collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.
May 13, 2021, 11:54:37 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 431 | Comments: 8

Itís forever been a myst...
May 11, 2021, 12:03:49 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 584 | Comments: 3

I was not at all surprised whe...
April 20, 2021, 07:06:50 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1005 | Comments: 5

It is 19th April 2021 and I fe...
April 19, 2021, 12:18:46 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 935 | Comments: 8

According to PETA (https://tin...
April 09, 2021, 07:47:47 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 980 | Comments: 14

1967: Preston North End and...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keinan Davis  (Read 147729 times)

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Keinan Davis
« Reply #1770 on: April 10, 2021, 07:25:04 PM »
Not bringing on him just said to me that Smith doesn't rate him and he'll be moved on.

He did bring him on last week.

I think it might have been because we wasn't losing the game and we were forced into two changes after he bought Barkley on so he put on Ramsey to try and keep some shape in the middle and El Ghazi for some width. Maybe, I don't know.

Online LukeJames

« Reply #1771 on: April 10, 2021, 07:28:11 PM »
Not bringing on him just said to me that Smith doesn't rate him and he'll be moved on.
so he put on Ramsey to try and keep some shape in the middle

He played Ramsey as a Right Winger though

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #1772 on: April 10, 2021, 07:31:37 PM »
Keinan should have gone up top, Watkins out wide, or just go 4-4-2 with them both up top.

He isnít rated and is why we need a decent alternative striker, that may well be Wesley.

Give him a full pre season and letís see what he is made of, I have a nagging doubt he will come back fully though Wes and be sold. Hope Iím wrong though

Offline exigo

« Reply #1773 on: April 10, 2021, 07:33:41 PM »
The only shape Barkley brought to the middle was a slow, lumbering one. Again.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1774 on: April 11, 2021, 11:47:32 AM »

He did bring him on last week.

I think it might have been because we wasn't losing the game and we were forced into two changes after he bought Barkley on so he put on Ramsey to try and keep some shape in the middle and El Ghazi for some width. Maybe, I don't know.

That's my point though really. He only ever uses him when we're losing and having to chase a game. I thought after how the subs changed the game against Fulham and with the centre back pairing Liverpool had yesterday, I thought if he was ever going to be given a real to show what he can do, yesterday was it. He chose to put Ramsey out wide than to put Watkins out wide and Davis through the middle. That just says to me that he's got to move on for the sake of his own career. Next season Wesley will have had a full pre-season and Barry is coming through before we even consider signings.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1775 on: April 11, 2021, 12:29:33 PM »
Yep, there's little point in a "He's a great pro, offers something different and doesn't cost much in wages" attitude if when push comes to shove you don't fully believe in him enough to make regular contributions that are more than 10 minute run-outs every second or third game.

We need to have a forward option that is going to put pressure on Ollie and also give him a breather. We'll surely be the only side in any of Europe's top divisions who will likely end the season with their main striker having played every minute of every league game.

Offline Ivo Stas

« Reply #1776 on: April 11, 2021, 04:07:10 PM »
I don't mind Smith not starting Davis considering...

a) he likes playing Watkins as the sole striker
b) and playing two up top would likely necessitate a change to 5-3-2 (or 3-5-2, if you prefer) and messing up the back four, which has been the best-functioning part of the team in 2021

...but in the ever-to-frequent games where we just don't look like scoring, rather than replacing ineffective wide-men with other ineffective wide-men, PLEASE can we try bringing Davis on (around the 65-minute mark, not the 85) to either play in a 4-4-2 or by pushing Watkins out wider and playing Davis as the central hold-up striker.

I may be in a dwindling minority but I have liked Davis ever since his first start in the Norwich game at Villa Park in the Championship under Bruce (a rare bold move by Bruce, playing the young kid). As far as I can tell (from his handful of minutes here and there) we seem to play better with him on the pitch. He can hold up the ball and release it to supporting runners*, or he can turn with it himself and drive at the opposition. I suggest - to see him through my eyes - you don't worry too much about his lack of goals but think of him as method for getting us playing further up the pitch (seeing as we don't currently have Grealish to do that).

It's killing me watching Traore/Trezeguet/El Ghazi having another off-day only to be replaced by El Ghazi/Troare/Trezeguet. (And, don't get me wrong, I love all our players in their own ways but let's try something different with Davis, especially whilst Grealish is unavailable).

* Grealish's goal that kept us up away at West Ham on the final day last season came from Davis holding up the ball and giving it to McGinn who played it across to Jack.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #1777 on: April 11, 2021, 04:12:26 PM »
Iím not an advocate for playing Davis purely based on his inability to score goals. But what I am an advocate of is our manager not doing the same thing week after week while Grealish is out, while AEG has no form, while Barkley is useless, while Sanson is injured, while the opponents know exactly how we will set up and how will approach the game tactically. I want our manager to use the squad and use different gameplans based on the opponent or how the game is going. So for me Davis, is a change in approach. Something different as we get through this period. And as he showed last week he can be very effectively used to bring other players into the game.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 04:23:54 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1778 on: April 11, 2021, 04:14:48 PM »
He should have been used yesterday, staggered after last week that AEG Barkley and Ramsey put on ahead of him.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1779 on: April 11, 2021, 06:30:08 PM »
With Grealish and Trezeguet out, he may have no choice. You can bet he'll start with El Ghazi and Traore though. Maybe even give JBP a chance.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1780 on: April 11, 2021, 08:58:43 PM »
Could actually see Cash being pushed forward into right midfield, he played there a fair bit for Forest didn't he?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 12.03.2022
« Reply #1781 on: April 11, 2021, 09:31:43 PM »
Could actually see Cash being pushed forward into right midfield, he played there a fair bit for Forest didn't he?

From what I saw - albeit not extensive viewing - I donít think Cash has the game to be a top end right mid. His attacking overlapping play is great from full back, but I think thatís his position to progress as a potential top player.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #1782 on: April 11, 2021, 10:40:53 PM »
I think Davis is a better prospect than Wes.   

He needs time on the park.   Something he has never really had.

He can read the game and has proper footballing brain.   Just needs to bag a few goals and he will be fine. 

Smith needs to be able to switch 451 to 442 when needed.   If he can do that and we buy a couple of better players in the summer then we will progress. 

We also have 2 or 3 very promising youth players to look forward to. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 10:55:36 PM by TonyD »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2022
« Reply #1783 on: April 12, 2021, 02:36:42 AM »
KD isn't anywhere close to Wesley. He has never even scored a PL goal for starters. Wesley had 5 I think before his injury and is all round a better footballer. And KD isn't that much younger than Wesley either. He's not a prospect anymore.

Offline ChicagoLion

« Reply #1784 on: April 12, 2021, 06:55:15 AM »
KD isn't anywhere close to Wesley. He has never even scored a PL goal for starters. Wesley had 5 I think before his injury and is all round a better footballer. And KD isn't that much younger than Wesley either. He's not a prospect anymore.
Wesley is a better finisher but I am struggling to see what other aspects of the game he is much better than Davis.
Not being able to head a football is a pretty big problem for a centre forward.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal