collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Kits 23/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 09:44:42 AM]

FFP by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 09:39:25 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:33:04 AM]

West Ham v Aston Villa post match by aj2k77
[Today at 09:29:53 AM]

Games Moved for TV by olaftab
[Today at 09:19:58 AM]

International Rugby by nigel
[Today at 07:38:44 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by ROBBO
[Today at 04:59:13 AM]

Press-ing on by Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle
[March 18, 2024, 10:48:26 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Christian Purslow - Resigned  (Read 225930 times)

Offline Villan82

Re: New CEO appointed - Christian Purslow
« Reply #720 on: July 10, 2020, 09:08:24 AM »
The only clubs that are looking to become yo-yos are those down that want to come straight back up. Its self evidently not the aim of the club.

It took us three years to get up last time. I am not one bit confident we will come straight back up. We saw last time what a tough and unforgiving league it is. You need over 20 wins jst to make the play-offs, 26/27 wins to have a shot at automatic.

One bad week and you could be 9 points off where you need to be.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #721 on: July 10, 2020, 09:09:45 AM »
I don't think we are staring into any kind of abyss. It will be a massive disappointment if we go down but it won't be a total disaster. Possibly losing the likes of Grealish and McGinn will be the main blow but if it comes to it, we'll be back. That's not defeatism, that's taking it on the chin that we've not been good enough.

We were promoted inside 3 years with the biggest off field chaos and lunacy since the 1960s. If we go down, we have the benefit of Parachute payments, £80m from Grealish and other sales, the biggest draw in the league for players and potentially a relaxed FFP environment.

We will be the best equipped financially to come back up to spend and attract the best. Of course we can cock it up, but if you think that then you're accepting lions on flags and local derby's as the best you can do- apparently.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #722 on: July 10, 2020, 09:13:25 AM »
Agree with Ads. We probably weren't ruthless enough to sack Dean and I can see why he survived through a fair amount of credit in the bank (promotion, competitive and scoring plenty of goals in the first half of the season, the run to Wembley this season). The Watford game away was woeful and the first real itchy trigger finger moment. But we followed it up with a fine win at Burnley. Purslow was on the pitch immediately after the game, delighted for Dean.

As SoccerHQ has said, the second chance was after the Leicester result and before the Lockdown. I guess everything was up in the air at that point and we didn't know when football would resume plus there were still 10 games to go and we had our future in our own hands.

Purslow has a stake in the club, he's vastly experienced in football so I don't get this "he's a slimy, useless cnut" talk. The Suso-Smith-Terry-O'Kelly axis has been found wanting a bit at this level and there have been too many underwhelming signings. I think its within those four positions that changes are required.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #723 on: July 10, 2020, 09:18:38 AM »
The 'abyss' we are looking into is not the Championship or even the First Division.  It is the acceptance by the fans and those that run the club that we are inferior.  Anything other than ding dongs with Small Heath or Smethwick is the stuff of dreams.  Defeatism hiding behind flags with lions on them.
You do write some bollocks Brian.
Really ? Have a good look around if you want to see some bollocks.
I can see how shit we are, but that is just meaningless hyperbolic nonsence.  This isn't about defeatism of fans or the board, it's about having a squad that simply isn't good enough to compete in this league, whoeversw fault that may be.

In the 90s top half finishes were the minimum requirement pretty much. In the 00s we were disappointed, after four top six finishes, to not make the Champion's League. In the early 2010s premier league survival became the name of the game. Now we are looking at being a yo-yo club.

Brian green is correct in what he has posted.
It's not defeatism is't just not being good enough.  The Board not sacking Smith isn't defeatism, it was a judgment call that he was best placed to get us out the mess given the alternatives available (and possibly the FFP tightrope we were walking).  The fans weren't defeatest, the Holt end was roaring right up to lock down.

Why does just not being good enough have to be defeatism?  Like I said, what Brian wrote was just meaningless hyperbolic nonsence.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #724 on: July 10, 2020, 09:24:40 AM »
I have been down to Divizion 3 with them chrisw1.  When you have done that you can say I post bollocks.  Otherwise show a bit of respect.  Not for me I have been called a ****** by better men than you.  For the Forum.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #725 on: July 10, 2020, 09:25:20 AM »
The worry is the future intent of the owners, they will be i a position to offset the investment with incoming transfer revenues.
So any talk of being well placed next season is meaningless until we know where the owners are at.
It’s Just like the talk of easier fixtures and winnable games.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #726 on: July 10, 2020, 09:27:50 AM »
I have been down to Divizion 3 with them chrisw1.  When you have done that you can say I post bollocks.  Otherwise show a bit of respect.  Not for me I have been called a c*** by better men than you.  For the Forum.
I know you've been a fan for a long time Brian, but if you post on a forum them people react to the words you write not the years under your belt.  You may be a better fan than me but I know nonsence when I see it.

Offline Ads

« Reply #727 on: July 10, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
The worry is the future intent of the owners, they will be i a position to offset the investment with incoming transfer revenues.
So any talk of being well placed next season is meaningless until we know where the owners are at.

They could well decide they've had enough. No indication of that though.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #728 on: July 10, 2020, 09:44:11 AM »

No indication of anything.
I am just pointing out that the assumption that we are going to be in Div 2  wedged up is somewhat premature.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #729 on: July 10, 2020, 09:48:09 AM »
I don't think we are staring into any kind of abyss. It will be a massive disappointment if we go down but it won't be a total disaster. Possibly losing the likes of Grealish and McGinn will be the main blow but if it comes to it, we'll be back. That's not defeatism, that's taking it on the chin that we've not been good enough.
There's an echo in here ... :-)
And, I agree with your comment!

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #730 on: July 10, 2020, 10:35:47 AM »

It is a slight worry though. Businesses all over the world are having to reassess their positions. As you say no indication so far but similarly no reason to assume that they are immune (no pun intended).

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #731 on: July 10, 2020, 10:55:27 AM »
I have a gut feeling, nothing more, that NSWE will be looking to sell a stake in in the club at some point.  I can't see them looking to bail out in the short term as nothing in their track record as investors (as far as I can see) suggests Sawiris or Edens are the type to panic.  As long as they stick to the overall plan of the rebuild, we can still come out of all of this a much stronger club in the medium to long term.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 05:52:55 PM by Billy Walker »

Offline Ads

« Reply #732 on: July 10, 2020, 10:59:56 AM »

It is a slight worry though. Businesses all over the world are having to reassess their positions. As you say no indication so far but similarly no reason to assume that they are immune (no pun intended).

Fair enough. Everything is temporary, so there is always a residual risk. Its not something high on my list of concerns though.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #733 on: July 10, 2020, 05:04:00 PM »
I have zero worries about the owners pulling out/selling up/losing interest/going bust

they bought us when we were a Championship club they are not the cut and run types imo

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #734 on: July 10, 2020, 05:07:55 PM »

Indeed.

When they took over, they spoke about wanting the club to be self sustaining.  Rather than shoot for the moon/ do what it takes to get back to European football.

Which was welcome, to an extent.  After the lunatic before. 

But if it's starting to look like a financial black hole they might reassess. Events on and off the pitch this year won't have helped that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal