collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Wolves v Pups Post-Match Thread  (Read 31129 times)

Offline auntiesledd

Re: Wolves v Pups Post-Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: October 15, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »
I think yesterday was a mixture of us not being at our best and them just being a better side than us at the moment. As others have said there's no need to hit the panic button just yet. We've still got some very good players for this level, let's see how the next couple of months play out.

Agree totally.

Alternatively you could view it, as I do, as the inevitable outcome  of playing very poor football in a negative style.   Maybe what we saw yesterday is our "best",  a best that might be sufficient to grind out wins against poor opposition but will always come unstuck when up against any kind of quality.    We simply don't look as if we can actually play football most of the time. 

I'm in agreement with your summery there too, KT. I was flabbergasted by our players inability to do the basics yesterday, but I live in hope that we all witness the necessary improvements during the next game.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #226 on: October 15, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
I don't get the criticism 'we only beat teams near the bottom of the table.' Who cares? That's who our fixture list dictated we played. I still think we'll get a decent amount of points from the next three games. Seven should be the target, nine great, anything less an opportunity missed. We should be up there at the end of the season and I think we will.

Wolves are fortunate to have such a luxury of talent who have integrated so well. Of course it would be good if we had something similar, but Bruce's pragmatism isn't nearly as bad as some suggest. It's not as easy on the eye but we'll get there.
The fixture list also gave us Bristol City Cardiff and Wolves, how many of those did we win?

The next excuse is that they were all away from home.

I don't know why it's got to be so inflammatory. It's not an 'excuse,'  it's just how different people see the game. I think it's clear that the likes of you and ChicagoLion are more pessimistic and the likes of Clampy and myself are more optimistic. Good. Fine. I think the more pessimistic folk have been a lot more correct in recent years - the club has been shit. However, I am allowed to think that winning four in a row and losing one in nine is not the worst form in the world and I am also allowed to think that being seventh is grounds for optimism. I could point out that even if those wins were against lower positioned teams in the league it may be a springboard for us and build confidence. It's like banging your head against a brick wall though if people just see wins as 'it was only against (insert shit team) so it doesn't count.' You probably think that when I say that we're not as bad as you think though!

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #227 on: October 15, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »
Embarrassing to see the video of our fans fighting each other doing the rounds. I know it's a Derby, late KO etc which means everyone drinks too much, but it does appear we have a problem with this.

I've seen it loads of times at away games over the years including Cardiff this season.

It really pisses me off to be honest.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #228 on: October 15, 2017, 03:35:59 PM »
I was convinced we would concede a goal by the time I got back from popping to the shop at half time. I was right. We were very much second best but we will see out the month with two wins from our next two games.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #229 on: October 15, 2017, 03:41:30 PM »
Why do we only have a small chance of promotion?

Because we play shit football and haven't been in the top six at all since we came down nearly 60 games ago.

We're a point off them. 5 points off 2nd. There's a greater chance we will be in them next weekend than out.

You're talking as if we're 18th.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #230 on: October 15, 2017, 03:50:54 PM »
Kodjia's unwillingness to press as he casually strolled around the centre circle was Gabby-esque. No idea what was up with him yesterday.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #231 on: October 15, 2017, 03:55:03 PM »
Kodjia's unwillingness to press as he casually strolled around the centre circle was Gabby-esque. No idea what was up with him yesterday.
Yes I noticed this, he looked completely disinterested.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #232 on: October 15, 2017, 03:55:10 PM »

Because every season everything is set in stone by the second week in October. All our games are against shit teams if we win and if we lose it is nothing to do with who we played it is because we are shit.

I can't believe we've had the audacity to lose to a team 2nd in the table away from home. How far have we fallen?

They were second in the division in which we are supposed to be aiming to finish in the top two. They absolutely battered us. I think that's why people are a bit miffed. If Wolves are the standard of team that is likely to get promoted, we look nowhere near that level. That's fairly depressing.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #233 on: October 15, 2017, 03:56:54 PM »
We were beaten by a better team. It happens .

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #234 on: October 15, 2017, 04:03:02 PM »
We were beaten by a better team. It happens .

I think people are fucked off that Wolves are a better team, considering where both clubs have spent the last 30 or so years.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #235 on: October 15, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »
Well, quite. It was bad enough turning up to Man United and Chelsea knowing that we'd lost before a ball was kicked. Now defeats against shite like fucking Wolves are to be met with a resigned shrug of the shoulders?

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #236 on: October 15, 2017, 04:10:38 PM »
Embarrassing to see the video of our fans fighting each other doing the rounds. I know it's a Derby, late KO etc which means everyone drinks too much, but it does appear we have a problem with this.

I've seen it loads of times at away games over the years including Cardiff this season.

It really pisses me off to be honest.

Facebook Video

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #237 on: October 15, 2017, 04:14:15 PM »

Because every season everything is set in stone by the second week in October. All our games are against shit teams if we win and if we lose it is nothing to do with who we played it is because we are shit.

I can't believe we've had the audacity to lose to a team 2nd in the table away from home. How far have we fallen?

They were second in the division in which we are supposed to be aiming to finish in the top two. They absolutely battered us. I think that's why people are a bit miffed. If Wolves are the standard of team that is likely to get promoted, we look nowhere near that level. That's fairly depressing.

No one could have predicted that as soon as Bruce comes up against a half decent team we look like we are playing a different sport.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #238 on: October 15, 2017, 04:18:02 PM »
Well, quite. It was bad enough turning up to Man United and Chelsea knowing that we'd lost before a ball was kicked. Now defeats against shite like fucking Wolves are to be met with a resigned shrug of the shoulders?

That’s what fucks me off the most. Bruce played not to lose at Wolves. Fucking Wolves, not Man U or Man City. And even then I got pissed off when we did it against those sides. We’ve been on a good run so why not try to take the game to them. I’ve seen other teams come to Villa Park over the years and do it to us. He set up with a negative attitude and it always brings with it the inevitable. Wolves are confident and soon as they realized we weren’t up for it they took advantage. It’s been typical of Bruce since he arrived. Absolutely hate it.

Offline VillaAlways

• GM : 23.10.2016
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2017, 04:18:34 PM »

No one could have predicted that as soon as Bruce comes up against a half decent team we look like we are playing a different sport.
Luckily there aren't too many half decent teams in this league. We've lost one in nine. I will start worrying if we look that shit against Fulham next week

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal