collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ahmed Elmohamady - released  (Read 91259 times)

Online West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
Re: Ahmed Elmohamady - SIGNED
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »
why release a young RB and hold onto an old one? surely it should be the other way round.

Because they were 2nd and 3rd choice so not likely to be picked, the younger one needed more game time that he was unlikely to get much of, and the older one probably wasn't likely to get many suitors. So I'd guess the plan was to save some salary in the meantime, get the younger player more experience and thus be in a better position when he comes back.

Which is the correct answer, IMO

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2021, 06:20:08 PM »
why release a young RB and hold onto an old one? surely it should be the other way round.

Because they were 2nd and 3rd choice so not likely to be picked, the younger one needed more game time that he was unlikely to get much of, and the older one probably wasn't likely to get many suitors. So I'd guess the plan was to save some salary in the meantime, get the younger player more experience and thus be in a better position when he comes back.

Also Elmo can fill in at CB or RM whereas Freddie was probably seen as more one dimensional. But he needs more playing time is as good a reason as any as to why he was loaned out and not sold vs Elmo.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #557 on: March 05, 2021, 07:48:41 PM »

The younger one was only likely to not get much game time as Smith stuck rigidly to the same starting 11, with his subs usually consisting of bringing on Traore/Trez/El Ghazi depending on who wasn't playing. He's going to have to get much better at squad building and management. It was always likely that one of our really weak areas (right back, left back or main striker) would come back to bite us on the arse, and so far we're lucky it's just one of them. Elmo has cost us two defeats in three games though, so it's already an expensive mistake.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #558 on: March 05, 2021, 07:52:15 PM »
A mistake in hindsight. Nobody really thought this was a huge issue at the time.

Two things will always be undefeated: Hindsight and Father Time

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #559 on: March 05, 2021, 08:07:43 PM »
A mistake in hindsight. Nobody really thought this was a huge issue at the time.

Shit loads of people on here called it out as a mistake.

Offline Risso

« Reply #560 on: March 05, 2021, 08:16:14 PM »

Two things will always be undefeated: Hindsight and Father Time

Lots of people said so at the time, no hindsight required. It was obviously a terrible piece of business, just as many people said signing Danny Drinkwater would be.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #561 on: March 05, 2021, 09:02:12 PM »
Terrible business is stretching it a bit, Elmo has hardly been a disaster and it's debatable that Guilbert would have done any better coming in from the cold.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #562 on: March 05, 2021, 09:04:28 PM »

Shit loads of people on here called it out as a mistake.

Were they? I don’t recall it being shitloads at all. I accept that it might have been questioned. It don’t recall people thinking it was some colossal mistake that a player who hadn’t featured at all throughout the season was loaned out given we had a very fit first choice player and an adequate back up.

Edit: and looking back at the Guilbert thread literally nobody said it was a huge mistake. Most people just wished him luck, hoped that he had played more but would come back to compete. It’s just shit luck that Cash missed a couple of games right after.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 09:07:35 PM by Toronto Villa »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #563 on: March 05, 2021, 09:35:52 PM »
Cash didn't need rotating, he's done a good job and it's right he kept his place. It's a freak injury and bad timing.

Letting Guilbert go made sense.

Offline Risso

« Reply #564 on: March 05, 2021, 09:42:45 PM »
Cash didn't need rotating, he's done a good job and it's right he kept his place. It's a freak injury and bad timing.

It really didn't. We can't have a first eleven and then replacements like Elmo, Davis and Taylor if we want to be serious top 6 contenders. If we hadn't signed Guilbert and we were linked with him now, we'd all be pleased we were getting a good upgrade on Elmo.

In any case, I don't think his transfer had anything to do with good business, it was clearly something personal between him and Smith.

Online West Derby Villan

« Reply #565 on: March 05, 2021, 11:03:59 PM »

It really didn't. We can't have a first eleven and then replacements like Elmo, Davis and Taylor if we want to be serious top 6 contenders. If we hadn't signed Guilbert and we were linked with him now, we'd all be pleased we were getting a good upgrade on Elmo.

In any case, I don't think his transfer had anything to do with good business, it was clearly something personal between him and Smith.

Elmo made a mistake, probably because he hadn’t played very often, Freddy, if he had played, could of done the same. Elmo has been an excellent servant to our club, just like all the other players, he isn’t perfect but he never hides. It’s probably his last season so he should be first sub because he’s unlikely to come on, whereas Freddy needed game time. I think it’s out of order blaming Elmo for “losing” points.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #566 on: March 05, 2021, 11:17:14 PM »
I think you have to be realistic about what you can expect from a back up player. It’s someone who is, with the exception of teams in Europe, likely to only play 5-8 game a season at the most and be happy to do so. And they’ve got to be able to just drop into the team with a good performance as and when required which isn’t easy.

Throw in the fact that we have only had four transfer windows in the Premier League and came up basically without a squad, it don’t think it’s horrendous that Elmo is currently our back up right back.

To be honest, I’m not sure there are many great back up full backs in the league, other than at a few of the clubs in Europe.

I personally prefer Guilbert to Elmo, but I don’t really think there is a huge different between them. I also expect that it’s fairly likely neither will be here next season anyway.

Offline Risso

« Reply #567 on: March 06, 2021, 12:10:08 AM »
Elmo has been the main factor in two losses in the three games he's started since Cash has been out. How much worse could it be?

Online West Derby Villan

« Reply #568 on: March 06, 2021, 01:24:59 AM »
Elmo has been the main factor in two losses in the three games he's started since Cash has been out. How much worse could it be?

A factor, but not the only reason. Surely, as it’s a team game, the midfield and forwards could have created / scored opportunities/goals which would of altered the results in our favour. Realistically, one player cannot be responsible for us not getting the result we wanted.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #569 on: March 06, 2021, 07:05:15 AM »

I'm not a fan of laying blame at an individual's feet, but I can't help feeling that if Cash played, we don't concede three goals that we did.

But I don't disagree with the club's thinking on Guilbert. Yeah, ideally we'd have two fairly equally talented players on the payroll competing for every shirt and still be able to develop our youths, but we're only now emerging from a full decade of shit and we're not yet able to offer enough football for that to be desirable to players and club. I really do think it's just Sod's Law that a player that looked like he could run forever then picks up an injury whilst trying to step over a not particularly high blade of grass the minute his perennial understudy walks out the door.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal