collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ahmed Elmohamady - released  (Read 91304 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

Re: Ahmed Elmohamady - SIGNED
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2021, 08:49:34 AM »
Gilbert was bought to replace him, but clearly that didnt work out.
Oh why, oh why, oh why?

Guilbert this week.

Things we don't need to see!!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2021, 09:54:09 AM »
It would have helped Elmo to have a shout from someone on Wednesday. And it also would have helped if McGinn had tracked McGoldrick's run.

Offline Luke8

« Reply #542 on: March 05, 2021, 10:24:24 AM »
On Elmo/Guilbert, Cash is clearly an upgrade on both and once you are then looking at moving one one, I’d imagine that there was much more of a market for Guilbert than Elmo. It won’t purely have come down to that obviously, but it may well have been a factor.

Guilbert does seem to have started well at Strasbourg (two clean sheets, two assists and a goal in five games) so I guess it’s possible that we keep him next season.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #543 on: March 05, 2021, 10:41:16 AM »
On Elmo/Guilbert, Cash is clearly an upgrade on both and once you are then looking at moving one one, I’d imagine that there was much more of a market for Guilbert than Elmo. It won’t purely have come down to that obviously, but it may well have been a factor.

Guilbert does seem to have started well at Strasbourg (two clean sheets, two assists and a goal in five games) so I guess it’s possible that we keep him next season.

That doesn't strike me as the best way to improve a club and strive for the top 6. Sell a promising young player and leave yourself with only a 33 year old journeyman as cover. 

Whatever the reason, it's proved to be a very bad decision.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #544 on: March 05, 2021, 11:01:07 AM »
Some decisions are unfathomable from the outside so presumably there’s a reason inside that we will never be made aware that makes sense because as you say it looks on the face of it like a baffling one that has cost us in two out of the three games Elmo has played in.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #545 on: March 05, 2021, 11:05:14 AM »
Maybe Kesler should get his baptism of fire on Saturday. But he won't.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #546 on: March 05, 2021, 11:12:52 AM »
Gilbert was bought to replace him, but clearly that didnt work out.
Oh why, oh why, oh why?

Guilbert this week.

Oh Claire.....

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #547 on: March 05, 2021, 11:15:40 AM »
Maybe Kesler should get his baptism of fire on Saturday. But he won't.

Fingers crossed, the mistakes from Elmo, particularly the most recent just aren't good enough. People have moaned about Mings making too many mistakes but he's done nothing on a par with that. For me it's the worst goal we've conceded all season because it should've been easy to deal with.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #548 on: March 05, 2021, 11:20:43 AM »
Mings has cut the mistakes out pretty much completely lately.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2021, 12:45:49 PM »
Mings has cut the mistakes out pretty much completely lately.

Shhh!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #550 on: March 05, 2021, 12:58:11 PM »
Been a fantastic servant for us. Pound for pound with Hourihane comfortably one of our best signings in last decade (especially when you look at what else we signed in 2017).

Right time to let him go in the summer though and think we'll sell Gulibert back to French team for 3-4m.

Would assume we'll sign another RB, I like the look of Connor Roberts at Swansea. Mid 20s, regular Welsh international and everytime I see their highlights he's setting up or scoring for them so has similar profile to Matty Cash last summer.

If they don't go up I reckon 10m + Conor and there's a deal there.

Kesler is interesting prospect but he's played very little for us and still very young so think loan move next season is best option for him.

Online Drummond

« Reply #551 on: March 05, 2021, 03:16:21 PM »
Elmo is out of contract in the summer, that'll be why we kept him on. He's a pretty good reserve RB and Guilbert wanted game time, nobody would have expected Cash to get injured and therefore be out as long as he has been so a loan deal was good. I expect Guilbert to be back in the summer and he and Cash can fight it out.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #552 on: March 05, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

That doesn't strike me as the best way to improve a club and strive for the top 6. Sell a promising young player and leave yourself with only a 33 year old journeyman as cover. 

Whatever the reason, it's proved to be a very bad decision.

But it's a bit of sods law too. What were the odds that a player in that specific position who has been the emodiment of fitness would get hurt immediately after the best true replacement (Elmo is just more versatile) would get hurt. What if we let Taylor go instead and Targett got hurt? Or Engels and Konsa went down. It's shit that it happened but there is no suggestion that Guilbert is getting sold. In fact I expect him next season to compete with Cash for that spot with Elmo being released,

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #553 on: March 05, 2021, 05:16:14 PM »
why release a young RB and hold onto an old one? surely it should be the other way round.

Online Drummond

« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »
why release a young RB and hold onto an old one? surely it should be the other way round.

Because they were 2nd and 3rd choice so not likely to be picked, the younger one needed more game time that he was unlikely to get much of, and the older one probably wasn't likely to get many suitors. So I'd guess the plan was to save some salary in the meantime, get the younger player more experience and thus be in a better position when he comes back.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal