collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread  (Read 475983 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2018, 07:44:23 PM »
the difference between us abd Fulham is we don't want to keep most of our team as they are not good enough and don't have time on their side

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
sadly Kodjia looks a busted flush and Hogan was never going to thrive here.  All the loan players failed so its goodbye to them. A step too fat for captain John so a warm fare the well to him too. Starting immediately cherrypick/fast-track the best of the yoof, scour the globe for some good Bosmans, work the loan market like crazy and above all, get in someone who can make that work as a cohesive whole. Simple.

I think Kodjia regain form with a proper offseason not rehabbing. I'm not worried about him at all, he's a player.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2018, 07:45:28 PM »
I'd offer Hutton 20-30K a week for another year, it would cost more than that 1-1.5m to replace him. Any money we have needs to be spent elsewhere.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:26 PM »
Not really fussed who ends up going. When it came to the crunch to produce on the big stage they failed.

So, with that said and the possibility of JT, Johnstone, Chester, Snodgrass, Onomah, Jack, Kodjia etc. leaving in the off season.. do you think we'll be able to compete at a top 6 level next year?

It could take us years to build a squad and challenge again. Quite frankly, I'm a little uneasy about the next few years.
Surely that was up to the Dr and his team to plan. Instead they spunked money on any old shit with no plan. Much the same as we did under Lerner. Call it The Villa Way

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
Hutton is gone. Taylor will still be here.....

Whelan's got another year hasn't he? I know he's taken plenty of stick but thought he was o.k in the run in when he played. Lansbury aswell is still here. Bjarni will probably move on.

Of course these players on their own aren't match winners or will get us promoted but they are experienced heads so won't completely lose that factor.

I've never been as much a Hutton fan as some on here, but if we're shedding experience, to me it'd make sense to offer him a contract on reduced terms to cover both full back positions (whether he'd accept it is another matter of course). I think Taylor will be on his bike, he's clearly out of favour.

For me, if Whelan, Lansbury or Bjarneson aren't considered good enough to feature in the first 14 in a final, there's little point in keeping them as I'm sure Whelan and Lansbury at least are on decent money. I'd keep Jedinak but try to find his younger, fitter replacement for him to teach.

We can't keep Hutton because of FFP, I thought that was pretty much decided.

Yes likes of Whelan and Bjarni aren't starters for us but again championship is long, plenty of two games in 75 hours so we need a decent squad to rotate so if they still want to be here I'd keep them.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 07:48:10 PM »
Hutton is gone. Taylor will still be here.....

Whelan's got another year hasn't he? I know he's taken plenty of stick but thought he was o.k in the run in when he played. Lansbury aswell is still here. Bjarni will probably move on.

Of course these players on their own aren't match winners or will get us promoted but they are experienced heads so won't completely lose that factor.

I've never been as much a Hutton fan as some on here, but if we're shedding experience, to me it'd make sense to offer him a contract on reduced terms to cover both full back positions (whether he'd accept it is another matter of course). I think Taylor will be on his bike, he's clearly out of favour.

For me, if Whelan, Lansbury or Bjarneson aren't considered good enough to feature in the first 14 in a final, there's little point in keeping them as I'm sure Whelan and Lansbury at least are on decent money. I'd keep Jedinak but try to find his younger, fitter replacement for him to teach.

We can't keep Hutton because of FFP, I thought that was pretty much decided.

Yes likes of Whelan and Bjarni aren't starters for us but again championship is long, plenty of two games in 75 hours so we need a decent squad to rotate so if they still want to be here I'd keep them.

I thought I'd seen Bruce say this week they'd have further talks with Hutton either way?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2018, 07:50:45 PM »
look i like alan but eboughs enough - I don't want us to spend tens of thousands a week on him. Time to move on.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2018, 07:51:51 PM »
We'd probably have kept him if we went up so that was the plan.

Maybe he would be up for a pay cut as he loves it here but if club like Stoke or dare I say it WBA comes in for him offering what he gets here you wouldn't blame him for moving. Dosen't have to move house and keeps on same wage to a team probably more likely to go up.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
Is it a case of waiting to see which weird and wonderful ways Dr Tone finds to get around FFP? It’s already started with the kit deal and the training ground sponsorship deal.

I think the loan players will go and will be replaced by other loanees. We will need a strong keeper unless Johnstone comes back, I think Terry will stay and also Chester. Other than that we need some wheeling and dealing.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2018, 07:55:25 PM »
on a Del boy scale

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
Is it a case of waiting to see which weird and wonderful ways Dr Tone finds to get around FFP? It’s already started with the kit deal and the training ground sponsorship deal.

I think the loan players will go and will be replaced by other loanees. We will need a strong keeper unless Johnstone comes back, I think Terry will stay and also Chester. Other than that we need some wheeling and dealing.

I honestly don't think it will be as much armageddon as people think it will be. We're still a big name at this level and with the crowds we get I'm sure our wages are still o.k.

Yes we will lose players but which club dosen't at this level when you go up. Derby will also have to sell not going up so many sides in same boat as us.

End of the day going down the experienced route we were still 5-6 points short of top 2 which was the pre season target. Maybe with lower expecations next year and a new manager we can surprise a few.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:59 PM »
Not really fussed who ends up going. When it came to the crunch to produce on the big stage they failed.

So, with that said and the possibility of JT, Johnstone, Chester, Snodgrass, Onomah, Jack, Kodjia etc. leaving in the off season.. do you think we'll be able to compete at a top 6 level next year?

It could take us years to build a squad and challenge again. Quite frankly, I'm a little uneasy about the next few years.
Surely that was up to the Dr and his team to plan. Instead they spunked money on any old shit with no plan. Much the same as we did under Lerner. Call it The Villa Way

I mean.. we made it to the playoff final, no? We had every chance to go up. Dr Xia financed a squad that should have been more than capable to earn promotion.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2018, 08:09:44 PM »
sadly Kodjia looks a busted flush and Hogan was never going to thrive here.  All the loan players failed so its goodbye to them. A step too fat for captain John so a warm fare the well to him too. Starting immediately cherrypick/fast-track the best of the yoof, scour the globe for some good Bosmans, work the loan market like crazy and above all, get in someone who can make that work as a cohesive whole. Simple.

I think Kodjia regain form with a proper offseason not rehabbing. I'm not worried about him at all, he's a player.

Dont think he is the same mobile tricky player he was pre-injury, ankle injuries finished Bent and JPA and I fear the same has has happened Kodjia

In saying that Id back him all day to be a better player for us next season than Hogan.

Id look to get Bamford in from Boro, Pulis will play Justhead next season.

we badly need better options in midfield, both Jedinak and Whelan have done well for us but we can afford to let one of them go

Taylor, Hogan, Lansbury need to be moved on too.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 08:11:44 PM »
Bamford would cost about 15m.

We're past the point of signing other teams key players, not that it's helped us much with McCormack and Hogan not doing much.

We will have to gamble on players from lower loans and the loan market more, probably a bit like Lambert's period but at a less cruel level for novices.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 08:29:31 PM »
RHM deserves game time next season.

With a better manager you might find McCormack and Hogan look decent again.

Key signing is a better manager, no idea who that is though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal