collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brentford v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 21061 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Brentford v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #210 on: December 27, 2017, 04:38:34 PM »
He has a point I think about us missing our best players because Kodjia and Terry are both very good. Terry in particular gave us an air of confidence at the back but we shouldnt be missing them to the point where we're out of the play off spots.

Kodija was particularly poor this season on his return from injury when we were playing our best football.

Maybe Terry's leadership and quality will inspire better displays on the pitch, certainly Johnstone and Chester will improve but Bruce can't seem to get us to improve.

Bruce in his desperation brought Kodjia back way to soon and was never actually fit enough to play. And so it proved as he broke down soon after.

Maybe it's possible that he came back too early, but that would have been a decision by everyone concerned, not solely the manager.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 04:40:11 PM by Clampy »

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #211 on: December 27, 2017, 04:58:30 PM »
He has a point I think about us missing our best players because Kodjia and Terry are both very good. Terry in particular gave us an air of confidence at the back but we shouldnt be missing them to the point where we're out of the play off spots.

Kodija was particularly poor this season on his return from injury when we were playing our best football.

Maybe Terry's leadership and quality will inspire better displays on the pitch, certainly Johnstone and Chester will improve but Bruce can't seem to get us to improve.

Bruce in his desperation brought Kodjia back way to soon and was never actually fit enough to play. And so it proved as he broke down soon after.

Maybe it's possible that he came back too early, but that would have been a decision by everyone concerned, not solely the manager.

from an article earlier I read about SB sacking at Sunderland so you could be right

'during which players such as David Meyler were rushed back from serious injuries only to suffer further complications'

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #212 on: December 27, 2017, 08:04:26 PM »
Has Bruce improved a single player he has either purchased, or inherited? My view is an indefatigable no.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #213 on: December 27, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
James Chester?  Sam Johnstone? Hutton? 

Offline Steve67

« Reply #214 on: December 27, 2017, 08:53:18 PM »
James Chester?  Sam Johnstone? Hutton? 

Your obviously entitled to your opinion matey but Chester was always good, Johnstone is a maybe, Hutton is a strange one as he was essentially replaced by Elmo. I honestly think he’s stifled nearly every player he’s got. A couple of exceptions in Terry, Johnstone and Chester but they play in positions where you cannot hide. Many of his signings have gone backwards. He blames the heightened expectations. I blame him.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #215 on: December 27, 2017, 09:01:26 PM »
I wouldn't say he's stifled Adomah and although he's not brilliant, Taylor hasn't been that bad a buy.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #216 on: December 27, 2017, 09:08:03 PM »
well he's basically a cheque book manager even though he's rarely got hold of a decent chequebook. Walked out of sheffield U and Hull claiming there was no money, sacked by sunderland and huddersfield after wasting a fortune. He's not a guy who's going to bring through youth if he has money, that's for sure
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 09:12:26 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline Steve67

« Reply #217 on: December 27, 2017, 09:11:36 PM »
I said nearly Clampy. Adomah is absolutely a notable absence but one who Bruce had to pick because Alberts form was so good. Snodgrass, Hogan, Elmo, Whelan and so many others have performed elsewhere but not for Bruce. Some of the others are really very ordinary including, for me, Jedinak, Taylor, sadly, Hourihane too. So very frustrating. Davis has gone backwards.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #218 on: December 27, 2017, 09:18:36 PM »
He didn't start Adomah in a league game until the middle of September so i'm not sure he can even be given a win for his form.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #219 on: December 27, 2017, 09:21:17 PM »
Keinan Davis - I’ll get my coat.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #220 on: December 27, 2017, 09:28:32 PM »
I wouldn't say he's stifled Adomah and although he's not brilliant, Taylor hasn't been that bad a buy.

I think Taylor was a really poor signing, especially when you consider the fact that he's decided to go with inverted wingers and 2 holding midfielders.  That style can works if you have full backs who bomb forward and provide quality into the box, doing it and then playign Hutton and Taylor is one of the core reasons why we don't score enough goals.  This is why I'm convinced he's just winging it when it comes to tactics, even if you ignore the performances and focus just on the signings he's made it's all a little bit all over the place, with no obvious plan for they were going to be used.  When you add in everything that's happened since it's even clearer that "don't concede many and hope for the best at the other end" is the jist of it.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #221 on: December 27, 2017, 11:21:56 PM »
well he's basically a cheque book manager even though he's rarely got hold of a decent chequebook. Walked out of sheffield U and Hull claiming there was no money, sacked by sunderland and huddersfield after wasting a fortune. He's not a guy who's going to bring through youth if he has money, that's for sure

It's the standard British manager shtick though, man management and cheque book in back pocket.

But even with that it should be good enough to get out of the second division. Bruce has managed it before especially last time out at Hull. Getting them back up was some achievement given the backdrop of fans and board at war and don't think he spent much either.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal