collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The International Cricket Thread 2018  (Read 145194 times)

Offline tomd2103

Re: The International Cricket Thread 2018
« Reply #1170 on: September 04, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »
No changes to the squad for the Oval, though Vince ha been released.  They really are a stubborn bunch aren't they?

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1171 on: September 04, 2018, 01:32:37 PM »
Good on you chef, takes a good man to admit that it's over before getting kicked. We can remember the brilliance now without feeling guilty about wanting you to be dropped.

Yep and he truly is a legend. His record, especially for an opener, is incredible.

Not to take anything away from his achievements at all, but I do think he was somewhat fortunate to play in an era when there weren't too many world class opening bowlers operating on the international scene.  Especially when you think of the 90's when the likes of Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath, Lee, Donald, Pollock, Akhtar, Wasim and Waqar were around.   

Against that, I'd say that there aren't many great batsmen whose best tours came away from home in as different (and sharply juxtaposing) conditions as Cook's 2010-11 Ashes + tour of India combo. He was an absolute monument those tours.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1172 on: September 04, 2018, 01:59:08 PM »
Good on you chef, takes a good man to admit that it's over before getting kicked. We can remember the brilliance now without feeling guilty about wanting you to be dropped.

Yep and he truly is a legend. His record, especially for an opener, is incredible.

Not to take anything away from his achievements at all, but I do think he was somewhat fortunate to play in an era when there weren't too many world class opening bowlers operating on the international scene.  Especially when you think of the 90's when the likes of Ambrose, Walsh, McGrath, Lee, Donald, Pollock, Akhtar, Wasim and Waqar were around.   

Against that, I'd say that there aren't many great batsmen whose best tours came away from home in as different (and sharply juxtaposing) conditions as Cook's 2010-11 Ashes + tour of India combo. He was an absolute monument those tours.

Good point Monty and his record is indeed remarkable.  Thinking back, I can't ever recall him being injured either which is another testament to longevity.  As someone who has played the game at a much inferior level, I have always thought it is amazing that players like him have the stamina and concentration to bat for such long periods of time, often in very hot conditions.

Not to detract away from Cook's achievements, but I have often wondered how players from the 90's and early 2000's like Michael Atherton would have fared had they had central contracts and played in Cook's era.   

Online Monty

« Reply #1173 on: September 04, 2018, 02:19:46 PM »
Oh I mean, shorter boundaries, heavier bats, better pitches, all this. Still, I think this adaptability puts Cook in as an all-timer, simply because that's incredibly difficult in any era and few do it.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1174 on: September 06, 2018, 06:25:23 PM »
Is it just me, or do very good players like Cook become undroppable because of their support from the London press, no matter how badly they perform, whereas Belly was always under pressure, from these sources, to be dropped after a handful of failures?

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #1175 on: September 06, 2018, 08:28:08 PM »
Wouldn’t say so. I remember lots of talk about being dropped or losing the captaincy.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1176 on: September 06, 2018, 08:31:31 PM »
Wouldn’t say so. I remember lots of talk about being dropped or losing the captaincy.

This.  I remember Cook being really stubborn when we all knew his days as captain were at an end.  That said, I am interested to see who replaces him as no-one screams out, expect perhaps Rory Burns, another gamble.   We have lots of inconsistent all-rounders but few top order obvious choices at the moment.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1177 on: September 06, 2018, 11:15:20 PM »
I think Burns is obviously going to get a chance, the real problem is who you pair him with. Jennings doesn't seem to be the answer but there's slim picking at the top of the order in the county game.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1178 on: September 07, 2018, 12:14:55 PM »
Better start today, I always think that if the openers get through the first 15-20 overs then they've done their main job, even if they don't score a huge amount of runs. It means the players at 3 and 4 are coming in with a softer ball and, usually, with the opening bowlers out of the attack.

I don't think it's enough to save Jennings yet but at least he's not failed completely.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1179 on: September 07, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
Better start today, I always think that if the openers get through the first 15-20 overs then they've done their main job, even if they don't score a huge amount of runs. It means the players at 3 and 4 are coming in with a softer ball and, usually, with the opening bowlers out of the attack.

I don't think it's enough to save Jennings yet but at least he's not failed completely.

With Cook departing the stage after this game, I can't see Jennings being dropped and leaving us having to find two openers.  I think Ali at 3 would solve a lot of problems should it come off (especially as it will allow us to play a second spinner without having to leave a seamer out), but I have my doubts it will. 

Online paul_e

« Reply #1180 on: September 07, 2018, 12:55:39 PM »
Jennings went playing a silly shot, that feels like something that could've been said about him far too many times in his England career and it's why I'm not convinced he's worth persevering with.

I hope Moeen works out at 3, he's far too good a batsman to have him at 8 or 9 and it would solve a lot of problems and gives the side a much better balance.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1181 on: September 07, 2018, 02:09:31 PM »
Jennings went playing a silly shot, that feels like something that could've been said about him far too many times in his England career and it's why I'm not convinced he's worth persevering with.

I hope Moeen works out at 3, he's far too good a batsman to have him at 8 or 9 and it would solve a lot of problems and gives the side a much better balance.

Agree about Jennings Paul, but the two things that might go in his favour for the winter are that his struggles have mainly been against the moving ball in this country and that there aren't really two viable opening options at the moment. 

I think Ali at three would solve some problems, but I like him at 8 where he can take the game away from teams.   

Online Monty

« Reply #1182 on: September 07, 2018, 02:18:29 PM »
Frankly, I'm just pleased Cook hasn't failed this innings. Don't know if he'll get any sort of proper score, but this looks ok.

Online paul_e

« Reply #1183 on: September 07, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »

Agree about Jennings Paul, but the two things that might go in his favour for the winter are that his struggles have mainly been against the moving ball in this country and that there aren't really two viable opening options at the moment. 

I think Ali at three would solve some problems, but I like him at 8 where he can take the game away from teams.   

I don't think we need Ali for that if we have Woakes and Curran doing the same job. At the top he's got the ability to stick around and bat long but also adds some ability to counter-attack which we've not had in the top 3 for a while.

I think Jennings will definitely go on tour but I suspect a third opener might be in the party if he doesn't show some upturn in form.

Frankly, I'm just pleased Cook hasn't failed this innings. Don't know if he'll get any sort of proper score, but this looks ok.

Agree completely, he's just got one of the most deserved 50s ever, it'd have been horrible if he'd struggled today.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #1184 on: September 07, 2018, 03:31:50 PM »
Nice interview of Chef by Aggers was played on TMS during lunch

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal