collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough Post-Match Thread  (Read 36755 times)

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
Re: Aston Villa vs Middlesbrough Post-Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2018, 01:27:43 PM »
What is the fascination with running on the pitch anyway? I must admit I did go on after the Blackburn semi but got 10 paces on took a picture and walked off again, I’d hardly call it the most exciting moment of my life.

Offline tom jennings III

• GM : 30.04.2015
« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2018, 02:03:15 PM »
Were boro singing where you were when you were shit after the game?

No that was most of the upper tier at the lower tier invading the pitch.

Yep, have some decorum lower tier, we've beaten boro in a championship playoff semi, no more no less.

Online VillaBoy_23

« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2018, 02:05:04 PM »
Tbh the pitch invasion made the whole post-match celebrations extremely anti-climactic. The music went off and the banner (which I now realise wouldn’t of come down anyway) stayed where it was. It then turned into a booing session from the Holte while a load of people paraded on the pitch like we’d won the Prem. All a bit strange really and took the gloss of what had up to that point been a great night.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2018, 02:10:01 PM »
I didn’t run on the pitch but so what? It didn’t ruin or take the gloss off the night. People take things way too serious. We’ve got to Wembley and people want to celebrate. Good luck to them.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #184 on: May 16, 2018, 02:12:30 PM »
I was irritated about the pitch invasion, more from the perspective of player safety and the inevitable fine.  However, I wouldn't want to see 1-2,000 people banned because of a bit of euphoria. 

Of course those goading the Fulham fans or hassling their players can fuck right off to the sty.

Offline Tony Erdington

• Being There
« Reply #185 on: May 16, 2018, 02:15:07 PM »
agree with the above.

I was in the lower Holte, and I think it just goes to prove them articles around the pitch wearing tango coats, are about as much use as a chocolate tea pot . I saw one make an effort to keep the idiots off the pitch, the rest did nothing. it was obvious it was going to happen as there was a swell of people to the front in the last 5 minutes.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #186 on: May 16, 2018, 02:40:17 PM »
I don't really mind the invasion. I think it's a bit naff, but I reckon the players, many of whom have got used to being ridiculed in recent years, will have enjoyed getting their chance to be heroes.

That said, the pyro is lame, and potentially dangerous, and people whose first thought after getting through to a vital final is to go and wind up the opposition are no better than Small Heathens.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #187 on: May 16, 2018, 02:54:12 PM »
Thought we contained them well all night bar the Johnstone opportunity and the subsequent free kick. He's not save a shot again.

Pulis will never change. To bring Bamford on and then shunt him wide for Gestede is just cowardice.

Shame Grabban didn't score. The place was like a powder keg second half and would have gone off if we'd have scored. Second half in particular the whole ground was incredibly loud.

Final point about the pitch invaders- they absolutely ruined it
 Utter morons.

Pretty much with you on this summary Ads.

A goal would have made the ground crumble I think.

Disappointed at the pitch invasion as I think it  curtailed the celebrations - great for the people on the pitch but shit for the rest of us who wanted to applaud the players properly.

I was very near the back of the Holte so not so easy to gauge the atmosphere (only 4-5 rows behind me, so different to being 20 rows lower and surrounded by sound) but the second half did feel very loud, louder even than Wolves.

Strangely i thought the build up to kick off was muted and was amazed how late the ground filled.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2018, 03:08:05 PM »
Thought we contained them well all night bar the Johnstone opportunity and the subsequent free kick. He's not save a shot again.

Pulis will never change. To bring Bamford on and then shunt him wide for Gestede is just cowardice.

Shame Grabban didn't score. The place was like a powder keg second half and would have gone off if we'd have scored. Second half in particular the whole ground was incredibly loud.

Final point about the pitch invaders- they absolutely ruined it
 Utter morons.

Pretty much with you on this summary Ads.

A goal would have made the ground crumble I think.

Disappointed at the pitch invasion as I think it  curtailed the celebrations - great for the people on the pitch but shit for the rest of us who wanted to applaud the players properly.

I was very near the back of the Holte so not so easy to gauge the atmosphere (only 4-5 rows behind me, so different to being 20 rows lower and surrounded by sound) but the second half did feel very loud, louder even than Wolves.

Strangely i thought the build up to kick off was muted and was amazed how late the ground filled.
I looked in on a Boro forum and on the whole they're a decent bunch who didn't seem to be blaming the ref,the pitch or anything except for pulis's negativity. Some of them said they couldn't believe how quiet the ground was. Could be sour grapes could be acoustics but I thought the atmosphere was cauldronesque at times. From my seat in the Trinity lower I thought the Holte was as loud as I've ever heard it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 03:13:37 PM by The Edge »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2018, 03:15:30 PM »
From the Boro forum:

"The atmosphere tonight was almost literally deafening, which anyone who goes away regularly will tell you is rare"

"At times the noise was hurting my ears. I've been going away a long time and that was loud"

"Agree with the OP. It was deafening"

Beautiful. Well done boys and girls. I hoped at half time everyone could shake the nerves and roar them over the line and we did. It sounds cheesy and cliche but attacking a packed Holte really does make a difference, it implores the players to attack and bays for a goal. Agree with Ads, you could tell second half the ground was on the verge of exploding if we'd scored.
Loved the rallying atmosphere last 15 minutes aswell. The claret and blue army chants all around the ground were superb.

Where is the link for those quotes, please?

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2018, 03:16:25 PM »
I think I heard the Boro fans twice. They may have been singing, but couldn't hear them.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2018, 03:28:47 PM »
Atmosphere was one of the best I've experienced at VP for quite a while.
I was surprised because - when all is said and done - it was a game that we should have won, and it is only the conduit to a final play-off game.

The team showed discipline and purpose: I thought Snodgrass was exceptional in his effort and resolve, and I thought the whole team put ina shift, created some convertible chances and defended well when required.

I thought Boro came out to intimidate us, putting in some questionable challenges and I don't really understand why they didn't pick up more bookings. Friend's studs-up challenge on Johnstone should have been punished more severely IMHO, and Grealish and Snodgrass were targeted. Dean had a typically inconsistent game.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #192 on: May 16, 2018, 03:29:20 PM »
Tbh the pitch invasion made the whole post-match celebrations extremely anti-climactic. The music went off and the banner (which I now realise wouldn’t of come down anyway) stayed where it was. It then turned into a booing session from the Holte while a load of people paraded on the pitch like we’d won the Prem. All a bit strange really and took the gloss of what had up to that point been a great night.

I felt exactly like this, but I have had a word with myself quite honestly. We wait and wait for exuberant moments, and it's sad if when we get one we decide its 'small time' to celebrate.

I also thought that it was OK for those on the pitch but rubbish for the rest of us, but that was my choice. It was the same for the previous pitch invasions after we got to Wembley in 2015 & 2010 - so my objection isn't really about being left out, it's about thinking it wasn't a good enough reason to be on the pitch. The truth is that lots of people thought it was.

This morning, seeing the pictures of players and fans celebrating on the pitch together, I am a bit cross with myself for being so angry about it last night and actually spoiling it for myself.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #193 on: May 16, 2018, 03:30:27 PM »
I've already had an e-mail from Fulham about tickets as I always buy tickets for our game in the Neutral end and have been to the other odd game there.......my boss is a Fulham fan and doens't hink they'll sell out 38k.

I don't either despite it being ten minutes up the road. Fulham have hardcore support of about 15k. In the prem they got 25k due to increased away allocations and getting in tourists into that neutral section.

If so do the tickets get passed over or do we just get empty seats at the stadium

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #194 on: May 16, 2018, 03:31:58 PM »
Did I read recently that Chelsea were interested in signing Traore for a reported £30 million? If that is the case Jack must be worth £700 billion, he's streets ahead of Traore, his crossing and decision making is atrocious.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal