collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Welsh Press-er  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Clark W Griswold

Re: Welsh Press-er
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2017, 09:59:37 AM »
The point about the 2 games though is that we've stuck with him for the summer and allowed him to have a pre season with them and tweak the squad some more, so whilst it's not 'starting again' it is a kind of 'new beginning'. That's why it would seem a bit rash to get rid now, but it's also why someone like me who has always been prepared to give him time is now starting to have serious doubts because we actually look like we've gone backwards after the summer. As pointed out, why bring in centre backs and a defensive midfielder when we looked good there, and not sign real quality attacking midfielders which we're completely devoid of? Players that could get the best from Hogan and chip in with goals themselves. If Terry and Whelan were 'extra insurance' after getting those players in fair enough but we also now look like we should have held onto Baker as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 10:02:46 AM by Clark W Griswold »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »
Spot on Dave.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2017, 10:45:37 AM »
For me the hull game was still an improvement on last year

But Saturday was as bad as the very worst of last season

I'm expecting better v reading but whether we take our chances is another point

The Hull game fell into the same pattern: Bright first half, took an early lead and failed to take a number of chances to put the game to bed before half-time. Second half: let Hull take control for 20 minutes, sit deep with no tactics to counter this and, inevitably, concede the equaliser. No change at all from last season.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
In fairness, I think Dave knows he's being judged on more than two games hence the mention of no major changes in football tactics between summer and autumn last year ie during his spell between his current and last jobs. Just that two games of the current season happen to have gone.

I wasn't having a go at Dave at all, just pointing out that on the face of it two games into the new season would be early to judge a manager and I'm sure had he gone after the game on Saturday then there would have been uproar in the media with an assortment of ex-pros and pundits saying how ridiculous it was to sack a manager at that point. 

What I was trying to say though was that there hasn't been any noticeable improvement in the two games from last season, which I'm sure we would all agree wasn't good enough.  Therefore he should be judged on his whole time here rather than the two games.  If it was clear he was trying to implement a new style of play then fair enough, he would need time to do so, but it is apparent that very little has changed, apart from the long punts are directed towards Elmohamady.  The majority of his January signings are looking no better after a full pre season and we yet again are fielding a starting XI with Hutton and Agbonlahor in the side, many years after both should have been moved on.

The most concerning thing for me is that when you hear him talk in post match interviews, it's almost if he is as bewildered as the rest of us as to why we are so poor.     

Offline Boz

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2017, 04:49:57 PM »
In fairness, I think Dave knows he's being judged on more than two games hence the mention of no major changes in football tactics between summer and autumn last year ie during his spell between his current and last jobs. Just that two games of the current season happen to have gone.

I wasn't having a go at Dave at all, just pointing out that on the face of it two games into the new season would be early to judge a manager and I'm sure had he gone after the game on Saturday then there would have been uproar in the media with an assortment of ex-pros and pundits saying how ridiculous it was to sack a manager at that point. 

What I was trying to say though was that there hasn't been any noticeable improvement in the two games from last season, which I'm sure we would all agree wasn't good enough.  Therefore he should be judged on his whole time here rather than the two games.  If it was clear he was trying to implement a new style of play then fair enough, he would need time to do so, but it is apparent that very little has changed, apart from the long punts are directed towards Elmohamady.  The majority of his January signings are looking no better after a full pre season and we yet again are fielding a starting XI with Hutton and Agbonlahor in the side, many years after both should have been moved on.

The most concerning thing for me is that when you hear him talk in post match interviews, it's almost if he is as bewildered as the rest of us as to why we are so poor.     

And if that's true, what hope is there he can turn it around??

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2017, 05:43:29 PM »
My fear is he will make us retreat into our she'll even more which will inevitably result in tears all round.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal