collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa Park Changes & Commonwealth Games  (Read 32118 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Villa Park Changes & Commonwealth Games
« Reply #165 on: March 30, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
It doesn't look like much of an improvement. I don't like them very much, but the Zombies clearly have the most attractive stadium in Glasgow.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #166 on: March 30, 2018, 07:53:20 PM »
Where are the Hospitality boxes in the Holte out of interest?

Online FatSam

« Reply #167 on: March 31, 2018, 10:56:21 AM »
No we didn't. It couldn't be a single tier because of distance from the pitch, and also because single tier stands look cheap and nasty.

I think what you are getting at is that at the time (post Taylor report) a lot of kop terraces were converted to seating with the minimum amount of work - pretty much just fixing seats directly to the existing terrace, like at Hillsborough. We were more ambitious and rebuilt the stand completely, seeking to improve sight lines and facilities etc. I'm not an expert but I don't think that it is the case that it couldn't be a single tier if re-built, more that the sight lines would be better if it wasn't. So I think that it is more a case of changing priorities from the immediate post Taylor report period to now. In my opinion something is lost by moving to a multi tiered stand - broadly the experience of being part of a mass of humanity. Of course, in the upper or lower Holte you are still part of a mass of humanity, just a smaller one.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #168 on: March 31, 2018, 03:08:43 PM »
Will we make any money from this?

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #169 on: March 31, 2018, 09:42:15 PM »
Are there any links or pics of what Dr Tony has completed with stadia in Far East anywhere ?

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #170 on: March 31, 2018, 10:06:11 PM »

I assume this refers to the bricked up / boarded up sections at the back of the Holte Lower. It looks like they intended to install boxes but never got round to opening them.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #171 on: March 31, 2018, 10:11:49 PM »

I assume this refers to the bricked up / boarded up sections at the back of the Holte Lower. It looks like they intended to install boxes but never got round to opening them.

They're windows along the lower upper concourse, aren't they?

I've not been to VP for other events, but I believe they're unshuttered for those, so normal non-football folks can look out on the pitch whilst enjoying a drink.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2018, 08:33:44 AM »
It was Ramsay's bar. The concourse is now all opened up and they keep the shutters down, but theyd be open until 15 minutes before kick off. Configuration of the lower Upper Holte concourse (that's right peasants, we have two concourses) must have changed 10 years ago.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #173 on: September 03, 2019, 03:16:33 PM »
Apologies for digging up an old thread but it seems Villa Park won't now be a Commonwealth Games venue because the 2022/23 season will need to start early because of the timings of the Qatar World Cup.

Birmingham 2022: Villa Park no longer a Commonwealth Games host venue - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/49563621

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #174 on: September 03, 2019, 03:21:20 PM »
It doesn't look like much of an improvement. I don't like them very much, but the Zombies clearly have the most attractive stadium in Glasgow.

I like how they've finished the corners opposite the main stand. Still seperate stands but enclosed. Corners of our ground could be improved. They look a bit of an afterthought at the moment, not in keeping with the rest of the ground.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2019, 03:35:03 PM »
Apologies for digging up an old thread but it seems Villa Park won't now be a Commonwealth Games venue because the 2022/23 season will need to start early because of the timings of the Qatar World Cup.

Birmingham 2022: Villa Park no longer a Commonwealth Games host venue - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/49563621

I don't really see the logic of this. Think we were only due to host the Rugby Sevens, which only takes a weekend. The Commonwealth Games schedule will be known well in advance of the football fixtures being decided so no reason whatsoever why the league couldn't have just ensured that we were away from home that weekend.

Was thinking of going to the Sevens but fuck going Coventry.... a terrible ground in the middle of nowhere for those who travel by public transport.

It does also seem to suggest that they are fairly confident that the Ricoh still won't be hosting a football team in three years, which might be of some concern to Coventry fans.

And in any case what if Wasps are at home?

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #176 on: September 03, 2019, 03:44:00 PM »
I'd assumed it was as much to do with ensuring the preparation of the pitch goes unhindered as anything else, CD. I imagine they are a bit more lax about it at the Ricoh.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #177 on: September 03, 2019, 04:53:21 PM »
Maybe. Maybe Villa have other plans for the stadium that summer, too.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #178 on: September 03, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »

I don't really see the logic of this. Think we were only due to host the Rugby Sevens, which only takes a weekend. The Commonwealth Games schedule will be known well in advance of the football fixtures being decided so no reason whatsoever why the league couldn't have just ensured that we were away from home that weekend.

Was thinking of going to the Sevens but fuck going Coventry.... a terrible ground in the middle of nowhere for those who travel by public transport.

It does also seem to suggest that they are fairly confident that the Ricoh still won't be hosting a football team in three years, which might be of some concern to Coventry fans.

And in any case what if Wasps are at home?

The rugby season doesn't usually start until September which leaves 3-4 weeks after the commonwealths to get the pitch back ready for them. For Villa the league will have started by then and the ground will be setup for football and advertising, which would all need to be changed and then changed back. The alternative would be a few away games at the start of the season but I'm not a fan of that.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #179 on: November 13, 2019, 12:48:17 AM »

This is how I want to celebrate if/when we rebuild the North or move to a new stadium. Estudiantes new stadium opening.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal