collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Superstitions for Wembley  (Read 5825 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Superstitions for Wembley
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2018, 01:18:42 PM »
I was mentioning that I was going to have to wear the jacket I wore to the Liverpool and Boro games as it was lucky for semi finals and Wembley, I wasn’t looking forward to it in 25 degree sunshine.

My mate saved the day by pointing out I wore it for the Arsenal game so it was unlucky for finals.

As you were...

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »
I'm thinking of working as every time I work during a Villa game we win and I get a new client. I have a meeting booked but must decide tomorrow whether or not to cancel it. I'd be back to see the second half. It's tempting.

One thing I won't be doing is going to a pub/bar showing the game. Wembley 2000 and again in 2015 put a stop to that.

Saturday is going to be a strange day. Win and everything is alright with the world. Anything else isn't worth considering.

Go to the fucking meeting!

I was planning to but the bugger's just canceled. Now what? Maybe I'll just watch from 6.20pm to see the penalty shoot out.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 09:19:37 PM »
I'm thinking of working as every time I work during a Villa game we win and I get a new client. I have a meeting booked but must decide tomorrow whether or not to cancel it. I'd be back to see the second half. It's tempting.

One thing I won't be doing is going to a pub/bar showing the game. Wembley 2000 and again in 2015 put a stop to that.

Saturday is going to be a strange day. Win and everything is alright with the world. Anything else isn't worth considering.

I was planning to but the bugger's just canceled. Now what? Maybe I'll just watch from 6.20pm to see the penalty shoot out.

Go to the fucking meeting anyway!

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 10:14:59 PM »
I haven't bought any new clothes for a decade at least, so I'm pretty confident I own nothing that hasn't at sometime borne witness to a twatting.

My usual colours are scarf, hat, gloves and jumper, weather dependent. They won't be joining me this weekend. I never wear a shirt to a match though, so I'm going to break with convention, and wear my '89-'90 one as my contribution to the claret and blue wall.

Firstly, it still fits!

Secondly, according to eBay, it's worth £150!

It's not superstitious, but they have to start somewhere. Here's hoping it's regularly worn and never washed for many years to come.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 10:20:05 PM »
Ive only ever once worn a Villa shirt to a game, the Everton away SGT finale.

It was a momentary lapse.

Offline ZhongYi

• "The left side (of the Holte)"
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 09:47:45 AM »
do not buy Makita tools

Offline Diablo

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 09:56:21 AM »

And then arrange and go to another one! Crap! Got to the end of the thread and I'm now a nervous wreck as your meeting is cancelled - get phoning around - meet a shaman, priest, witch doctor or door to door vacuum seller!!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:04:47 AM by Diablo »

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 10:04:29 AM »
do not buy Makita tools

I'm gonna need a bloody good reason not to!

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
I am not bringing my "Salford Villa" Union Flag which is cursed forever and I disown it .A new flag will grace 536 and I hope it dawns a new era of ensign luck.

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 02:38:00 PM »
Bought a sprig of lucky heather from a gypsy in town the other day and made a wish...

Offline HK Villan

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 08:24:02 PM »
I crossed my fingers for most home games of the 80/81 and 81/82 seasons, but stopped after that as I left the UK.  However, I have recently started doing it again.  Not as flexible as I used to be, but it seems to work wonders. 

When watching on TV I also physically "head" the ball out away from our goal when it comes in from corners or crosses.  After years of doing so (bearing in my I do not watch every game) Villa have never conceded a goal when I've done it.  I've got my kids doing it as well.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.  I can't be there but will of course be watching on 'TV' with fingers crossed and neck muscles suitably flexed.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
I crossed my fingers for most home games of the 80/81 and 81/82 seasons, but stopped after that as I left the UK.  However, I have recently started doing it again.  Not as flexible as I used to be, but it seems to work wonders. 

When watching on TV I also physically "head" the ball out away from our goal when it comes in from corners or crosses.  After years of doing so (bearing in my I do not watch every game) Villa have never conceded a goal when I've done it.  I've got my kids doing it as well.

Really looking forward to tomorrow.  I can't be there but will of course be watching on 'TV' with fingers crossed and neck muscles suitably flexed.

I always try to visualise a wall across the opposition goal. Sometimes it is brick, sometimes it is plate glass. I concentrate really hard on making sure it is completely solid. When I used to take my neighbour's daughter, and my little cousin, I used to get them to do it too. Sometimes we raise our hands in front of us and repeat the word 'Wall! Wall, Wall!'

Sometimes I swear it is only us that have kept it out - you look and think it's the only explanation.

Offline Lizz

• GM : 16.03.2022
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »
No idea why I consider a certain watch and pair of earrings as 'lucky', but they're on my dressing table ready for tomorrow.

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 10:15:44 PM »
My purple and black socks which made their debut for the Wolves 4-1 win are washed and ready. Also, stopping at Hilton London Metropole where we stayed for the Liverpool Semi-Final, but made the mistake of Hilton Hyde Park for the Final!

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2018, 10:19:00 PM »
We've never lost a game on a day when I've had a threesome with Swedish twin sisters.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal