collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by brontebilly
[Today at 06:46:52 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Drummond
[Today at 06:45:56 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:43:32 PM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Risso
[Today at 06:42:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:41:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Positivity  (Read 27600 times)

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: Positivity
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2018, 07:35:14 AM »
That's the spirit.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2018, 07:46:59 AM »
There's much I prefer about this league over the premier league.  It is less pompous, attracts far less empty media dialogue and is more competitive.  I suppose the thing I like most about it is that we win lots of games in it.  So there lies the rub.  I think the fact is that with FFP, we will be less competitive in this league next season, so we *need* to go up, but I won't be crying in my beer if it doesn't happen.   

This is the first season in half a decade that I've enjoyed.  So for that, even if we don't go up, the players and manager largely have my gratitude.

Kind of my opinion too. I want us to go up because otherwise there's nothing to aim for, but if we don't so be it. Maybe next year we'll have to use more of the youth players and hopefully the likes of RHM and O'Hare would play a leading role.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2018, 08:02:18 AM »
Paul Lambert's dream of reducing Villa fans' expectations has come to pass.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2018, 08:17:57 AM »
It's not over by a long shot. There are still nine games to go and they still have Wolves at their place and still have to come to us. We've a good side and have been on great form of late. One game doesn't mean that's all gone out the window.

I'm with Smirker. We could be right in the mix by the time they come to Villa Park.

It’s not the one game, it’s the seven points.

True, Riss, but that might be down to four points by Saturday night, with Cardiff having to go to Derby on Sunday. There are still twists and turns to come.

Until we are seven points behind with 44 played, then we can still do it.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2018, 12:58:19 PM »
We’d absolutely ballsed up in ‘88, went into the last game needing to win and other results to go our way, drew, and found incredibly that the two other teams that could have took second spot lost at home to teams with nothing to play for.

It’s not over.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2018, 01:48:24 PM »
There's much I prefer about this league over the premier league.  It is less pompous, attracts far less empty media dialogue and is more competitive.  I suppose the thing I like most about it is that we win lots of games in it.  So there lies the rub.  I think the fact is that with FFP, we will be less competitive in this league next season, so we *need* to go up, but I won't be crying in my beer if it doesn't happen.   

This is the first season in half a decade that I've enjoyed.  So for that, even if we don't go up, the players and manager largely have my gratitude.

Kind of my opinion too. I want us to go up because otherwise there's nothing to aim for, but if we don't so be it. Maybe next year we'll have to use more of the youth players and hopefully the likes of RHM and O'Hare would play a leading role.

The problem with this being that with every passing year and starting with next year we no longer have financial advantages over the also rans and will become one ourselves.  So the enjoyment will soon dissipate.  I honestly believe the other night was a watershed moment, this season's Stoke game.  I just hope I am wrong.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2018, 01:51:10 PM »
It's not over by a long shot. There are still nine games to go and they still have Wolves at their place and still have to come to us. We've a good side and have been on great form of late. One game doesn't mean that's all gone out the window.

I'm with Smirker. We could be right in the mix by the time they come to Villa Park.

True, Riss, but that might be down to four points by Saturday night, with Cardiff having to go to Derby on Sunday. There are still twists and turns to come.

Cardiff will do Derby.  Derby will do well to make the play offs.

Offline Reuben

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
We’d absolutely ballsed up in ‘88, went into the last game needing to win and other results to go our way, drew, and found incredibly that the two other teams that could have took second spot lost at home to teams with nothing to play for.

It’s not over.

I was thinking that the QPR result had similarities to those run-in home games in 88 v Stoke and Leeds.  I'm hoping that our game v Cardiff will be the Bradford one.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

Agreed, they're falling apart. We just have to make sure we don't follow suit.

If I had to put my money on it now I'd say Villa v Fulham in the play-off finals which on paper would be a cracking affair. Who comes through that is anyone's guess really.

Offline SashasGrandad

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2018, 02:27:44 PM »

Derby will have no Huddlestone if he gets suspended due to his red card

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2018, 02:37:41 PM »
I have not looked at oddschecker but my back of a fag packet would go 1/20 Wolves, 2/5 Cardiff,  4/6 Fulham, 6/4 Us, 2/1 the field for promotion.  Much for us hinges on when and if we play Fulham in the play offs.  It is Occam's Razor (I think).  Head to head we are in with a good shout against Wolves or Cardiff but they have the points cushion.  Fulham are the bogey.

Wolves 1/100
Cardiff 2/7
Fulham 1/1
Villa 15/8
Middlesborough 9/2
Derby 5/1
Bristol C and Sheff Utd 14/1

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2018, 02:41:19 PM »

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2018, 03:52:33 PM »
It is over.

It's not you, it's me.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2018, 04:22:19 PM »
Paul Lambert's dream of reducing Villa fans' expectations has come to pass.

Assue you mean me Brian - I'm just saying it like I see it.  Making up the numbers in any league isn't my idea of having the right 'spirit'.  And unless we spent £200m + that's all we'll be doing.

Don't get me wrong, I know where you're coming from.  But Paul Lambert has jack shit to do with my opinion.  I juts can't be arsed getting emotional about going back up to a league we will, at best, tread water in unless there is serious money available. 

Nowt wrong with enjoying watching the Villa again.

Offline cheltenhamlion

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »
It is 2 courses for a tenner at The Bartons on a Tuesday and we have another couple of Tuesday night home games yet.
Now that really pisses me off as I will have to eat both courses >:( How can I be positive?

The brandy glazed chicken wings starter is a triumph.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal