collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John McGinn - signed (Captain)  (Read 654026 times)

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: John McGinn - signed
« Reply #2115 on: September 23, 2020, 09:35:00 AM »
Smith needs to back his words with action - another horror show next Monday and McGinn needs to be dropped. Competition is what will propel us forward and we can’t carry midfielders no matter what went before

Another horror show? Blimey, he wasn't that bad.

I agree Clampy.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2116 on: September 23, 2020, 09:38:18 AM »
I think he will be the next to get a new 4 year contract

Me too. Smith always speaks highly of him. 

If Rodgers still loves him too, imagine swapping him for one of Leicester's midfield juggernauts.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #2117 on: September 23, 2020, 10:10:04 AM »
Smith needs to back his words with action - another horror show next Monday and McGinn needs to be dropped. Competition is what will propel us forward and we can’t carry midfielders no matter what went before

And replaced with.....?
I'm looking forward to the answer :)

I only agree on the competition bit. But I think McGinn will reach level of consistency again .
Don't forget he's a ball carrier and makes runs rather than someone who gets on the ball passing it around like Pirlo. So he can look like he's not involved

But yes a midfielder to come in for competition would be great however it's the same all round
Paul Merson once said :
"You can go for £50-60m now, three bad games and you’re out of the team"

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2118 on: September 23, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »

And replaced with.....?
I'm looking forward to the answer :)

Me too!

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #2119 on: September 23, 2020, 12:42:52 PM »
Not having a decent game is now a horror show is it?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2120 on: September 23, 2020, 12:47:50 PM »
'Horror show' is an over-exaggeration, but he was certainly poor.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2121 on: September 23, 2020, 01:36:46 PM »
He didn't play that badly.  Rusty, yes. Below par for his standards, certainly. But it was far from a 'horror show'.

It also didn't help that with Sheff Utd down to 10 men and retreating to their box with everyone behind the ball, it completely nullified his biggest assets; carrying the ball forward and making runs into space.  With most of the match spent with the ball moving side to side in the final third and trying to find a way through two compact banks of four, he was never going to be man of the match. It wasn't the sort of game he is ever going to excel in, even when 100% fit. 

Ironically, given we were camped in their half, someone like Jota would probably have been a better bet - given his lack of pace and mobility wouldn't have been a major issue.  Would have been a brave decision to swap them though!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2122 on: September 23, 2020, 01:42:34 PM »
If you actually watch the highlight, and yes I realize that is a limited sample size, a lot of our good stuff came through McGinn breaking up play or starting moves. One of our issues as fans with him and Mings is that in our minds elevated them to a status loftier than their actual ability. I think both are adjusting, both are approving, but both have limitations and flaws. McGinn will be fine but he’s probably approaching his ceiling. He’s a top tier squad player but for me he’s a player we need a superior version of starting each week. I don’t know that we are there yet in attracting that level of talent.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2123 on: September 23, 2020, 07:56:42 PM »
I suspect his appetite for the hard yards has declined sharply.  No racism intended but Celts are prone frequently to be tempted by less than full fitness lifestyles.  Many exceptions of course of totally committed Scots, Welsh and Irish players but lots have form for battered Mars bars diets.  He will be back.  Of that you can be sure.

As a Celt, I do my best to embody this statement :-)

I don’t know how true a generalisation it is but it does remind me of a story I heard from a mate who played for Wales about how John Hartson’s pre match meal was spaghetti bolognese with a fried egg on top.
My absolute favourite meal is half a deep fried pizza & chips, with battered mars bar & vanilla ice cream for pudding.

Only have it once a year, but my word it's the best day of that year. Usually from a chippy on Queensferry Rd coming out of Edinburgh, which has red white & green neon lights outside, not sure of the name but it's been there for years.

Assuming it's a takeaway, it gets washed down with a bottle of Buckfast. Obviously. :D

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2124 on: September 28, 2020, 09:20:38 PM »
McGinn's form isn't just a rut any longer. Was tried in at least three different positions tonight and was rubbish. Putting passes out of play when under no pressure. Not showing for possession, not taking players on, not breaking into the box.

If ever there was a player that needs competition for his place it's McGinn.

Well done SJM, back to his best tonight. Will be tougher games ahead but you could visibly see his confidence lifting as the game went on.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #2125 on: September 28, 2020, 09:22:54 PM »
He needed a game like that. Looked like the SJM of old.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #2126 on: September 28, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »
McGinniesta was excellent tonight.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #2127 on: September 28, 2020, 09:29:48 PM »
He started to do the whole receiving the ball, turn and drive forward which he was so good at before the injury.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2128 on: September 28, 2020, 09:31:28 PM »
Really good tonight.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #2129 on: September 28, 2020, 09:35:57 PM »
That was a smart lay off for Conor to score. Welcome back John.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal