collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Snooker  (Read 24474 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
Re: World Snooker Championship.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 08:57:10 PM »
Cue everyone's favourite headline : TRUMP WINS!

Offline danno

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 09:15:58 PM »
Personally I'd have gone with: HIGGINS TRUMPED!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 09:47:05 PM »
He was fantastic. Happy to say I saw the World Champion. Admittedly he had arguably his worst session but never mind!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2019, 03:43:05 PM »
‘HIGGINS SMELLS TRUMP’

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2020, 03:40:54 PM »
Anyone been watching the old 80s finals on the BBC RB? Shocking how gung-ho and seat of the pants the play was compared to nowadays. Also you can almost smell the tobacco smoke off the velour. :)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2020, 05:47:49 PM »
Watched the Higgins vs Reardon one. It is amazing that Alex ever potted a ball, he jumps around like a bunny in a minefield every shot. He basically plays like me except that they go in. Also surprised they went with that rather than the semi-final against White, featuring possibly the best clearance ever.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:49:36 PM by cdbullyweefan »

Online devilla

• GM : Nov, 2012
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2020, 07:43:42 PM »
I watched the Reardon Higgins final they showed again. Higgins was all over the shop technically and the fact that he played as well as he did and usually being pissed as well, just shows what a genius he was. That clearance against White in the semi final that year was the greatest ever for me. I mean that blue when he had to screw back to the reds with a ton of side as well. Ridiculous.

This year's World championship has been re-arranged for 31st July to 16th August. Can't see it happening with a full crowd though. Hope it does as I'm going on the second Saturday and a mate of mine is coming from Qatar for it. He isn't sure if he'll be able to make it as they may still have 14 days quarantine for re-entering the country.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2020, 08:46:41 PM »
I have tickets for the final afternoon of the Quarter-Finals. They say that if it is behind closed doors this season then tickets carry over until next season's event.

I would prefer that, to be honest. Would rather go when things are more likely to be back to normal, and I can enjoy myself in Sheffield for a couple of days rather than just be straight there and back as everything is shut. Sheffield is a good drinking city and I don't want to go when all the pubs are shut!

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2020, 12:33:31 AM »
I have got excited every day this week when seeing Crucible Classics on BBC2. Once they show one that doesn't involve Jimmy White losing, I may tune in.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
Watched the Higgins vs Reardon one. It is amazing that Alex ever potted a ball, he jumps around like a bunny in a minefield every shot. He basically plays like me except that they go in.

Agreed, it's like watching club players compared to now with even Reardon going for pretty much everything. When did it switch to the more precise game we see nowadays? Was it the arrival of Hendry in 1990 or was it a progression during the mid-late 80s Davis era?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2020, 12:11:20 PM »
I think Hendry revolutionised the game in terms of break building. They would always look to pick off individual reds and play zero risk breaks. If they fall for you, great, but if not I'll win the frame in thirty breaks. Hendry was the first to always be looking to smash the reds open at the earliest possibility even when there were other pots available. You could tell he was always pissed off if he didn't win the frame in one visit and would quite often drop frames to far inferior opposition if it went scrappy.

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2020, 12:16:22 PM »
I think Hendry revolutionised the game in terms of break building. They would always look to pick off individual reds and play zero risk breaks. If they fall for you, great, but if not I'll win the frame in thirty breaks. Hendry was the first to always be looking to smash the reds open at the earliest possibility even when there were other pots available. You could tell he was always pissed off if he didn't win the frame in one visit and would quite often drop frames to far inferior opposition if it went scrappy.

That sounds plausible. Watched some of the re-run of his first final against White and he was simply superb. Still felt sorry for Jimmy.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2020, 10:12:30 PM »
Just read that Peter Ebdon has retired and immediately found out he is a rabid anti-vaxxer!

Online Brazilian Villain

« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »
1985 final reshown last night and amazing the amount of missed shots. Not BBC NI's greatest idea to show the Alex Higgins documentary at the same time as the final frame.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #44 on: May 04, 2020, 01:03:09 PM »
Wasn't there a final in the eighties when someone in the crowd shouted '"C'Mon" (whoever it was) which led to a crucial black being missed in the final frame? I think Jimmy White was involved. I'm not sure it was the World Championship final though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal