collapse collapse

Please donate to help keep this site going.

Recent Topics

October 20, 2020, 12:29:57 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1063 | Comments: 16

[url=https://ibb.co/Wxcn...
October 14, 2020, 03:30:23 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 558 | Comments: 3

In December 1950 the directors...
October 05, 2020, 12:24:02 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 1401 | Comments: 7

[url=https://ibb.c...
October 04, 2020, 12:05:19 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 583 | Comments: 4

All the machinations at the fo...
October 02, 2020, 04:50:53 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 557 | Comments: 0

Thereís an old saying, O...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Keinan Davis  (Read 122467 times)

Offline Arsey

Re: Keinan Davis
« Reply #1605 on: September 24, 2020, 11:33:54 PM »
I wonder if a more traditional front two would suit us. Strength of Davis and ability to actually score from Watkins.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.01.2021
« Reply #1606 on: September 24, 2020, 11:43:25 PM »
At PL level we'd be overrun in midfield. It might work in cup games against lower league sides or as a change if need to switch things up but I don't think it would work as a set approach. Too many good midfields in the PL.

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #1607 on: September 24, 2020, 11:54:28 PM »
He played really well tonight, but injuries apart, I can't ever see him being a regular starter in the Premier League.

Online Monty

• GM : 26.08.2019
« Reply #1608 on: September 24, 2020, 11:56:56 PM »
At PL level we'd be overrun in midfield. It might work in cup games against lower league sides or as a change if need to switch things up but I don't think it would work as a set approach. Too many good midfields in the PL.

Unless we go either i) 3 at the back (presumably with 2 holding, Jack at 10 and wing-backs) or ii) a diamond midfield, both of which leave us open to being overloaded on the wings.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #1609 on: September 25, 2020, 03:08:09 AM »
I donít think he should or will start every week, but with injuries and suspensions Iíd see him and Watkins in a 442 or a 4312/4132. I can see him being needed at times this season and think heíll be fine. Think heíll have a role coming on as sub at times if we need to make changes.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 14.09.2017
« Reply #1610 on: September 25, 2020, 07:27:24 AM »
He played really well tonight, but injuries apart, I can't ever see him being a regular starter in the Premier League.

Agreed. Think there is an impression people don't rate him, but I think everyone i know says the same about him. Excellent footballer, unplayable when he's in the mood, but even when he's playing that way, he still doesn't look like scoring. If we could turn him into a winger, or attacking midfielder, he might be brilliant, but if he's playing at the front of a 2 you have to have players around him that score regularly. Grealish, Traore, Watkins from the left etc, may well score enough to make up for it because of what he brings.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #1611 on: September 25, 2020, 08:12:36 AM »
Didn't Dr Carl Chinn produce a wonderful piece on why it's 'mom's in these parts after some prick tried to have a go at Jess Phillips for using it quite recently?

Jess Phillips is a good case in point. What's going on with her accent? I've never heard anyone speak like her who claims to be from Birmingham and that's after 50 years living here.  It's like what a Londoner thinks we speak like
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 08:17:33 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline Luke8

« Reply #1612 on: September 25, 2020, 08:34:47 AM »
The thing about him scoring goals is, itís not that itís not obviously a valid criticism, but he hardly had much opportunity in the last two and a half years to prove it wrong.

Predominantly coming on as a substitute makes it much more difficult to score. Just looking at last season the most subbed on attacking players where Origi, Kean and Neto and their combined record is sixty four substitute appearances with zero goals. Mason Greenwood was there goals in nineteen sub appearances. And thatís playing with them all playing in teams that were significantly better than us last season.

Offline The Edge

• GM : 02.08.2021
« Reply #1613 on: September 25, 2020, 08:35:03 AM »
Didn't Dr Carl Chinn produce a wonderful piece on why it's 'mom's in these parts after some prick tried to have a go at Jess Phillips for using it quite recently?

Jess Phillips is a good case in point. What's going on with her accent? I've never heard anyone speak like her who claims to be from Birmingham and that's after 50 years living here.  It's like what a Londoner thinks we speak like
Good England.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #1614 on: September 25, 2020, 08:57:35 AM »

Good England.

I thought she was from Cov !

Offline Risso

• GM : 28.02.2021
« Reply #1615 on: September 25, 2020, 09:03:25 AM »
The thing about him scoring goals is, itís not that itís not obviously a valid criticism, but he hardly had much opportunity in the last two and a half years to prove it wrong.

Predominantly coming on as a substitute makes it much more difficult to score. Just looking at last season the most subbed on attacking players where Origi, Kean and Neto and their combined record is sixty four substitute appearances with zero goals. Mason Greenwood was there goals in nineteen sub appearances. And thatís playing with them all playing in teams that were significantly better than us last season.

We've just spent £20m on a goal scorer though, and £20m on a winger, so who are you going to drop out of Grealish, Traore or Watkins to accommodate Davis?  This is why he needs to go out on loan, even just for half a season, to see how he does getting regular starts for a decent team.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1616 on: September 25, 2020, 09:11:12 AM »

We've just spent £20m on a goal scorer though, and £20m on a winger, so who are you going to drop out of Grealish, Traore or Watkins to accommodate Davis?  This is why he needs to go out on loan, even just for half a season, to see how he does getting regular starts for a decent team.

How about we keep him, and let him push the others for a starting spot? He's clearly developing well, and his colleagues will know if they let standards fall he'll take their place.

This is what we need, proper bloody competition.

Offline JD

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #1617 on: September 25, 2020, 09:13:39 AM »

How about we keep him, and let him push the others for a starting spot? He's clearly developing well, and his colleagues will know if they let standards fall he'll take their place.

This is what we need, proper bloody competition.

Agree LeeB and he also brings a different type of player off the bench if we need to change things.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #1618 on: September 25, 2020, 09:17:32 AM »
I would keep him and use him to defend from the front as he holds the ball up well and to provide extra presence up top when we are generally on top by being more physical

Offline algy

« Reply #1619 on: September 25, 2020, 09:18:05 AM »

I don't see it like that. Grealish won't play centre forward, and it looks like Traore might be played on the right of the three, which leaves Watkins in the centre. With the fixture congestion, there's comfortably space for 1 or 2 players to be getting 5-10 starts each up to January, plus in Davies' case i think most on here agree that he's handy as a sub when we're defending a lead. He'll get a decent number of matches here until Wes comes back from injury.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal