collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hookeysmith
[Today at 02:59:06 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Drummond
[Today at 02:58:40 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by WarszaVillan
[Today at 02:56:43 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 02:55:11 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:51:36 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread  (Read 19854 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Burton Albion v The Invincibles Post-Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: September 27, 2017, 03:03:39 PM »
I'd like us to have the ball more and frustrate opponents by retaining possession. What's most important is what we do with it when we have it, or how we operate to get the ball back when we don't. Last night we created good chances and were clinical. That's quite new under Bruce as we would go large periods of games without even having a shot. Maybe it's planned or just dumb luck combined with certain players coming in but we are playing with a bit more freedom now.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #136 on: September 27, 2017, 03:13:28 PM »
Overall I thought we looked much fitter last night, no heavy legs, moved the ball around well and supported the player with the ball. Some cracking passing, interchanges, one touch stuff, working the ball extremely well.

It just goes to show, it can be done, not that I ever doubted with the talent we have. Saturday could be a cricket score if we can repeat this kind of performance.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #137 on: September 27, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
I'd like us to have the ball more and frustrate opponents by retaining possession. What's most important is what we do with it when we have it, or how we operate to get the ball back when we don't. Last night we created good chances and were clinical. That's quite new under Bruce as we would go large periods of games without even having a shot. Maybe it's planned or just dumb luck combined with certain players coming in but we are playing with a bit more freedom now.

That would certainly be the case at home, but a few exceptions apart, I'm not entirely sure how comfortable some of our players are in possession.  I think we have to take into account that the game was over before half-time, so there was always going a drop off in the second half.  We did move the ball well and sharply at times last night and the second goal was a joy to watch.  We did, however, also give the ball away cheaply on occasions, particularly in midfield. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:16:52 PM by tomd2103 »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2017, 03:17:48 PM »
One other point worth noting is how we are now restricting the opposition to shots from outside the box.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #139 on: September 27, 2017, 03:25:21 PM »
One other point worth noting is how we are now restricting the opposition to shots from outside the box.

Thought Terry was faultless last night and Chester seems to have recovered his form. 

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #140 on: September 27, 2017, 03:27:37 PM »
Just seen that Burton had more possession, do we still get 3 points?
No need for that.

Why not? It's an argument that go threw at the manager a few weeks back.

because having slightly less than half of the possession in a game you've dominated is far from the same thing as having just over a 3rd of the ball in a game where you've struggled, as happened a couple of times earlier in the season.

Do we still get 3 points if we win though?

I think we do. I might check though because i'm not exactly sure.

That's a relief, seem to remember Hull beating Liverpool last season despite only having 30% possession and they got relegated, think it was because they weren't awarded the points.

Online LeeB

« Reply #141 on: September 27, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
Well let's hope we never have 100% possession and still lose.

We'd need Guzan back for that.

Online LeeB

« Reply #142 on: September 27, 2017, 05:47:24 PM »

We've looked very organised when the opposition have the ball, it's what has struck me having the chance to go most of the games since Cardiff.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #143 on: September 27, 2017, 05:55:54 PM »
Hull were relegated because they lost most matches and usually had 30% or less possession in nearly all of their matches. I will now wait for someone to play the Leicester were champion card.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #144 on: September 27, 2017, 06:02:51 PM »
Hull were relegated because they lost most matches and usually had 30% or less possession in nearly all of their matches. I will now wait for someone to play the Leicester were champion card.

It's almost as if even after 3 straight wins, people are trying to find something that's not good enough instead of trying to be being positive. Each to their own I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 06:04:36 PM by Clampy »

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #145 on: September 27, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »

It's almost as if even after 3 straight wins, people are trying to find something that's not good enough instead of trying to be being positive. Each to their own I suppose.
No it's a completely separate discussion on possession. I have not related this to our results but you are doing that.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »

No it's a completely separate discussion on possession. I have not related this to our results but you are doing that.

What was wrong with our possession last night?

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #147 on: September 27, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »
Whilst we continue to play 442 we're unlikely to dominate the possession stats. Worth it while we pack a goal threat like we do currently

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2017, 07:24:02 PM »
Brilliant result.

Very surprised we battered them, as the anticipation was that it would be a tight game, but nope, out comes a hammering.

The second goal was brilliant, just great to see us cutting a side to ribbons.

Gave the ball away a bit too much second half, but of late we appear to be deploying some sort of bowl shaped impenetrable wall around our box.

Snoddy played very well, Hourihane oozed class and Adomah really is in the best form. Kodjia still isn't quite fit So there is more to come, but the midfield are raining goals in; 7 in 9,which is very unlike us.

Villa in significant numbers to our right as well and nobody set fire to anything without segregation. Had to do an Itoje at the breakdown impression to avoid a petite lady getting run over when we scored the first two. Seemed to be too many in as the standing section was full and the gangways rammed.

Great atmosphere as you'd imagine and a new song about Aston Villa's Brave John Terry, who seemed delighted at the end giving it the Southgate fist pump.

Not sure about the Paint the Wagon song to herald our imminent promotion challenge. Bit of a Nose song.
I know other teams sing the Terry song but it was catchy and it beats HEITS 46 times a game. One request, can we sing 'AVFC' instead of '1234'? Ta.

Agree about the 'on our way' song, definitely nosey that is as they've been singing a similar song for years.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2017, 07:24:04 PM »
While we have Adomah, Hourihane, Sonddy, Kodjia and Davis as five of the front six we are likely to dominate the scoring statistic for the foreseeable.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal