collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2 Sheffield United 2 Merry bloody Xmas Post Match thread.  (Read 18814 times)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: Aston Villa 2 Sheffield United 2 Merry bloody Xmas Post Match thread.
« Reply #165 on: December 24, 2017, 11:39:40 AM »
The amount of times the midfield received the ball from the defense
And they had an opportunity to turn and move forward
And we just went backwards

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2017, 11:50:13 AM »
I drove home with one thought. Why do our players look so scared of playing at Villa Park?. Our experienced premiership players against what was a Div 1 team last year unable to do the basics and making countless mistakes. Another poor away team made to look comfortable at Villa Park. I'm really struggling to see what we do for Brentford. Another late night and long drive on Boxing Day.Can't wait?

Poor away team? Going into the game they were sixth and had won five out of their eleven away games, which as away records go isn't too shabby. They are also still riding the wave of confidence from their excellent season last year. Plus the big ex nose up front has always been a handful. Having said that, I thought their defender should have been sent off. If anything his second foul was worse than the one he get booked for. A prime example of referees bottling out of showing a second yellow.

Sheffield United have lost their way recently. Only drew at home to SHA and also lost to Preston last week barely having a shot on target.

They are a decent team but bang out of form. No excuses not winning that from 2-0 up.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2017, 12:53:21 PM »
No imagination, creativity, clear chance creation. Atmosphere in the stands reflects the quality of the team at he moment....poor. lacking flair and imagination. All down to Bruce and the management. 80 goals we need this season Wyness was quoted as saying.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
I knew I was in for a shit day when I locked myself out yesterday morning before leaving London and had to call a locksmith. I should have asked him to lock me in.

Random thoughts from a large selection of negatives to choose from:
A club like Villa should not need to play Jedinak at centre half. And playing a high line with him there is lethal.
We lack pace, particularly in midfield.
If Davis is not dominating his centre halves we have no attacking platform.
Snodgrass really adds nothing. Drop him and play Adomah on the right.
Hourihane should be payed close to the attack. As an all round midfielder he is lacking and has no pace.
Whelan actually broke play up well and played some decent passes in the first half. However not mobile enough (no pace) and I would tell him to not cross the half way line.
Grealish has the ability to beat players and create space but needs more players to move for him. However he does slow play down as he usually has ha.f a dozen touches in possession
We play far too many sideways and backwards passes
On several occasions our panicking clearances put us in deep trouble. Hoofing to row Z is acceptable when in trouble and gives you a chance to reorganise.

The atmosphere was dire. I was in the Holte upper and it was utterly dead. My last game was against Wednesday and I put the silence down to the early goal and being shit. Even at 2-0 yesterday it was quiet. That tells me something is seriously wrong. The only real animation came from anger at the ref, who awarded us a penalty that looked ropey to me, missed an obvious one for a push in the back on Davis, and should have sent off their number 6.

Highlight of the day was meeting Axl Rose with his wife and dad before the game. I think his Japanese wife was somewhat taken aback by the dowdiness of the Witton Arms, which incidentally has a Villa mirror on the wall proudly stating, "Aston Villa 1875".

Taylor offers no attacking threat.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #169 on: December 24, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »
Did anyone else notice that the big screens were promoting our FA Cup opponents as Peterbrough United instead of Peterborough United?

Offline BC54 VFC

• GM : 29.05.2015
« Reply #170 on: December 24, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »
Did anyone else notice that the big screens were promoting our FA Cup opponents as Peterbrough United instead of Peterborough United?
Probably also promoting that we're playing Middlesborough next Saturday.  ;)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #172 on: December 24, 2017, 06:35:30 PM »
My lad said to me after both Sheffield goals that it was noticeable that there was no one Villa player geeing up the rest to step it up.  No one with genuine leadership qualities.  Their heads went down and with it the game.

The same has been happening for years.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal