collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread  (Read 17120 times)

Offline mr underhill

Re: Invincibles vs Forest post-match thread
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2017, 05:11:47 AM »
For me Kodjia was the difference between winning and probably drawing yesterday. Elmo is total gash, Whelan can only play for 45 minutes and at some point you can put your mortgage on us suffering collective narcolepsy in defense.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2017, 07:04:54 AM »
Hurry up and get fit Mile Jedinak! Whelan is hopeless! Drop him for the Burton game on Tuesday. Need a younger, more dynamic midfielder in that position. Put Onomah in if Mile is still unfit. Need Jack fit as soon as possible as well!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2017, 07:20:08 AM »
Didn’t see or hear anything of the match. Doesn’t sound like the most impressive display from the comments, but a win is a win and at this stage is sll that really matters. Better comments from Bruce after the game too.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:50 AM »
Hurry up and get fit Mile Jedinak! Whelan is hopeless! Drop him for the Burton game on Tuesday. Need a younger, more dynamic midfielder in that position. Put Onomah in if Mile is still unfit. Need Jack fit as soon as possible as well!

I think he'll play v Burton but maybe not v Bolton

This is still the problem position, especially in a 442. I don't think Jedinak can do that either

Might need Lansbury and hourihane to play together, both as a number 6

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »
If you mean me Lee, I will always defend the English language. Like BE does.

No. 2 posts above yours.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
I'm hoping winning ugly will lead to improved confidence which will then lead to winning well. The problem is we were winning ugly last season and then had a meltdown so I'm not holding my breath, however I think we have better and more experienced players now so I don't anticipate any meltdowns. I think the worst case scenario this season will to continue winning ugly tempered with narrow defeats, but it could be worse, we could be Sunderland fans and probably wishing we had Bruce back!

Offline Leicester_Villian

« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2017, 08:48:43 AM »
Good to win ......
BUT thought Bruce was trying to give the game away with his changes ...he is simply to negative
442 is working but he changes it to 451 first and then changes again bringing Hogan on as a lone striker
Hogan will never be a lone striker and Bruce is killing any confidence he may have
The changes meant we simply went deeper and deeper and allowed Forest to come at us more and more
Get back to 442 at Burton but knowing Bruce he will change formation again and do a Bristol mess up

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2017, 08:53:45 AM »
I thought Davis was giving Mills a real physical tussle, so much so that Mills' first challenge on a slighter Hogan sent him flying and earned himself a booking.

Davis was the only player to be prepared to dish it out for me.We are still too easily bullied out of games.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2017, 09:12:27 AM »
I'm hoping winning ugly will lead to improved confidence which will then lead to winning well. The problem is we were winning ugly last season and then had a meltdown so I'm not holding my breath, however I think we have better and more experienced players now so I don't anticipate any meltdowns. I think the worst case scenario this season will to continue winning ugly tempered with narrow defeats, but it could be worse, we could be Sunderland fans and probably wishing we had Bruce back!
I don't see it getting any better, just like last season as you mention.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2017, 09:17:34 AM »
A decent and comfy enough first half but pretty poor in the second. It seemed like we came out believing the game was won and all we needed was another goal to kill it off, which was really disappointing. Still, it's another 3 points and hopefully the confidence will continue to grow as we pick up more wins.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2017, 09:19:26 AM »
their No 6 was constantly slaughtering Elmo  - looked useful.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2017, 09:34:57 AM »
It wasn't pretty but it was certainly effective, Bruce can claim to have won both the game and the tactical battle. We surrendered territory and possession but Forest did very little when they advanced into our third and seemed to give the ball away whenever we pressed them. We simply made fewer mistakes than they did but we could have made it a lot more comfortable for ourselves had we been more clinical.

A few things could have been far better, the midfield seemed to disappear second half and we created very little, Whelan had a day to forget. The two strikers played well in patches individually but didn't seem a threatening partnership, the movement from both of them didn't offer enough of a pass to feet for the midfielders.

An acceptable but unimaginative performance, the type of Bruce win I thought we'd see more of.

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2017, 09:43:59 AM »
Elmo is total gash

I actually thought he was very effective first half, not so great second.

If we are going to play two central midfielders I think we need to try the Spurs lad as one of them, neither Whelan or Mile have the legs or the passing ability and Houlihan is a little lightweight.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
Elmo is total gash

I actually thought he was very effective first half, not so great second.

If we are going to play two central midfielders I think we need to try the Spurs lad as one of them, neither Whelan or Mile have the legs or the passing ability and Houlihan is a little lightweight.

We needed Onomah on yesterday a bit earlier than he was. I thought Bruce buggered up bringing off Davis. I'd have brought off Snodgrass, played Adomah on the right and slotted Onomah in the middle.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:54:00 AM by Clampy »

Offline PeterWithe

« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »
That said when he did come on nothing went right for him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal