collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Gareth
[Today at 08:33:33 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 08:32:13 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 08:31:53 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Steve67
[Today at 08:27:01 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by luke95
[Today at 08:26:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Steve67
[Today at 08:21:30 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Risso
[Today at 08:16:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pablo_picasso
[Today at 08:07:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549785 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: John Terry - Confirmed Assistant Coach
« Reply #4005 on: August 04, 2020, 03:01:24 PM »
Yeah, I'd rather keep Terry than Chris, just about.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4006 on: August 04, 2020, 03:23:02 PM »
I hope he gets another job pronto. I don't want his caretaking anywhere near us as at whatever point in the future we have a vacancy for a new manager.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4007 on: August 04, 2020, 03:55:32 PM »
very harsh - you belittle his contribution to Villa and assume he'd take over if Dean goes, no matter how temporarily. Far more likely that Eddie Howe would come in immediately should there be a regime change and he was available. Who knows they might have already been conversations?

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4008 on: August 04, 2020, 03:57:12 PM »
I wasn't belittling his contribution to Villa so much as his contribution to humanity.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #4009 on: August 04, 2020, 04:39:58 PM »
again harsh imo.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4011 on: August 04, 2020, 05:07:02 PM »
I wasn't belittling his contribution to Villa so much as his contribution to humanity.

Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

Do you not believe that people can change or should past indiscretions always be held against people? Judged on his behaviour and professionalism with us I would say he certainly has put that sort of behaviour behind him.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4012 on: August 04, 2020, 05:18:44 PM »

Do you not believe that people can change or should past indiscretions always be held against people? Judged on his behaviour and professionalism with us I would say he certainly has put that sort of behaviour behind him.

Yes, I believe in redemption. And good luck to him if he's changed. However, on something as trivial football supporting I retain a right to pettyness, prejudice and an inherrent dislike of John Terry.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4013 on: August 04, 2020, 07:09:12 PM »
He was great on the pitch, and has not been a problem to Smith off it. He has been committed, worked hard and done his best for us. I loathed him, with a passion pre Villa, but have a lot of time for the way he has conducted himself here. I don't begrudge him going and getting a managers gig now.

As for the defensive turnaround, Smith has already said that he basically took over the defensive coaching from lockdown onwards to change it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4014 on: August 04, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
I wouldn't want him as manager, either. Same reason I didn't want Henry and wouldn't want Gerrard. Being a great player is no guarantee of being a good manager. Aston Villa should only ever appoint a manager who has earned the right to manage the club, by virtue of their managerial achievements. Appointing any of those at this point in their career would be total fanboyism.

I do think there is a good chance the club would ignore that though and appoint him if we have a vacancy.

So, even if we do believe that he has changed as a person, I still won't be sorry if he gets a job elsewhere.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4015 on: August 05, 2020, 11:54:46 AM »
He did well for us as a player.

His acumen as a coach has yet to be proven, I'm inclined not to hang him for our defensive frailties pre-lockdown nor praise him too highly for our defensive improvements post-lockdown.

If he were to walk for another job I'd thank him for his services and wouldn't dwell on it for another second. We'd have better and more experienced coaches lining up join the crew if the position became vacant, so I'd lose no sleep over it. Come to think of it, our own Mark Delaney must be nearly ready for a step-up to senior coaching? Just a thought.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #4016 on: August 05, 2020, 12:13:12 PM »

Yes, I believe in redemption. And good luck to him if he's changed. However, on something as trivial football supporting I retain a right to pettyness, prejudice and an inherrent dislike of John Terry.

Amen. One of the funniest sights in post lockdown football has been Terry taking the knee for BLM

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4017 on: August 05, 2020, 12:18:34 PM »

Amen. One of the funniest sights in post lockdown football has been Terry taking the knee for BLM

As someone who isn’t white and has been subject to racism in my life I applaud anyone who has tried to embrace change. Mistakes are made. Those who refuse to learn from them are the problem. You can view anything you want through a cynical lense. I’d prefer to look at that incident as something he has tried to grow from and hasn’t repeated and if it means he has a greater understanding of systemic racism in sport and society then good for him.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #4018 on: August 05, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »

As someone who isn’t white and has been subject to racism in my life I applaud anyone who has tried to embrace change. Mistakes are made. Those who refuse to learn from them are the problem. You can view anything you want through a cynical lense. I’d prefer to look at that incident as something he has tried to grow from and hasn’t repeated and if it means he has a greater understanding of systemic racism in sport and society then good for him.

Well said, he's allegedly done/said a few despicable things in his lifetime, but if people can't change for the better then we're all doomed.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #4019 on: August 05, 2020, 12:23:16 PM »

If he has I agree.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal