collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3-0 Reading Post Match Thread  (Read 11384 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Aston Villa 3-0 Reading Post Match Thread
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2018, 10:26:20 AM »
One thing I found a bit annoying was the lack of patience from the crowd.

It was the polar opposite to Saturday where we recycled possession without a plan. First half we put in a lot of crosses and got the ball moved, at a good tempo, into the wide areas quickly. We played in perhaps too straighter lines and patterns, but we should have been leading. The delivery I felt was consistently too long and we lacked numbers in the box.

Second half we had Snoddy come inside more to change the angles, with Grealish getting closer to him and Elmo and I felt we opened them up routinely. Lovely first goal, good that we had the midfield hit the box with the second and Hogan buzzed and harried for the third.

Thor gave us so much more mobility and he really did set the pace at which we've played and the result was inevitable; 10 or 11 men, it made no difference to the dominance.

It was a smart performance. Good use of the squad and subs. Its a pity we didn't freshen up like that after Wolves.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »
How did our old mate Bacuna do? I started watching just before our second, and didn't really notice him.

rubbish . which proves how did he stay here so long.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
How did our old mate Bacuna do? I started watching just before our second, and didn't really notice him.

rubbish . which proves how did he stay here so long.

I only noticed he was playing in the 2nd half and then it was because someone told me.  Looks like he's bulked up a bit too.

Offline Keeno

• Twitter
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2018, 10:38:18 AM »
One thing I found a bit annoying was the lack of patience from the crowd.

It was the polar opposite to Saturday where we recycled possession without a plan. First half we put in a lot of crosses and got the ball moved, at a good tempo, into the wide areas quickly. We played in perhaps too straighter lines and patterns, but we should have been leading. The delivery I felt was consistently too long and we lacked numbers in the box.

Second half we had Snoddy come inside more to change the angles, with Grealish getting closer to him and Elmo and I felt we opened them up routinely. Lovely first goal, good that we had the midfield hit the box with the second and Hogan buzzed and harried for the third.

Thor gave us so much more mobility and he really did set the pace at which we've played and the result was inevitable; 10 or 11 men, it made no difference to the dominance.

It was a smart performance. Good use of the squad and subs. Its a pity we didn't freshen up like that after Wolves.

Agree with every point you made Ads. Apart from bringing in Kodjia who wasn't fit at the time, Bruce should have freshened it up for QPR to keep players hungry and it's such a pity that the six days following that wolves win will likely cost us (automatic) promotion this season.

Great win, in 10 days it's possible we could be 2 points behind Cardiff with 5(?) to play so who knows. This league is so unpredictable.

Offline Ayup

« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2018, 10:43:05 AM »
Happy with the three points but Reading are 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' can see why they have struggled this season.
Good article, Darren.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2018, 11:28:39 AM »
Weird to think that the same Readin side played us off the park in our third game this season

Though at the time we really didn’t have many established partnerships within the side

We also drew with Hull first game.

Our poor start has cost us when you think Cardiff won their opening five games.

Whoever is manager we need to be at it from the first whistle next season.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2018, 11:31:42 AM »
Guy behind me was saying Bacuna would enhance the Man. City-Liverpool game if he was playing. He was joking of course...

I reckon he's disappointed you weren't watching his every move, had a special Jason Lee haircut all done for the occasion.

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2018, 11:46:49 AM »
I thought Kodja looked really sharp and with Albert looking ropey in recent games , his timing getting back to match fitness is so important with the play offs coming up.

I think Id give him a good 30 mins against Norwich.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »
din't Reading thrash us at VP last season with virtually the same side?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »
That we wasted so many crossing opportunities was frustrating, they seeemd to let us have the ball wide and packed the penalty area themselves. With our wingers playing on their ‘weaker’ foot we always checked back before either over hitting the cross or chipping into areas where the defenders were well positioned and ‘set’.

In a Reading team as poor as I’ve seen in our time here, I was impressed by Liam Moore, their number 6. His defensive positioning was mostly excellent.

Got there a bit early last night and noticed in the warm up that the midfielders and forward players were doing an exercise which involved getting the ball wide and crossing the ball in early.  Thought our crossing was  pretty average last night on the whole, with too many hitting the first man or going out of play.  Hourihane did put an absolute beauty in for Hogan in the second half though which he headed just over.   

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2018, 11:57:53 AM »

Bacuna has obviously dragged them down.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2018, 12:04:05 PM »

They massively overachieved last year.

One of those clubs I just don't like, horrible stadium miles out of the town centre and very plastic fans when you get inside.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2018, 12:07:36 PM »
That we wasted so many crossing opportunities was frustrating, they seeemd to let us have the ball wide and packed the penalty area themselves. With our wingers playing on their ‘weaker’ foot we always checked back before either over hitting the cross or chipping into areas where the defenders were well positioned and ‘set’.

In a Reading team as poor as I’ve seen in our time here, I was impressed by Liam Moore, their number 6. His defensive positioning was mostly excellent.

Got there a bit early last night and noticed in the warm up that the midfielders and forward players were doing an exercise which involved getting the ball wide and crossing the ball in early.  Thought our crossing was  pretty average last night on the whole, with too many hitting the first man or going out of play.  Hourihane did put an absolute beauty in for Hogan in the second half though which he headed just over.   

I really struggled to see the point of our attack first half. The Reading centre halves were very comfortable dealing with our crosses into Hogan who never stood a chance. If we'd been playing Davis, Kodja or Grabban it would have made much more sense but tactically, after all the great build up work had been done, it was a very stupid plan.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2018, 12:08:43 PM »

Honestly don't even remember seeing him
Didn't realise he was playing until seeing these posts! Thought he was too busy playing in the Champions' League! ;-)

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2018, 12:10:13 PM »

Honestly don't even remember seeing him
Didn't realise he was playing until seeing these posts! Thought he was too busy playing in the Champions' League! ;-)

He was hard to recognise because of his change of hairstyle.

That and the fact that he was totally anonymous all evening.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal