collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

The Fanzine

Heroes & Villains Fanzine

Get your fix of all things Claret & Blue by subscribing to the online version!

* H&V Best Of

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Orjan Nyland - signed  (Read 63389 times)

Offline KRS

Re: Orjan Nyland - signed
« Reply #825 on: January 09, 2020, 04:56:43 AM »
He looks like a completely different keeper to the one we were all terrified of seeing in goal last season. Very much improved and seems to be maturing with confidence. Fairplay Orjan.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #826 on: January 09, 2020, 05:34:57 AM »
Wonder if our GK has helped?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 15.08.2020
« Reply #827 on: January 09, 2020, 05:39:15 AM »
Looked safe as houses whenever he’s played. Amazed as I wouldn’t have given you tuppence for him 6 months ago. Good on him.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #828 on: January 09, 2020, 06:55:11 AM »
proved all the doubters wrong! - hopefully his form will continue for the rest of this season

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 18.07.2017
« Reply #829 on: January 09, 2020, 07:26:33 AM »
Heaton has made errors but almost by virtue of being English and having been round the block here a bit it's almost brushed off. You come from overseas and drop a clanger and you can be written off after a few games.

I think there's probably a bit of truth to that.

I wonder how Nyland or Kalinic would have been treated had they conceded a penalty after 45 seconds of their debut for us.

There's a big expectation I think with being the new keeper (particularly given us burning through them like no tomorrow in finding a solid Post-Friedel option). Everyone knows Heaton's good and what he does well, you almost over look a dropped cross etc. (Not suggesting Heaton has been less than stellar I should say, he's arguably been POTY up until last week).
Kalinic came with a decent reputation as well and many of us were quite excited to see him come over. He got written off too quickly. I don't think there's a way back for him, if only because it seems like he wants out. I hope we keep Nyland though and in the end he proves good value.

Just going on the other holes in the squad - lest we forget, we've just started a match without a striker, because we don't have one - the need for a new keeper drops down the list, add in the fact that Nyland is looking more reliable it it looks even more unnecessary.

It does but we will be in real trouble if he gets injured so some cover is needed in the short term.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2021
« Reply #830 on: January 09, 2020, 09:18:58 AM »
He's got a very 1940s German appearance.

If you imagine him in black and white, he has a very 'being dragged out of a foxhole in the ruins of 1945 Berlin by Russian soldiers in newsreel footage' look about him.

Anyway, who cares about that, he's done very well recently.

He needs a duelling scar.

And a monacle.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 11.10.2020
« Reply #831 on: January 09, 2020, 02:23:02 PM »
He's done well. There's next to no pressure on him as there's no expectancy being the third choice keeper. When he first came, he was chucked in the team, in front of a less than stellar side and struggled.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #832 on: January 10, 2020, 04:54:01 PM »
My take on Nyland and the bigger picture of goal keepers available currently is that he is to be in the team until we sign an experienced goal keeper.
The serious talk of Pepe Reina is satisfying to me and feel it's diligent to have a player of this know how to come and be the goal keeper.
There is no messing around now . It's crucial to have an experienced head be it Reina or someone to come and be part of the villa squad.
If Nyland can go from strength to strength then brilliant however just like in the summer Steer was ousted for the experienced and excellent Heaton for me Reina to come boss the nets would be the wise and right move.

Now Nyland has shown some positive signs however I'm not totally convinced or would be expecting him to be our hope as it's far too risky a move.
Something we have learnt with Wesley at top end.
Nyland excelles with the one and one saves, makes himself and has been a bit more steady on crosses all be it straightforward so far.

But I see a reality with his lack of authority and personality in both commanding the area and sorting the defence.
His distribution by feet is pretty limited and inaccurate and he has shown previous his poor handling when under pressure . He can't be relied upon  in a relgation battle .
I still see him as someone who can be still very much have an error prone game.

I'm all for giving a chance however the suitability and request by Dean Smith (and myself) to have an experienced goal keeper indicates that Nyland is a back up and limited and that there is no way a risk is needed when have opportunity to bring in a player who has been an elite performer and part of world cup winning squads.

Hands down Reina would be in for me as we know what we get with him
If Nyland makes an error how sure he has the strength to cope. And he will make an error. Based on last form .
My own assessment is that Nyland has ability to make the shot stops but his overall game is severely limited.
It really is a leap of faith to have the Norwegian as our number1 , having the bottle, after has let villa down in past.
I just can't take that risk with this guy based on a few saves and that he hasn't yet dropped a cross.
(Those will come)

So having another GK is essential as if we persist with Nyland then an experienced back up to come in if Norwegian fails us Reina can come and do the job.

I think if we signed Reina he be automatically seen as number 1
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:01:05 PM by Vill I An »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 11.03.2021
« Reply #833 on: January 10, 2020, 09:00:22 PM »
He’s done really well.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 14.06.2019
« Reply #834 on: January 10, 2020, 09:05:53 PM »
Back on the bench as of next week then!

Offline danno

« Reply #835 on: January 10, 2020, 09:46:19 PM »
Steer didn't do anything wrong and lost a starting berth, if Reina is better play him.

Offline Vill I An

« Reply #836 on: January 10, 2020, 10:01:11 PM »
Football terms it's different leagues.
Reina been involved at world class level and has proven ability and is known the European football world over.
Really Nyland should be understudy to a man of Reina's class and ability.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 10:06:03 PM by Vill I An »

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #837 on: January 11, 2020, 08:22:55 AM »
At 29 he shouldn't be an understudy to anyone if he's ambitious.

Signing Reina shows Dean doesn't rate him, despite his good recent performances so I can see him moving in on the summer.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 17.02.2021
« Reply #838 on: January 11, 2020, 08:25:49 AM »
At 29 he shouldn't be an understudy to anyone if he's ambitious.

Signing Reina shows Dean doesn't rate him, despite his good recent performances so I can see him moving in on the summer.

So how do you know he’s being signed as the No 1?

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 07.03.2021
« Reply #839 on: January 11, 2020, 08:29:14 AM »
Having just started a match without a single striker on the pitch, that's clearly the priority.

Signing another goalie, when Steer is also about to return to the squad suggests Dean thinks Nyland isn't up to it.

If Dean trusted Nyland he wouldn't be wasting 1 of our 2 loan signings on a 3rd choice keeper.