collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: NSWE Investment  (Read 621691 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: NSWE Investment
« Reply #3555 on: December 08, 2021, 02:02:24 PM »
I've been over there twice. The first was for a wedding in Vegas which we turned into a road trip taking in amongst others Reno, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, LA and a flight to New York. Like a few others have said, the American people we met really were very friendly. They do love us Brits.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3556 on: December 08, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »
Somewhere Wes Edens is reclining, eating monkey-nuts and scrolling through this thread with a regular chuckle.

Think he loves us.

Offline usav

• GM : 09.02.2019
« Reply #3557 on: December 08, 2021, 02:41:34 PM »
It's interesting reading these comments now as 47 year old me vs 26 year old me when I moved here.  I will make bullet points otherwise this will turn into an essay and get the whole discussion moved to off-topic.

- Vegas: do it, but I would say 3-4 days is all you need there, it can wipe you out otherwise.
 - Cali: huge state, would rank as the World's 5th largest economy if it were a country.   Go to San Diego, San Fran, Napa Valley - you won't be disappointed.
 - People in general:  avoid politics and controversial subjects, it's just not worth it.  Everyone will be super nice to you regardless of background, voting history or anything else.  Just accept it's different and move on.

Offline martyn ellis

• http://www.martin-martyn.co.uk
« Reply #3558 on: December 08, 2021, 03:38:24 PM »
My wife and I did the cross-States trip a few years ago; San Francisco to New York by rail and bus in 13 days. Exhausting but also amazing. Met very warm and friendly people everywhere. Took a bit of time to get used to some of the customs, such as the tipping system (don't undertip or you'll likely get an earful), but generally loved it. Favourite quotes - a lady in a Frisco art gallery saying 'San Francisco isn't like America' (true enough); a guy at the Hoover dam discovering that both our grandfathers were from the same coalmining town in South Wales (Merthyr) and when I asked him if he'd ever been his retort was 'They told me not to go'. Magic. And the guy on the train in Colorado with his 15-year-old daughter asking us open-mouthed why we don't smoke dope every day.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #3559 on: December 09, 2021, 06:17:14 AM »
Yeah I got that, SB. I'm just a bit protective of California. The High Sierras is my happy place.

yeah, as you and others have said, you can't generalise about people and places especially in somewhere as vast as America so a snapshot of decaying downtown LA is no more valid a take than anywhere else. Although I will probably continue to generalise about London  8)

That's because you are probably narrow minded  8) ;). The real London is a wonderful place full of great people. Like any big city there are idiots and you only hear the worst. You could say the same thing about any region of the UK. All my family and extended family come from (and most still live) in London and they are great.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #3560 on: December 09, 2021, 07:05:26 AM »
Yeah I got that, SB. I'm just a bit protective of California. The High Sierras is my happy place.

yeah, as you and others have said, you can't generalise about people and places especially in somewhere as vast as America so a snapshot of decaying downtown LA is no more valid a take than anywhere else. Although I will probably continue to generalise about London  8)

That's because you are probably narrow minded  8) ;). The real London is a wonderful place full of great people. Like any big city there are idiots and you only hear the worst. You could say the same thing about any region of the UK. All my family and extended family come from (and most still live) in London and they are great.

Like you all my family and siblings were born in London with just me the solitary Brummie so I've spent a lot of time down there and indeed worked down there for a period. So my view of the place is at least based on experience in this case.  8)

Offline JD

• Stay Free
« Reply #3561 on: December 09, 2021, 07:24:27 AM »

Like you all my family and siblings were born in London with just me the solitary Brummie so I've spent a lot of time down there and indeed worked down there for a period. So my view of the place is at least based on experience in this case.  8)

But you are still wrong mate. I love London, most of the issues with the people are the wannabee mockneys who actually come from the Home Counties.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #3562 on: December 09, 2021, 08:08:32 AM »
Dunno. I think to an extent the environment rubs off on people, so if you live in an endless dreary suburb then you're probably not going to be the friendliest. I'm always baffled why anyone would choose to live there personally, but perhaps i'm missing the charm  ;)  I still have to go down there at least once a year but the highlight for me is always getting past watford and the gridlocked traffic on the M1. ;)

Offline JD

• Stay Free
« Reply #3563 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:37 AM »
Try going to some places on Essex instead mate. London will feel like going to paradise. There are some great community areas in parts of London, suppose it depends where you are going. Bit like Birmingham and any other city.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #3564 on: December 09, 2021, 08:30:33 AM »
yeah i'm sure there is. I'm not making out Birmingham is some sort of friendly paradise or anywhere else for that matter, just London is the extreme of that sort of urban living. The size has a lot to do with it.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #3565 on: December 09, 2021, 10:40:28 AM »
I wouldn’t mind a blast in Vegas.   
I wouldn’t be doing any any gambling just on the lash. 
My take is it very cheap to eat and drink there.  Or has that changed.
What are we talking for a meal and a pint.  Hotel per night etc.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3566 on: December 09, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »
I wouldn’t mind a blast in Vegas.   
I wouldn’t be doing any any gambling just on the lash. 
My take is it very cheap to eat and drink there.  Or has that changed.
What are we talking for a meal and a pint.  Hotel per night etc.

It was cheap when I went as the exchange rate was nearer $2 to the £, but the old Freemont St was way cheaper than anywhere on the strip, and was ace.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3567 on: December 09, 2021, 10:45:28 AM »
Just thinking, is the MLS about the same standard as bottom half Championship/top half League 1?  We might be using it to loan players out to.  Just thinking that it'd avoid (for a few players) potential Louie Barry situations - we could loan the player out knowing they were getting the right coaching, and were playing regularly in the right position?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3568 on: December 09, 2021, 10:49:31 AM »
Just thinking, is the MLS about the same standard as bottom half Championship/top half League 1?  We might be using it to loan players out to.  Just thinking that it'd avoid (for a few players) potential Louie Barry situations - we could loan the player out knowing they were getting the right coaching, and were playing regularly in the right position?

"There's two options for you lad, you can go to Rotherham or Vegas for a year. What's it to be?"

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3569 on: December 09, 2021, 11:24:32 AM »
You're not from New York City, you're from Rotherham
So get off the bandwagon and put down the handbook

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal