collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keith Wyness  (Read 140276 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Keith Wyness
« Reply #1005 on: October 21, 2020, 07:00:53 PM »
He was the first manager to bring anti football to villa during my time. The games were torture to watch. I can't forget seeing him punch the air after a home draw against stoke.

Whilst I don't disagree, Gregory and O'Neill came close. The difference was that they tended to win.

I think with them it was more that they had 1 attacking plan and if it didn't work then they went to 'hang on and hope'. For McLeish and Bruce that was the tactic.

Online ez

« Reply #1006 on: October 21, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
He was the first manager to bring anti football to villa during my time. The games were torture to watch. I can't forget seeing him punch the air after a home draw against stoke.

Whilst I don't disagree, Gregory and O'Neill came close. The difference was that they tended to win.

I think with them it was more that they had 1 attacking plan and if it didn't work then they went to 'hang on and hope'. For McLeish and Bruce that was the tactic.

McLeish is the only one who would take low scoring defeats rather than try to get a goal back.

Offline mike

« Reply #1007 on: October 21, 2020, 08:52:16 PM »

Gregory never fucked us over out of sheer spite.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1008 on: October 21, 2020, 09:14:00 PM »

I sat through some 0-0s that felt like he had.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1009 on: October 21, 2020, 09:15:30 PM »

The money he made, sorry was on, he didn't need to.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1010 on: October 21, 2020, 09:22:07 PM »
Fair play though, John Gregory wore lovely shoes.  He was the Ying to Tony Xia's Yang.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1011 on: October 21, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »
Did JG keep certain agents in business for the benefit of all concerned (apart from the fans)?

Offline mike

« Reply #1012 on: October 21, 2020, 10:21:55 PM »

The money he made, sorry was on, he didn't need to.

I don't think O'Neill did it for free and, whatever Gregory's faults, he wasn't as spiteful and hateful as O'Neill.

Edit, just seen Eamonn's post... I might be unaware of some facts. I think I'd marginally take greed over spite.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1013 on: October 21, 2020, 10:25:20 PM »
I hated John Gregory's tenure. To be fair, I was expecting us to be good back then.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1014 on: October 21, 2020, 10:29:59 PM »
I hated John Gregory's tenure. To be fair, I was expecting us to be good back then.

It started really well, with the sort of run that Dean is on now, and then got gradually worse over the years as working for Doug wore him down.  I've got lots of fond memories of that era though.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1015 on: October 21, 2020, 10:31:51 PM »

It started really well, with the sort of run that Dean is on now, and then got gradually worse over the years as working for Doug wore him down.  I've got lots of fond memories of that era though.

We could have been so much better though. If the only thing you lack is ambition, it's a damning indictment.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #1016 on: October 21, 2020, 10:43:19 PM »
I have a mental block with my assessment of John Gregory.  Once I read the report of him in disguise riding a borrowed motorbike going to try to tap up Benni McCarthy in the dead of night, I lost the ability to take him seriously.  O'Neill styling himself as a world authoriy on James Hanratty had a similar effect.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #1017 on: October 22, 2020, 01:06:06 AM »
There have been a few WTF moments in my 50 plus years of following Villa.  The Marlon F Harewood signing and the Tim shite but Dim Shortlist of one run it close but appointing McLeish has to go down as the single most insane thing the club has done in that time. 

I actually laughed when it was mooted, and quietly thought "as if - even Lerner isn't dumb enough to hire the man who led Rangers to third in a two horse race and has sent even Blues fans to sleep with his anti-football". And then he went and did it. 

I still think it was stupidity rather than a fuck you, and whilst I'd rather have had brolly bloke, it would have been like choosing a less painful form of torture.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #1018 on: October 22, 2020, 01:13:08 AM »
I'm still a bit annoyed that we (me included) gave him a chance once he'd been appointed. We should've torched the M54. I'd still be up for that regardless of Villa, if anyone's up for it.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1019 on: October 22, 2020, 01:25:01 AM »
The most ill-judged idea in my Villa-following lifetime. Genuinely unfathomable. Bruce might have been a bit pants and horribly boring, but he stabilised and bought some impressive players (McGinn might be one of the best value signings ever). Tactics Tim was a huge contributor to relegation with his appalling, non-management management style, but at least he did have that cup run, kept us up and properly put Grealish in the team. McLeish was, in every sense, a total waste of time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal