collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Clampy
[Today at 07:39:53 AM]

NSWE Investment by Clampy
[Today at 07:36:01 AM]

Ollie Watkins by stevo_st
[Today at 07:04:35 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough Semi Final 2nd Leg: Pre-Match Thread  (Read 19245 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Aston Villa v Middlesbrough Semi Final 2nd Leg: Pre-Match Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2018, 12:17:21 PM »
I worry Bruce would play the same side if all fit. With Elmo out I would prefer Bree but think he will defer to experience and Thor. Jedi will be knackered but I expect Bruce to to start him. Would like Onomah in and Hourihane out if I'm honest as he has more pace.

First goal as ever is key.

Me too, he has form for selecting players like Jedi for sat-tue games and him looking fucked because of it.

I'd bring in Bree, Whelan and Onomah for Elmo, Jedi and Hourihane and I'd seriously think about starting Kodjia and shifting Grabban out left with Adomah dropping out as a more tactical change.

I suspect they're going to start with Fabio so I'd like us to have a threat in behind him so he's less comfortable coming so far forward. I'd try to let Grabban stay up field as much as possible (with Onomah drifting across to help Hutton out if he's getting doubled up on) to make the most of that as well, but I doubt Bruce would be willing to do that.  It's slightly more counter-attack but given they're chasing a goal I think it's worth a look, if not from the start then definitely later on if they are getting joy with him coming forward.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2018, 12:17:25 PM »
Onomah for Hourihane would give us an injection of pace and physical presence.

I think part of the drop off with QPR was going from a nigh on full and bouncing Villa Park, hammering a promotion rival, to a mid-week game against no mark opposition in front of a 2nd round league cup atmosphere. It was flat, so the drop off was as much psychological as it was physical.

I think the bulk of the squad would be ok, but that extra pace and presence in midfield would be a lift.

I agree we need something else in midfield as the 2nd half Hourinae was invisible.So its ether Thor or Onomah coming in for him. Jed is a tough one as he played very well but I'm not sure he has the legs to go again so quickly.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 12:58:15 PM »
I'd personally try and keep as close to the same team as possible. I think we need to leave Jedinak in there just for his aerial presence because we know where Pulis' teams are a threat from. The only unforced change I'd consider making is Birkir for Hourihane

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
There is going to be a turnaround in the semi final second leg matches. I don’t think both teams in lead after the first leg will go through. Just need to make sure it’s not us who get mugged.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2018, 01:03:32 PM »
Boro rarely score first away from home and do more scoring second half.

I think out of all the stats 91% of villa matches and home have either been a win 61% or a draw 30%

Are things going to change so dramatically in one 90 mins.

I like to think not.

Some stats for the record :

Boro 23 matches away have in 9 times conceded 6 goals within 15 mins

That must be a record. Let’s hope tomorrow is the tenth time they concede 6 goals in the first 15 minutes. I’ll relax then.

Ha OK that would be great but I meant have conceded 6 times in first 15 minutes of matches on the road. (football field)

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2018, 01:06:13 PM »
I'd personally try and keep as close to the same team as possible. I think we need to leave Jedinak in there just for his aerial presence because we know where Pulis' teams are a threat from. The only unforced change I'd consider making is Birkir for Hourihane

100 % with this and Bree to fill one of the full back roles.

Lest we forget their imposing centre half Ayla is missing so that's a plus and boost as they will shuffle defence.

Offline MalcolmP

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2018, 01:10:15 PM »
Onomah for Hourihane would give us an injection of pace and physical presence.
And laziness - IMHO Hourihane put in more effort in 2nd half on Saturday than Onomah has put in all season. (Even though he was restricted in tackling due to ridiculous early yellow, but still shadowed and closed down players) And Hourihane is more likely to snatch a goal. We need Hourihane's work ethic which so often goes unnoticed.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:16:02 PM by MalcolmP »

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 01:13:08 PM »
I think we are going to win...so why am I so nervous?

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
Only we can mess this up

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2018, 01:24:18 PM »
I'd definitely play Jedi if he is feeling ok.  I would hope the atmosphere and enormity of the game would help carry him through.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2018, 01:28:19 PM »
One thing we have a habit of doing is making hard work of it. Whilst I'd take going through all day long by any means necessary, I'd just love tomorrow to be as comfortable as possible.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »
Instinctively I would be pessimistic but lets look at the facts.

We are 1-0 up and that will cause a huge headache for Tiny penis - does he come out and play to get an equaliser or does he hold fire?  He does not have a great record of having to chase a game so 100% would rather be in our shoes than theirs. If they come at us we will pick them off with ease as the 4 centre backs he has for a back line are quite static if exposed. I would be more worried if we were 0-1 down and had to break them down as this is Penis's format of building a brick wall of defence and killing the game with time wasting tactics.

If Ayala is out then he will move the awful Shotten to CH which will negate his horrendous long throw tactics as he will not leave the centre to launch them. He is also f*cking shit so we need Grabben and Jack running at the tosser.

Adama, 1 cross aside, did what he always did and that was flatter to deceive. If this kid had come through Wigan's academy instead of Barcelona he would not have got this far. I genuinely thought the only player that worried us was Besic (sp) as he was popping up all over the place.

Jack - stop whining when they foul you - get up, smile and then demand the ball again. A prat like Mike Dean will probably book you for complaining so just let your feet do the talking.

Bree in a LB and swaps when Adama goes walkabout - other than that same side - they could not get through so why should they get through this time?

And for all those that say they are nervous - this is exactly the reason we go to games. VP under lights, full house and a deafening wall of noise.

Bring it on UTV
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 02:03:53 PM by Hookeysmith »

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
There is going to be a turnaround in the semi final second leg matches. I don’t think both teams in lead after the first leg will go through. Just need to make sure it’s not us who get mugged.
Fulham will turn it round tonight and go through.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2018, 02:05:46 PM »
Fulham will turn it round tonight and go through.

Have you seen the quote in the paper from one of their players "if Derby play like they did on Friday we will get the result, all they did was defend blah blah"
If I was their Manager I would drop him as that could easily be the kiss of death

Offline DennisHodgetts

« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2018, 02:18:43 PM »
I really believe we will do it tomorrow, but it will be tight, yet why have I got that feeling from exam results day when you are waiting to go in and open the envelope? I suppose it makes life exciting....UTV

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal