collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:31:02 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:30:53 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 11:49:23 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:31:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:30:15 PM]

[Today at 12:29:33 PM]

[Today at 12:25:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 12:25:33 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 476085 times)

Offline RussellC

• GM : 04.04.2016
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #3705 on: September 21, 2018, 10:52:28 AM »
I don't deny he's experienced, but he's also never been more than an average defender, is now 35 and has played about 15 games in the last 18 months. Experience can be beneficial but, like Bruce, you're falling into the trap of massively over-valuing it compared to fitness, physique, technical ability and attitude (and also the fact that he acted like a c**t when he was here before).  I'd honestly rather we gave Samba another year if we want to sign an old man who can't run as cover.

In fairness, Collins has been more than an average defender. When he signed for us he was a mainstay in a top 6 Premiership side that would also challenge for both cup competitions.

He's played 35 Premiership games over the past 2 season so, in that sense, is far less past it than either Terry or Samba were when they joined-us.

Personally, I find it difficult to form an opinion on how he acted during his last spell at the club as nothing concrete has ever really come-out about that incident.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 11:06:16 AM by RussellC »

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #3706 on: September 21, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »
If it's a choice between bringing no one in or bringing Collins in I'd sooner bring no one in. I'd prefer it if they run a trial week for all H&V posters 18-50 and picked the best one.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3707 on: September 21, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »
He'd be coming in to do a similar job to Samba I would have thought and while I wouldn't have gone for him in particular, it's a long season and he might be needed.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3708 on: September 21, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
McCormack a man down under then.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3709 on: September 21, 2018, 12:50:17 PM »
He'd be coming in to do a similar job to Samba I would have thought and while I wouldn't have gone for him in particular, it's a long season and he might be needed.

Could'nt De Laet or Elphick have done that job? What was the point of getting rid of both of them if it was just to open the way to sign James Fucking Collins?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3710 on: September 21, 2018, 12:52:20 PM »

Could'nt De Laet or Elphick have done that job? What was the point of getting rid of both of them if it was just to open the way to sign James Fucking Collins?
Absolutely, letting Elphick go was madness without a definite plan in place. 

Online Clampy

« Reply #3711 on: September 21, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »
Agree with Chris. It's not that he's let Elphick go, for me it's that he let him go without having someone lined up to come in.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #3712 on: September 21, 2018, 01:49:14 PM »

It's just stupid, I really don't get him at all. I really hope we do not sign Collins either. Can he even still play? I thought he was injured for most of the last year. That aside he also pissed me right off when he was last here and I was glad to see the back of him.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3713 on: September 21, 2018, 02:58:37 PM »
Agree with Chris. It's not that he's let Elphick go, for me it's that he let him go without having someone lined up to come in.

not just someone lined up, someone better.  If Terry had arrived  within a day or 2 I don't think anyone would have a problem but it's 3 weeks later and we're being linked with a player who is, at best, on a par with Elphick (given age, fitness, etc). If Collins joins it's just a case of churn for the sake of churn, which is just what Bruce does with transfers.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3714 on: September 21, 2018, 03:14:11 PM »
Elphick is a terrible player - I'm not saying Collins is any better but the former is mince

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3715 on: September 21, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »

not just someone lined up, someone better.  If Terry had arrived  within a day or 2 I don't think anyone would have a problem but it's 3 weeks later and we're being linked with a player who is, at best, on a par with Elphick (given age, fitness, etc). If Collins joins it's just a case of churn for the sake of churn, which is just what Bruce does with transfers.
I think the reality is they had that French lad lined up and it fell through.  Still hugely naive to let Elphick go before it was sorted.  This mess could really derail our season.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #3716 on: September 21, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »
But was it? Elphick has hardly played since Bruce arrived - even Samba got the shirt before he did and that tells you everything. As for the French lad, everything he's said since indicates that he was never going anywhere this summer and the same goes  for the geezer from Scotland.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3717 on: September 21, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »

Not sure about that Paul, as it will be pretty much an emergency measure to cover a key position where we are short.  How we ended up being so short in a key position is another matter altogether though.

Online Clampy

« Reply #3718 on: September 21, 2018, 04:43:56 PM »

Not sure about that Paul, as it will be pretty much an emergency measure to cover a key position where we are short.  How we ended up being so short in a key position is another matter altogether though.

Agree. Not sure what the churn comment was all about.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:46:32 PM by Clampy »

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3719 on: September 21, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »
Would prefer we make do with Axel or Jedi or Bree alongside Chester till the new year than being back Collins who even when not a creaking 35yr old was 6 out of 10 most weeks with the odd good game where he threw himself in front of the ball constantly, a role Hutton could do just as well.

The main problem with Chester & Jedinak as a combo to me is that whilst both are good at attacking the ball neither are good with the ball at their feet, Collins is no better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal