collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ahmed Elmohamady - released  (Read 91293 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Ahmed Elmohamady - SIGNED
« Reply #570 on: March 06, 2021, 09:08:19 AM »
Elmo has been the main factor in two losses in the three games he's started since Cash has been out. How much worse could it be?

I'm not a fan of laying blame at an individual's feet, but I can't help feeling that if Cash played, we don't concede three goals that we did.

But I don't disagree with the club's thinking on Guilbert. Yeah, ideally we'd have two fairly equally talented players on the payroll competing for every shirt and still be able to develop our youths, but we're only now emerging from a full decade of shit and we're not yet able to offer enough football for that to be desirable to players and club. I really do think it's just Sod's Law that a player that looked like he could run forever then picks up an injury whilst trying to step over a not particularly high blade of grass the minute his perennial understudy walks out the door.

Surely you've got to start somewhere though, and having a decent young player as back up is what we should aspire to in every position. Should we not try to get an upgrade on Taylor for instance this summer?

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #571 on: March 06, 2021, 09:21:46 AM »
I think you have to be realistic about what you can expect from a back up player. It’s someone who is, with the exception of teams in Europe, likely to only play 5-8 game a season at the most and be happy to do so. And they’ve got to be able to just drop into the team with a good performance as and when required which isn’t easy.

Throw in the fact that we have only had four transfer windows in the Premier League and came up basically without a squad, it don’t think it’s horrendous that Elmo is currently our back up right back.

To be honest, I’m not sure there are many great back up full backs in the league, other than at a few of the clubs in Europe.

I personally prefer Guilbert to Elmo, but I don’t really think there is a huge different between them. I also expect that it’s fairly likely neither will be here next season anyway.
This is exactly my thoughts. The only thing I'd add is that we'll get more money for Freddie now, given his form in the French league, than we would with him sitting about on out bench (which looked like the alternative at the time). Elmo's off on a free regardless. From a purely financial point of view we've done the right thing in my book. We need to start moving on our backup players so we can replace them with higher calibre players.

Offline Risso

« Reply #572 on: March 06, 2021, 11:45:55 AM »
I think you have to be realistic about what you can expect from a back up player. It’s someone who is, with the exception of teams in Europe, likely to only play 5-8 game a season at the most and be happy to do so. And they’ve got to be able to just drop into the team with a good performance as and when required which isn’t easy.

Throw in the fact that we have only had four transfer windows in the Premier League and came up basically without a squad, it don’t think it’s horrendous that Elmo is currently our back up right back.

To be honest, I’m not sure there are many great back up full backs in the league, other than at a few of the clubs in Europe.

I personally prefer Guilbert to Elmo, but I don’t really think there is a huge different between them. I also expect that it’s fairly likely neither will be here next season anyway.
This is exactly my thoughts. The only thing I'd add is that we'll get more money for Freddie now, given his form in the French league, than we would with him sitting about on out bench (which looked like the alternative at the time). Elmo's off on a free regardless. From a purely financial point of view we've done the right thing in my book. We need to start moving on our backup players so we can replace them with higher calibre players.

So sell a back up player to buy another back up player?

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #573 on: March 06, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »
I would say this is probably the hardest part of the step up from a mid-table to top six team. Having a happy balance of players in a squad, rotating them at times, but keeping them all on their toes and fighting for a place.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #574 on: March 06, 2021, 12:03:34 PM »
I would say this is probably the hardest part of the step up from a mid-table to top six team. Having a happy balance of players in a squad, rotating them at times, but keeping them all on their toes and fighting for a place.

Smith didn't even try though. More worrying he publicly scoffed at the idea of players suffering from fatigue only a few weeks back. If he had kept giving the likes of Hourihane and Guilbert minutes earlier in the season, we would be better served now. It might be a surprise poor result or two along the way but over a 38 game season it would balance out. A number of us were fearful of a MON style collapse around March from early in the season when Deano was refusing to even bring subs on.

Anyway, let's see how today goes but Elmo will certainly be targeted again.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #575 on: March 06, 2021, 12:08:30 PM »
A mistake in hindsight. Nobody really thought this was a huge issue at the time.

Two things will always be undefeated: Hindsight and Father Time

The Taxman probably deserves a shout-out here too, the bastid.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2021, 01:02:35 PM »

Smith didn't even try though. More worrying he publicly scoffed at the idea of players suffering from fatigue only a few weeks back. If he had kept giving the likes of Hourihane and Guilbert minutes earlier in the season, we would be better served now. It might be a surprise poor result or two along the way but over a 38 game season it would balance out. A number of us were fearful of a MON style collapse around March from early in the season when Deano was refusing to even bring subs on.

There is no way of telling if that would be the case though. It could have benefitted us or we could have lost more games playing players that, even though I like them, showed on numerous occasions last season that they probably aren’t good enough.

I’m not really sure exactly what people expected at this stage. We came up with barely half a squad, so the first season was spent rebuilding that. Now we have recruited to the stage the we have a pretty strong first 11/12. The next step is obviously to improve the rest of the squad - so replacing Elmo, Taylor, Davis etc.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2021, 01:23:54 PM »
A mistake in hindsight. Nobody really thought this was a huge issue at the time.

Two things will always be undefeated: Hindsight and Father Time

I thought it was a huge mistake at the time, and said so.  Guilbert I am sure will prosper at a new club and will come to be seen as another player who we shouldn't have let go, notwithstanding how good Cash might prove to be.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2021, 01:26:02 PM »

There is no way of telling if that would be the case though. It could have benefitted us or we could have lost more games playing players that, even though I like them, showed on numerous occasions last season that they probably aren’t good enough.

I’m not really sure exactly what people expected at this stage. We came up with barely half a squad, so the first season was spent rebuilding that. Now we have recruited to the stage the we have a pretty strong first 11/12. The next step is obviously to improve the rest of the squad - so replacing Elmo, Taylor, Davis etc.
I agree Luke, we’re on the right road. The next step is maybe improving a couple or few first team places and adding a bit more quality in depth. It’s a massive improvement to last season. I’m still hoping for another upturn on form though, I’m sure it will happen. All the sides seem to be going though a similar season when it comes to form and consistency.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2021, 01:56:48 PM »
To draw an analogy we as fans are so connected to every movement that it’s literally like watching the hands of a clock move or watching your kids grow. It all seems so much slower than it actually is. However those not as connected, neutrals are rightly applauding us for the incredible progress we have made in such a short amount of time. And while it feels like taking a long time to get to this level and then to the next in reality, taking a step back we have done it very quickly. It’s quite amazing really.

Offline Risso

« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2021, 02:04:11 PM »

Replacing Elmo with a good young player who possibly isn't quite as good as Cash, perhaps?

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2021, 02:15:52 PM »
I'd prefer he was replaced by someone better than Cash.

Offline Risso

« Reply #582 on: March 06, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »

Then going on the above, we'd have to get rid of Cash.

Online Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #583 on: March 06, 2021, 02:18:16 PM »
Depending on how much playing time he wants, I can Elmo being given another year and the prospect of a coaching role.

There is risk with any option taken, though the prospect of further progress from Cash, a youngster being considered nearly ready and Elmo as a 'decent' back-up might not be the worst outcome.

Much as I like Guilbert attitude and demeanour, I don't see him overtaking Cash in the pecking order so - particularly if FFP is an issue - we could/should sell Guilbert, make a profit and look for upgrades elsewhere in the team. UTV

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #584 on: March 06, 2021, 02:19:34 PM »

Then going on the above, we'd have to get rid of Cash.

That would depend on if Cash was up for the challenge, or if we had interest from other teams, or a number of factors.

Maybe Guilbert was pushing for the move himself, and wasn't happy to wait for his chance?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal