collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Championship 2018-2019  (Read 133282 times)

Offline chrisf

Re: Championship 2018-2019
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
Where's Kodjia? Why are we selling everybody And replacing nobody?

Because we've got to find £50m from somewhere.

It's like listening to people moaning about brexit. We're all doomed I tells ya. Doomed.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2018, 08:41:20 AM »
Where's Kodjia? Why are we selling everybody And replacing nobody?

Because we've got to find £50m from somewhere.

It's like listening to people moaning about brexit. We're all doomed I tells ya. Doomed.
As with Brexit, there’s every justification to be extremely worried.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 08:42:31 AM »
If we are £50 million over FFP, then at the end of the season we'd have an embargo on registrations and a fine.

Seems it would be £47.5 million based on r.10.1.

Xia can put in another £8 million equity. Terry and Gabby going saves £5 million a year, Amavi sale adds £8 million.

The Related Party rules are wooly. I suggested it would be a subjective test and indeed it is. 5.5 provides a test that you must demonstrate the deal would be of equivalent value if carried out by a knowledgeable third party at arms length.

Is £10m a year overboard? 25% of a 7 year old Man City deal, I would suggest no. Carrington gets £10m from Chevy. BMH attract a couple of million? LUKE deal adds a few more?

The deals are all clearly designed with FFP in.
mind.

Exceptional items have a pretty broad range and they all appear discretionary too.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2018, 08:47:12 AM »
I don't think it will be financial armageddon either.

However I think this season will be our best run at top 2 in a few seasons unless the next manager we appoint is brilliant at making the 11 more than the sum of its parts. We haven't had a manager with that ability for quite some while.

For everyone who hate the play offs now because we lost, get used to them as that will be our best bet for promotion. Have to hope we might actually turn up once at Wembley.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2018, 09:37:53 AM »
Please no more play offs  - can't take that again.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2018, 11:42:46 PM »

I'd confidently predict now we won't be anywhere near 1st or 2nd next season.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2018, 04:17:15 AM »

Im sure Cardiff felt the same way this time last year too.  You just don't know, new manager, new ethos and suddenly you hit a formula, same manager playing a few kids and suddenly you get on a roll.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #67 on: May 30, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »

Let's wait and see after statements and transfer business

I then may join you in being confident about that prediction!

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2018, 10:45:52 AM »
We need to see what impact FFP has but knowing we will lose quite a few of the current first team, I just can't see us challenging for the top two positions. Possibly lower playoff positions.

We have utterly wasted the advantage the parachute payments gave us, now it's down to good management. *Wince*.

Offline Nastylee

« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2018, 12:25:32 AM »
The big bonus is there is no Wolves or Fulham in this league now. Just a collection of shit, pragmatic teams. Rowett has gone to the faves Stoke but they will play percentage football. WBA have an aging squad and will lose the odd decent player they have.They also have a manager that hasn't got a clue. The league is wide open this year so let's not give up yet.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2018, 12:38:56 AM »
Boro will be in top 2. They'll do everything Cardiff did this year.

I agree the relegated teams don't look hugely threatening particularly West Brom and Swansea. Stoke will be in the mix for top 6.

Bit harsh saying Darren Moore dosen't have a clue considering some of the managers he defeated back end of last season but those games were pressure less free hits for West Brom so completely different scenario in a division where they'll be expected to win games most weeks with a much changed team.

Offline russon

« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2018, 08:26:16 AM »
The item on the top of any list of priorities for next season has to be, to use the club motto, be prepared.   A good start to the season is absolutely imperative.  No faffing and fannying about with will he/won't he come dramas a week before the start of the season or key players going on global flights to play on international duty, or players housebound by jammed gates.  We must be fully match fit and knowing who is going to play where.  We fell out of the traps last August and never really recovered from it.  It must not happen again.
100% this. It seems ludicrous that such a plan isn’t considered a matter of course but how many clubs begin a season in a deeper turmoil than at any other time in their season?

Secure your signings early, boot out the deadwood, build a team ethic, establish your starting 11, begin the season on the front foot. Is this too much to ask? Instead we get sucked into the exhausting soap opera driven by agents and the media, posturing and preening their way through the summer. Pre-season friendlies which should be harmonising the squad become instead a shop window for grumbling players and the club is undermined as plans for the season are usurped by personal interests and vendettas. To think that our great club should be held to ransom by anyone, let alone agents and prima donnas, is nauseating.

Don’t let it happen Villa, get organised, get serious and learn from last season’s mistakes. There can be no excuses this time.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2018, 08:59:13 AM »
I saw one headline today that suggested that rivals were already circling the Villa carcass - what a load of total hyperbolic bollocks.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2018, 09:04:37 AM »
Frank Lampard taking over at Derby is a very interesting move.
He says he's a young manager who knows the needs of the dressing room.
I think that's very true and perhaps people like Bruce are a bit out of touch.

Out of many recent ex premier league  level professionals who have taken up managing over recent years and established named player I think Lampard will do very well.

What's good for Derby is that talk he's also brought in highly rated coach jody Morris from Chelsea who has had a lot of success in developing the young Chelsea players.

Have to say a bit envious about derby's move as villa could have gone for Lampard and somehow kept JT as player coaching role.

Excellent player who I think at this level will do fine.

It's just refreshing to hear him say
“We’ll aim high but we’re also realistic. “I want to be successful and that means promotion.” rather than Bruce say his 'there or thereabouts" and "big league“

Similarly to ourselves the owner has said FFP is very real so they have to be sensible and can't just spend.

Anyway I do see Derby as a rival in 2018/19 season and would find it gauling if they were successful but applaud their foresight if it works.

If it did and didn't work for villa by keeping Bruce or bringing in old names then one thing is we follow the example.

Each club is different but I would have liked villa to have explored Lampard move

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #74 on: June 01, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »
No thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal