collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Tony’s Statement.  (Read 323596 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Tony’s Statement.
« Reply #2235 on: July 31, 2018, 09:31:26 AM »
Although I am not saying that Xia didn't add to our financial problems but he inherited a financial time bomb of existing players' contracts. I think this gets forgotten with what has gone on since.

It's not forgotten, but Xia bought the club, and when you do, you buy all of the assets and liabilities that it has.  He'd have done his due diligence so none of it should have been a surprise.

That's true so none of it should have been a surprise. But the approach he took was to invest to get us out as opposed to a more conservative approach. Which could have been the way to go. No doubt there was naivety in a number of his decisions along with mistakes.
Was he naïve? Or did he entrust the available funds to people who spent it on the wrong players in the wrong system? - maybe that was his naivety (answering my own question!).

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2236 on: July 31, 2018, 01:04:24 PM »
Anyone read the FT article on why the Chinese owners are having difficulty? It's behind a paywall so I can't get back on again, though you may be able to first time.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2237 on: July 31, 2018, 01:09:06 PM »
Anyone read the FT article on why the Chinese owners are having difficulty? It's behind a paywall so I can't get back on again, though you may be able to first time.

I did. Can’t post the link or even paste the article. FT are paranoid about their content being shared. Xia is mentioned but the article stresses that very little is known about his background or finances.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 01:12:23 PM by Chico Hamilton III »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2238 on: July 31, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »
Although I am not saying that Xia didn't add to our financial problems but he inherited a financial time bomb of existing players' contracts. I think this gets forgotten with what has gone on since.

It's not forgotten, but Xia bought the club, and when you do, you buy all of the assets and liabilities that it has.  He'd have done his due diligence so none of it should have been a surprise.

That's true so none of it should have been a surprise. But the approach he took was to invest to get us out as opposed to a more conservative approach. Which could have been the way to go. No doubt there was naivety in a number of his decisions along with mistakes.
Was he naïve? Or did he entrust the available funds to people who spent it on the wrong players in the wrong system? - maybe that was his naivety (answering my own question!).

The problem was that the funds that he said were available, and signed off the annual accounts to this effect, actually weren't.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2239 on: July 31, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
Tony was full of shady shit but deserves a modicum of thanks for getting two genuinely minted people n board to save the club from oblivion. I wouldn't bet on seeing him inside VP again, mind.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2240 on: July 31, 2018, 01:33:38 PM »

The problem was that the funds that he said were available, and signed off the annual accounts to this effect, actually weren't.

Or were when he signed them and subsequently became unavailable.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2241 on: July 31, 2018, 02:06:49 PM »

Or were when he signed them and subsequently became unavailable.

Quite possibly.  The end result is the same though, money that he promised to keep the club going wasn't available.

As for thanking Xia (comment before yours) for getting new investors in, I think I'll wait and see how it pans out.  The same was said about Ellis and Lerner, and neither of the new owners exactly worked out that well.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #2242 on: July 31, 2018, 02:38:01 PM »
Tony was full of shady shit but deserves a modicum of thanks for getting two genuinely minted people n board to save the club from oblivion. I wouldn't bet on seeing him inside VP again, mind.

You’re not for one minute suggesting that a seat next to Tony comp has finished !?

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2243 on: July 31, 2018, 02:54:20 PM »

You’re not for one minute suggesting that a seat next to Tony comp has finished !?

what would you ask him if said competition was still on ?   

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #2244 on: July 31, 2018, 03:08:00 PM »
It would be great to see what happens if it is still on and aLF TiTiMUs gets to SIT NEXt TO HiM  ::)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #2245 on: July 31, 2018, 03:46:29 PM »
It would be great to see what happens if it is still on and aLF TiTiMUs gets to SIT NEXt TO HiM  ::)
That would probably remove Tone from the Board, quick-like.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2246 on: July 31, 2018, 04:45:44 PM »
How do your words and sentences sound in conversation when the letters are a mix of capitals and lower case sprinkled with emoji's?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2247 on: July 31, 2018, 05:31:38 PM »
Both have unusual ways of typing, never been seen together  :o

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #2248 on: July 31, 2018, 05:46:31 PM »
I don't think Xia has any power any more and will shuffle off into the sunset in the next 6-12 months.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2249 on: July 31, 2018, 05:56:17 PM »
Do you see a valedictory appearance at VP, Chelts?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal