collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by oldtimernow
[Today at 09:47:59 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Dante Lavelli
[Today at 09:45:57 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Brend'Watkins
[Today at 09:42:19 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 622122 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #4365 on: July 19, 2022, 04:21:39 PM »
Well we don't exist in a vacuum. We were in the Championship 3 years ago, so bridging the gap to top 4 is going to take longer than 4 seasons. Man City and Liverpool are light years ahead of everybody and so then you've got to try to finish ahead of Spurs and Chelsea. Chelsea have finished in the top 4 for 17 out of the last 20 years, and Spurs with their formidable forward line, 5 times in 7 years. We're improved a lot but still have too many regulars who aren't top 6 quality (Watkins, Mings, McGinn etc).
And Spurs have done some fantastic business in the last two windows - Bissouma, Persic, Spence, Kulusevski, Bentancur, Romero...  Not sure about Richarlison but feelhe may be decent in a better team.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4366 on: July 19, 2022, 04:22:54 PM »
Well we don't exist in a vacuum. We were in the Championship 3 years ago, so bridging the gap to top 4 is going to take longer than 4 seasons. Man City and Liverpool are light years ahead of everybody and so then you've got to try to finish ahead of Spurs and Chelsea. Chelsea have finished in the top 4 for 17 out of the last 20 years, and Spurs with their formidable forward line, 5 times in 7 years. We're improved a lot but still have too many regulars who aren't top 6 quality (Watkins, Mings, McGinn etc).
And Spurs have done some fantastic business in the last two windows - Bissouma, Persic, Spence, Kulusevski, Bentancur, Romero...  Not sure about Richarlison but feelhe may be decent in a better team.

Agree totally. Manager's not bad either.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #4367 on: July 19, 2022, 05:36:49 PM »

Yes I agree.  I thought they were on the wain post Poch but fair play to the tight fisted wanker he’s put them back on the straight and narrow, much to my chagrin

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4368 on: July 19, 2022, 05:39:45 PM »
Anyone see the Aljazeera documentary featuring Dr Tony?

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4369 on: July 19, 2022, 05:45:40 PM »
I would say if we are honest, they have got more experienced, and most likely better managers.  We're hoping we have grabbed the top "up and coming" one - but thats a gamble the sky 6 dont have to take

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4370 on: July 19, 2022, 06:53:37 PM »
I would say if we are honest, they have got more experienced, and most likely better managers.  We're hoping we have grabbed the top "up and coming" one - but thats a gamble the sky 6 dont have to take

There are no guarantees though.  Arsenal and Spurs went for experience in Emery and Mourinho, to less than great effect.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4371 on: July 19, 2022, 07:17:56 PM »
We have to be realistic; we're nowhere near the top 4 and won't be for awhile. We fell down at the worst point and our trajectory to recover to where we are now has been very good - still ahead of schedule. There will come a time when once again, clubs offering Champions League football will come calling for the likes of Martinez, Cash, maybe Kamara and Ramsey if they continue to progress. We'll likely struggle to keep them but could make huge profits from sales. Where we've gone wrong before is not recovering quickly enough with unwise investments and that's been pretty consistent over the last 30 years. The model we should be aiming for (at present) is Sevilla; invest wisely to progress, sell the talent at a profit and then re-invest wisely. They've done this for close to 20 years. They're always ready for their better players leaving and still they compete beyond their means and win trophies. If we follow this model successfully with the owners we have, our financial strength will eventually allow us to go beyond a Sevilla model to a different one where we can potentially (finally) keep our best players. I think our owners are realistic to know we can't just bridge the gap immediately but are demanding - not necessarily a negative. They're investments and commitments to youth development and in the stadium are long term - not quick returns on investments although they will of course add value in a potential future sale but I think they're in it for the long term. 60 points is realistic this season and will reflect progress. It will also mean we'll be in a better position with regards recruitment next summer.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #4372 on: July 19, 2022, 07:40:55 PM »
Totally agree Leon.
These owners we have, in my opinion are doing things the right way and thank god we’ve got them.
Growing the youth set up while investing in the first team is what I want our club to continue to do.
Add to that the investment to BMH and Villa Park shows they are the right people to take us forward.
This top 4 malarkey is something I detest because taking part in Europe’s elite tournament should come to those who deserve it by winning their respective league.
I get more from seeing our young players develop than I would seeing us finishing 4th and dancing round the pitch.

Up The Villa!!!!!

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4373 on: July 19, 2022, 07:42:55 PM »
Yeah, of course - but generally speaking they can mitgate risk that way

There are no guarantees though.  Arsenal and Spurs went for experience in Emery and Mourinho, to less than great effect.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4374 on: July 19, 2022, 08:47:24 PM »
Tomorrow is the anniversary of shit shoes selling up to Wes & Nas I believe.

Happy anniversary you magnificent bastards.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4375 on: July 19, 2022, 09:17:15 PM »

Agree with this although Liverpool are in an interesting phase as I think they'll miss Mane and have some older key players. They've been pretty fortunate with their prior recruitment and as they're not big spenders they will need this to continue which is by no means guaranteed.

I would say we're looking at continuing our upward progress (whether that's 6th, 7th, 8th) for the next few seasons. Then hopefully we'll be in a position to do similar to Citeh, Chelsea and Liverpool i.e. keeping those promising youngsters that can make the the first team and selling off the others for 10-20m fees thus freeing up FFP for the additional big signings we need. By then VP will have been redeveloped and Klopp and Pep may have buggered off so the landscape may have changed a bit again.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4376 on: July 19, 2022, 10:24:07 PM »
Tomorrow is the anniversary of shit shoes selling up to Wes & Nas I believe.

Happy anniversary you magnificent bastards.

When small heath fans thought we were going out of business. SHA was something like this …

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4377 on: November 01, 2022, 04:15:12 PM »
Soooo, given our commitment to Emery, of the longest managerial deal in our history, as well as nice long deals for some of our better players, and the redevelopment of Villa Park and it's environs, are we now satisfied that the owners really are still as committed as we thought? There were some questions before but given the quality of the man coming in, and the things I guess he was promised, are we all feeling positive again?

My gut feeling is that these guys really are in it for the long haul, they want to succeed and are putting the framework in place.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #4378 on: November 01, 2022, 04:20:52 PM »
Yes. I'm hoping that the fallacy of the Gerrard experiment/risk has proven to them the need for a talented, experienced manager/coach and without one everything else is almost rendered pointless. I very much doubt they will take a chance on an unproven appointment again because of personal connections.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4379 on: November 01, 2022, 05:16:36 PM »
Soooo, given our commitment to Emery, of the longest managerial deal in our history, as well as nice long deals for some of our better players, and the redevelopment of Villa Park and it's environs, are we now satisfied that the owners really are still as committed as we thought? There were some questions before but given the quality of the man coming in, and the things I guess he was promised, are we all feeling positive again?

My gut feeling is that these guys really are in it for the long haul, they want to succeed and are putting the framework in place.

I have never doubted their commitment and all the trappings of infrastructure, stadium etc are great but i would like to see us starting to pay the big bucks for top class players.

Our biggest purchase to date is Buendia (£33m) which for the larger clubs is below the cost for an average full back

Our keeper - as great as he is / was cost £20m where the hopeful European clubs are buying them for £70m+

I am not just talking about the Cite£ lot either, quite a few clubs are spending £50+ for players yet we seem stuck with a glass window on transfer fees

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal