collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:52:23 AM]

Do it thr Frnch way - Lill away by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 02:14:03 AM]

Leander Dendoncker - On Loan at Napoli by dcdavecollett
[Today at 01:44:12 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Drummond
[Today at 01:15:54 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 12:17:15 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by tomd2103
[April 17, 2024, 11:32:24 PM]

Brighton (a) by sonyhill
[April 17, 2024, 11:15:10 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by PaulTheVillan
[April 17, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Robert Snodgrass - loaned for 17-18 season  (Read 133158 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Robert Snodgrass - Signed (on loan)
« Reply #675 on: May 29, 2018, 01:07:21 AM »
The goals and assists dried up when we needed them the most, but he certainly played his part this season. 

The same could be said to a great extent of Albert. Couldn't stop scoring then suddenly he's lucky to be in the side. Hourihane another. Tactics or poor players?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #676 on: May 29, 2018, 01:17:12 AM »
The goals and assists dried up when we needed them the most, but he certainly played his part this season. 

The same could be said to a great extent of Albert. Couldn't stop scoring then suddenly he's lucky to be in the side. Hourihane another. Tactics or poor players?

The run Albert was on was never going to be sustained. It just isn't him if you look over his career. Bruce failed to rotate an older squad and introduce more youngsters to rest up the experienced players. And it certainly didn't help that instead of dictating the play in games Bruce's tactic became one of chasing and sitting deep trying to counter. The Fulham boss was right. We are old and tired and they took advantage of it.

As for Hourihane I think he delivered exactly what was expected. He gave us a bunch of goals, some spectacular. But I think if we're being honest it's a bit of stretch as fans to think he was going to do much more than that. He's an above average Championship player and no more than a PL squad player.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #677 on: May 29, 2018, 06:45:44 AM »
without Albert's goal haul we wouldn't have  made  the play offs.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #678 on: May 29, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »
Fuck me he didn't waste any time. Could have at least waited to see if he received any better offers.

The club have been really clear that if we didn't get promotion then we'd have to let our loan players go. He knows we aren't making him an offer.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #679 on: May 29, 2018, 11:11:22 AM »
I loved him.  He had some outstanding games for us and even in his poorer games e never stopped working and was a constant thorn is the side of the opposition.

He is an extremely clever player and took loads of pressure off us by holding the ball up and winning fouls.  His delivery is fantastic and always put the opposition under pressure.  Add to that his positive spirit and influence in the dressing room, I think he played a huge part in our season.

Cheers Snoddy, good luck wherever you end up next season.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #680 on: May 29, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »
I really liked him as a player on and off the pitch. Will be sad to see him go. One of the few from the last 8+ years that I've felt connected to.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #681 on: May 29, 2018, 11:16:37 AM »
Can't really understand what happened to Green.

Was playing well start of the season, got injured, came back for the Posh game in January, didn't play great and then we haven't seen him for months.

Claims he got injured again but in some of the training pics on Terry's instagram towards end of the season he was in them.

Would've been good option to rotate in when Adomah/Snodgrass needed a breather.

Offline Matt Collins

« Reply #682 on: May 29, 2018, 01:06:55 PM »
Green was injured and only came back again right at the end. Agree there was a spell earlier where he did seem to be fit but not invokved

Albert did great. He's not actually that brilliant at anything which is why I'd consider selling him. But both wingers knocked up 20 goals and assists last season

Offline sirlordbaltimore

« Reply #683 on: May 29, 2018, 01:27:09 PM »

Green has to be the man to step up and replace Snodgrass next season. He started this one brightly and definitely has the talent. He's still a bit raw but i have full confidence that in this league he can cut the proverbial mustard

Plus, playing him on the left, would free up Albert to go back on the right and give us some actual crossing from the bye line threat for once as well

I have no fears Green can step up. Ditto RHM, Davis, O'Hare and possibly Clark and Doyle Hayes as well

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #684 on: May 29, 2018, 01:57:12 PM »
Green did his hamstring quite badly. I think it was clear he wasn't up to it with the Posh game, so perhaps it was better to leave out for a lot longer rather than have recurrent problems.

I hope he features next season.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #685 on: May 29, 2018, 02:01:36 PM »
I really liked him as a player on and off the pitch. Will be sad to see him go. One of the few from the last 8+ years that I've felt connected to.

This x 100.
My fave loan player ever!!

He make a good coach. Has a steely determination and decent professional. Seems to have learnt and appreciates his trade. Good humoured and sounded like a villa player rather than a loan. Embraced it all and good luck to him. Quality player, banter and person.

Snoddy thanks for the deliveries and thanks esp for the goal against sheff utd and making us jump and believe in the villa again.

Well played sir well played

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #686 on: May 29, 2018, 02:03:49 PM »

Certainly thought Bruce could have been a bit more imaginative at times and at least swapped Adomah and Snodgrass over during games.  The problem was that neither of them are the quickest and neither could really use their weaker foot.  Therefore defenders knew that they would cut inside pretty much every time and it all became a bit predictable. 

I would have liked to have seen Bruce look at some other options when our play off place was secured to see if he could freshen things up a bit.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #687 on: May 29, 2018, 02:07:25 PM »
Don't get me wrong I am not criticizing him directly but I agree with Sickbeggar - there was a thread on here where many were calling for him to be taken out of the team before Christmas. Remember all the bad press about "demanding that he played on the RW with West Ham" well guess what - he never played anywhere else did he for us?
He got some really justified plaudits for his corners and whipped in free kicks - the problem was when he went off the boil (which was a good few games back) no one else got a look in and we became so one dimensional his threat was none existent.

Yes he grafted but he also lost the ball a lot by holding on to it way too long. Going forward Albert on the RW and Green on the LW would more than make up for his loss I think.

I do wish him well, especially being right behind the goal at Sheffield when his scream went in, but it is time for different tactics and different players to step up

All the best and thanks for trying

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #688 on: May 29, 2018, 02:17:00 PM »
I would have liked to have seen Bruce look at some other options when our play off place was secured to see if he could freshen things up a bit.

Too right but it appears either the U23 league and cup games were far more important or Bruce didn't see the value of giving them a go.

As for Snoddy on the right, I think he admitted he was a bit crap on the left and wanted to play behind the strikers or on the right. Bruce obviously saw the importance his presence could bring to the team and made the necessary adjustments.

Offline footyskillz

« Reply #689 on: May 29, 2018, 02:23:20 PM »
Snoddy was rarely supported by Elmo or over lapping full back. Elmo is a wing back and never knew how to play full back position.

Also the full back seemed instructed or not encouraged to venture forward enough! With Bruce caution. Like leave the attacking players to attack. (that's why Bree who a real flyer going forward never got enough time Elmo is steady god knows what Bruce makes of Marcello!)

Never enough times did Elmo or full back help in get ball into box which snoddy did but would have done more with support and movement

Similarly he was not supported by midfield movers and strikers enough and had little options so many times.

I felt he needed far more support from midfielders and full back  and always limited in options when on the ball

I won't miss that Sam Johnstone habitually kicked out to him where he tried to flick on it control (as sj could only direct and veer goal kicks to part of pitch)
Was predictable and that won't happen next season at least as both he and sj go.

His crude foul in dying embers on Saturday epitomises his attitude, care and frustration as he knew the deal for club.

I think he should be greatly respected and he respected villa greatly.

A professional attitude which puts mccormack to shame if Ross had even half of snoddy attitude and drive then we would have been promoted.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:27:29 PM by footyskillz »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal