collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 556129 times)

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2760 on: March 19, 2018, 09:47:58 AM »
Player/Manager?

I certainly wouldn't be against that. 

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2761 on: March 19, 2018, 09:56:34 AM »
I really want us to keep him for another season he's been brilliant for us.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2762 on: March 19, 2018, 10:19:48 AM »
I'd certainly keep him, however with the best will in the world we'd need to nurse him through the season. Him slowing down isn't so much of a problem as he never had any pace anyway, but recovering/injurys means we need good cover, and not some midfielder or clapped out free transfer. Elphick will be in the last year of his contract so there should be room to manoeuvre with him, but at the very least we need someone good enough to play half the games if need be and preferably compete with him for a starting place.. And a youth player added to the mix there would be nice as well

Offline Chris Jameson

• DIY guru
  • GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2763 on: March 19, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »
Player/Manager?

Admittedly I'm no fan of the man, but why do people think he should be the manager? Is it because he shows PASHUN? Also, he gets his first managerial job and he should combine it with playing?

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #2764 on: March 19, 2018, 10:23:52 AM »
Well Bruce started somewhere didn't he? Actually in that case, maybe its not a good idea. ::)

Actually..it would be a gamble but besides all the passion/lead by example stuff, he actually seems to like passing and possession football, so you'd hope a side managed by him would follow that lead

« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:36:32 AM by sickbeggar »

Online Brend'Watkins

« Reply #2765 on: March 19, 2018, 10:52:10 AM »
Player/Manager?

Admittedly I'm no fan of the man, but why do people think he should be the manager? Is it because he shows PASHUN? Also, he gets his first managerial job and he should combine it with playing?

A number of reasons.  Still a decent footballer, Players like him and look up to him, he seems happy here, he knows a thing or two about football, he's a winner and wouldn't stand for any player shirking their responsibility. He might also be able to get half decent players to join us due to his Chelsea/England links. He might well turn out to be the new Bryan Robson of managers but somehow I don't think he will as he doesn't come across as dull and boring.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #2766 on: March 19, 2018, 11:03:39 AM »
Aston Villa shouldn't be anyone's first managerial job. It's a club you manage rather than rabble rouse; the expectation is bigger than the budget, but the budget is big enough to bugger you up; if it starts to go wrong you need to call on your experience to stop a very rapid slide; and you can't just smug like Billy Big Bollocks after a couple of wins and think 'job done'. Other than Small Heath goalkeeper you'll be pushed to find a harder job in football.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2767 on: March 19, 2018, 11:18:13 AM »
Yes, it would be too big a job for a first job. Great if he's staying as a player though, maybe he could do a bit of coaching and it might be worth making him temporary manager if Bruce gets fired at any point next season.

Online Brend'Watkins

« Reply #2768 on: March 19, 2018, 11:24:42 AM »
Aston Villa shouldn't be anyone's first managerial job. It's a club you manage rather than rabble rouse; the expectation is bigger than the budget, but the budget is big enough to bugger you up; if it starts to go wrong you need to call on your experience to stop a very rapid slide; and you can't just smug like Billy Big Bollocks after a couple of wins and think 'job done'. Other than Small Heath goalkeeper you'll be pushed to find a harder job in football.

In an Aston Villa ideal world I'd agree with you.  The reality is that we are in no position to appoint a manager of enough pedigree due to our current position or status.  We're not going to attract a current mediocre prem manager so we're left with the usual suspects or we gamble on a foreign appointment. I'd like to think Wyness has a David Wagner type lined up but I very much doubt it. Terry has had a season with us and knows the players well by now.  I'd guess that he also knows that sticking 4 forwards on in the hope of an equalizer isn't such a good idea.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2769 on: March 19, 2018, 11:32:11 AM »
Being a good footballer is no guarantee of being a good manager. If he wants the Villa job he would have to prove himself elsewhere.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2770 on: March 19, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »
Player managers were all the rage in the 90s. Gullit and Vialli both did it for a while at Chelsea, Bryan Robson did it for a season at Boro. Hoddle did it at Swindon.

Can't recall someone recent in the top 2 divisions doing it.

Given the choice I'd prefer him to continue playing.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2771 on: March 19, 2018, 11:39:42 AM »
He's probably the most overrated player I've ever seen in a Villa shirt. Especially since his injury, he's made errors pretty much every match, and we desperately need better than him, whatever league we're in next season. His mistakes have largely been covered up by Chester and the awful standard of strikers in this league.

Whatever intangible qualities he may possess, his legs have gone and he's becoming a liability. If we go into next season with him as a first choice centre back, we'll have another year of underachieving. I'm certain of it.

And the thought of him becoming our manager... Jesus Christ.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2772 on: March 19, 2018, 11:47:14 AM »
..... you'll be pushed to find a harder job in football.

I think is the nub of the vast majority of our problems over the past 20 years.

Offline achilles

« Reply #2773 on: March 19, 2018, 12:16:42 PM »
I don't think he can manage as he hasn't got the relevant coaching badges yet which is a blessing as far as Villa are concerned.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2774 on: March 19, 2018, 12:18:51 PM »
Hasn't SB offered him a coaching position next year to tempt him to stay another year?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal