we want to be top 6 then we would replace him at some point.

I think that he is of a higher quality than that and is being undermined by the fact that our other midfielders and wingers are so disappointing. There's only so much that he can do with the personnel around him. With better players I'm sure that Super John McGinn would indeed be Super again.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2455 on: April 11, 2021, 06:37:37 PM »

I think that he is of a higher quality than that and is being undermined by the fact that our other midfielders and wingers are so disappointing. There's only so much that he can do with the personnel around him. With better players I'm sure that Super John McGinn would indeed be Super again.

Completely agree with this and playing him further forward more regularly. I think he’ll shine at the Euros as well.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2456 on: April 11, 2021, 06:44:50 PM »

Completely agree with this and playing him further forward more regularly. I think he’ll shine at the Euros as well.

Where he has mainly worse players around him?  I agree he’s better playing further forward. He’s doing okay where he is though.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2457 on: April 11, 2021, 06:53:02 PM »

Where he has mainly worse players around him?  I agree he’s better playing further forward. He’s doing okay where he is though.
[/quote

True, and see my contradiction, but different factors, playing for his country at a major tourno, he’s one of the main men for them etc etc. Point is I think he’s still good enough to be one of our main men over next couple of years

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2458 on: April 11, 2021, 07:12:21 PM »
I think all the midfielders could make that circular argument "It's not me, it's the other ones!"  McGinn and Luiz are good central midfielders - probably good enough for the top half but only if they have someone else in there alongside them who is better. Barkley and Nakamba aren't and it's too early to say if Sanson or Ramsey will be. It's a key position we need to strengthen in the summer - a genuinely top-class midfielder who will walk into the team. Probably would help if he has athleticism and height too. I hope Lange has been scouting someone like Soucek.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2459 on: April 11, 2021, 07:24:55 PM »
It's a Kante-type for me. Someone who's everywhere and makes it feel like we're playing with 12 men.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal