collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 653848 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2340 on: March 07, 2021, 12:45:48 PM »
What has happened to him.  I hate the position he is playing in, certainly doesn't suit him he is best coming through with the ball even when 99% of his shots go over, but he was having a go.  He now looks a spare in the team.  And I don't like the extra timber he's carrying.  Should be doing better but definitely not all down to him.

Offline Daley’s dreads

« Reply #2341 on: March 07, 2021, 04:14:42 PM »
I must be one of the few that thinks he looks more like the McGinn of old lately then! Thought he was brilliant during the first half last night. I do think needs to lose a little weight though and definitely should not be played as a holding midfielder. I’d definitely keep him unless we get a ridiculous offer. He’s still my first choice centre mid atm although there’s not exactly stiff completion!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2342 on: March 07, 2021, 04:20:05 PM »
McGinn is getting better as the season progresses

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #2343 on: March 07, 2021, 04:27:35 PM »
Thought SJM was back to something like his old self yesterday. Made a difference higher up the pitch too where he is much more effective. He isn't really a defensive midfielder.

Online john2710

« Reply #2344 on: March 07, 2021, 04:28:38 PM »
He was much more like his old self during the first half last night. He needs to be playing further forward otherwise he's only half the player.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #2345 on: March 07, 2021, 05:46:15 PM »
I think in the promotion year he was a big part in us winning games and getting promoted. Now, I’m not sure what he brings to the team. Good first half last night and has looked better recently but still a ? For me.  The £50m quoted in the media 18 months ago seems a life time ago. I think we will look to replace him if we want to progress. Harsh but fair IMO

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #2346 on: March 07, 2021, 05:52:40 PM »
I think teams  have started to work him out, when he dips his body to protect the ball as he runs  through - we all want him to succeed just can't see what he's  bringing to the party right now, but football is all about opinions I guess

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #2347 on: March 07, 2021, 06:09:57 PM »
He was much more like his old self during the first half last night. He needs to be playing further forward otherwise he's only half the player.

Agreed, John. When all in front of him were clueless, he was trying to feed the ball through into the spaces and drive the team on. Beyond the defence he was the only leader out there. I just feel he's asked to do too much, be too many different types of player rather than being allowed to be the player we all know he can be. His shooting needs some work though but it will come.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #2348 on: March 07, 2021, 06:19:25 PM »
I like Mcginn, hopefully he starts getting forward a bit more. He seems to play better with Nakamba than Luiz

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #2349 on: March 07, 2021, 07:14:15 PM »
Agree I thought SJM is improving every match. I think he has been asked to play out of his preferred position to help Luiz this season which has proved difficult in some matches. I feel that he needs to play a bit further forward for us to see him back at his best. I love the guy because he’s a real team player which he’s proved by playing wherever he’s told to.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #2350 on: March 08, 2021, 11:51:53 AM »
I'm obviously watching a different game every match day.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2351 on: March 08, 2021, 04:16:43 PM »
McGinn is an average to decent attacking midfielder in Premier League terms. As a defensive midfielder, I think he's below average to poor. When he plays as a two in front of the defence with Luiz he's crap, he looked quite a bit better in a proper 4-3-3 getting forward more.

Offline JuanMartinez

« Reply #2352 on: March 08, 2021, 04:49:33 PM »
Agreed with Risso, also his style going forward would gain us more free kicks in dangerous positions instead of relying on Jack all the time.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2353 on: March 08, 2021, 04:56:04 PM »
I might be mad, but I'd look at playing him wide right. He can take the ball into feet and turn the full back, cut inside to put in shooting range or whip in crosses. I just think with his fairly unique skillset it might work and get the most out of him, and it's a position not nailed down in the team at present.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2354 on: March 08, 2021, 06:12:40 PM »
I might be mad, but I'd look at playing him wide right. He can take the ball into feet and turn the full back, cut inside to put in shooting range or whip in crosses. I just think with his fairly unique skillset it might work and get the most out of him, and it's a position not nailed down in the team at present.
I've thought that, Lee. I could see us playing 2 forwards - Watkins plus Barry, Traore, Wesley, AN other - with a fluid midfield 4 that allows McGinn and JG to drift wide as required.
Or, as you say, maintain the 4-3-3 with McGinn as part of the front three.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal