collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Nev
[Today at 05:39:45 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:32:19 PM]

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 05:39:45 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:32:19 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 05:31:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend  (Read 11394 times)

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: Dennis Mortimer Villa Legend
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2017, 12:47:10 PM »
And he had an affair with one of the sky sports news presenters when he was at Boro.  Can't t remember the name but it wasn't Jim White

Claire Tomlinson?  Now relegated to late night sports news presenting.  Put on a bit of weight these days, but then again 'ain't many of us.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »
I used to use him get carried out of the Bell on the Birmingham Road and bundled into a taxi on a weekly basis when he managed that shower down the road.  Mind you, I'd want to get pissed out of my skull too if I had to watch that mob on a regular basis.

He used to manage the pub team at the Four in Hand in West Bromwich in the 70s too. Apparently his ability to drink 10-12 pints and still play like a man possessed in training the next day was legendary.

He gave one of the best individual performances i ever saw at Villa Park by an away player. We lost 1-0 at home to the Albion on a Friday night, last game of the season and the eve of the cup final, circa 1978-9. He absolutely ran the show and they murdered us. Should have been 3 or 4 nil.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2017, 06:16:48 PM »
I always used to think that Robson spent so much time out injured because he wasn't very good at tackling so did himself as much harm as opposition players. I'm another that thinks he had a reputation far above his ability.

Online ez

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2017, 06:48:29 PM »
I've spent a few years getting some memorabilia signed by villa players especially from the European cup winners. It took me ages to meet Dennis Mortimer though, him and Gary Williams. I didn't think those two did many appearances.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2017, 06:52:46 PM »
I've spent a few years getting some memorabilia signed by villa players especially from the European cup winners. It took me ages to meet Dennis Mortimer though, him and Gary Williams. I didn't think those two did many appearances.

Mortimer's always been a bit of a contrary sod and Williams has never been part of the ex-players circuit.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2017, 06:57:03 PM »
Don't be mistaken Robson  was class - great box to box player.  How he used to keep going on rusty rocket fuel I never know.  If you are comparing  him to Mortimer than I would say he had  a better engine  but skill wise they were the equal  of each  other.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #51 on: July 07, 2017, 07:52:26 PM »
I once saw him at a petrol station in the north east, he was shit faced. These days I'd have staged an intervention and demanded his car keys, but this was the 80s when such behaviour was far less frowned upon.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2017, 08:28:19 AM »

I've got an old yellow number 3 Henson away shirt that Gary Williams wore at the sty in 1986 for the Frank Worthington testimonial. (I know, I'm not sure why Worthington qualified for a testimonial after playing for them for just three years). My bluenose uncle was a steward around the dressing room area and pinched it for me.

Offline peter w

« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2017, 09:27:39 AM »

I've got an old yellow number 3 Henson away shirt that Gary Williams wore at the sty in 1986 for the Frank Worthington testimonial. (I know, I'm not sure why Worthington qualified for a testimonial after playing for them for just three years). My bluenose uncle was a steward around the dressing room area and pinched it for me.

Well its not unlike a Nose to steal from a changing room, eh?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2017, 09:30:11 AM »

Well its not unlike a Nose to steal from a changing room, eh?

Very good. But no, I didn't end up with Gary Williams' wallet.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #55 on: July 08, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »

Mortimer's always been a bit of a contrary sod and Williams has never been part of the ex-players circuit.

I have just recalled that a bloke I knew in Shanghai swore that Gary Williams ended up working in a pub in or near York.  Any idea if that is true?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2017, 08:14:12 PM »
In January 1981 as a ten year old I was introduced to Gary Shaw at my next door neighbours 21st birthday party. Somebody tipped him off that there was a young Villa fan in the room and he made me feel like the dogs bollox by asking me to look after his jacket while he danced.
Afterwards he shook my hand and thanked me for looking after his jacket and said we were friends for life. He made a young Villa fan feel ten feet tall that night.

Offline oldham_villa

« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2017, 09:04:20 PM »
I can't believe people are dismissing Bryan Robson's abilities. Have you seen the number of goals he scored, from midfield - he wasn't a Frank Lampard (i don't defend), he was box to box and a hard player.

That said, England did appear to improve when he became injured during the world cups.

He was still one of the best English midfielders in the modern game IMO

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2017, 09:53:32 PM »

I have just recalled that a bloke I knew in Shanghai swore that Gary Williams ended up working in a pub in or near York.  Any idea if that is true?

This is true because I had a pint (twenty odd years ago) in said pub and couldn't believe who was serving me - it was Gary Williams, himself!  I can't remember what the pub was called, it was a bit of a boozy, surreal weekend.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 09:55:24 PM by Billy Walker »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2017, 11:09:22 PM »

3 years is a lifetime with them, and anyway they consider loan signings "Blooze Legunds".

One their all time greats was there six months, for fucks sake.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal