Heroes & Villains > Villa Memories

Villa v Rangers 1976 - reaction

<< < (2/10) > >>

rim gk:

--- Quote from: Rico on November 05, 2017, 05:28:10 PM ---Although I wasn't at that match, I was talking to a Rangers fan recently (he claims to have been at the match) about this. His take on it was that it was the Villa fans who kicked off all of the trouble by displaying Celtic and Ireland flags during the match. It was a version of events that I have never heard before. Can anyone else confirm this story?

--- End quote ---
I've heard the same by more than one person. Any one remember the tri colour that used to hang over the upper trinity. Used to say roxy or something. Rangers came for trouble if it hadnt been the tri colour would  have been something else.

Flamingo Lane:

--- Quote from: Rico on November 05, 2017, 05:28:10 PM ---Although I wasn't at that match, I was talking to a Rangers fan recently (he claims to have been at the match) about this. His take on it was that it was the Villa fans who kicked off all of the trouble by displaying Celtic and Ireland flags during the match. It was a version of events that I have never heard before. Can anyone else confirm this story?

--- End quote ---

I was there, and it's total rubbish.

Rico:
Thought so, but couldn't dispute it having not been there. He seemed pretty convinced of its truth though to be fair.

Billy Walker:
They had rioted at Wolves, Newcastle and Barcelona prior to the Villa match and they rioted in Manchester city centre not too long back - the stuff about Celtic tops and Irish flags is pure garbage.  They're like the Blosers on steroids when it comes to knuckle-dragging fuckwittery.

lennythekad:

--- Quote from: Flamingo Lane on November 05, 2017, 05:31:35 PM ---

--- End quote ---

I was there, and it's total rubbish.

--- End quote ---

The incident the Rangers fan was on about was at half time , when a Villa fan ran out of the Witton End to the half way line, waving a Celtic scarf at the Rangers fans in the Holte End. A few Rangers fans in the Trinity enclosure, ran on to attack him, but he spotted them coming, and sprinted back to the Witton End, with them in hot pursuit. ( he made it back).
It may have inflamed the situation, but to say that was the trigger for the trouble is nonsense. It had kicked off in the early hours in the city centre.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version