collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 555525 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: John Terry - signed
« Reply #2565 on: January 15, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »
So everyone is just going to ignore the fact that a court found him not guilty then? So its cool if we apply the same rules to Anton Ferdinand's court case for assault and call him out for being a violent criminal? That Rio is a homophobic bigot and rapist? Lets just pile on and go for it then if we are going to ignore what these three men claim they meant. I rather thought Villa fans were a bit more fair minded than that.

I’m not sure people have to be found guilty of a crime to be pretty unpleasant. So I can understand peoples issues with him. Me personally I’m just trying to separate footballing ability from previous behaviour, which I’ll admit isn’t something I’m entirely comfortable with.

Oh I agree. I just find it very unpleasant to see Terry constantly pilloried for his actions and the Ferdinands just ignored. I mean, to repeat, Rio Ferdinand was found guilty of racism and fined by the same FA board that fined Terry. Again, Terry has apologized for using that language, something with Rio has never done, in fact he told the victim of his abuse to "stop getting ya knickers in a twist!".

It seems more than a little one sided.

I don’t see the comparison though, who’s saying Rio Ferdinand is a great bloke?

Also, one person of mixed heritage saying something about race to somebody of similar mixed heritage is a long way from a white man in the UK saying something like Terry said to Anton Ferdinand. Context is all and there are degrees of racism.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2566 on: January 15, 2018, 08:21:58 PM »
So everyone is just going to ignore the fact that a court found him not guilty then? So its cool if we apply the same rules to Anton Ferdinand's court case for assault and call him out for being a violent criminal? That Rio is a homophobic bigot and rapist? Lets just pile on and go for it then if we are going to ignore what these three men claim they meant. I rather thought Villa fans were a bit more fair minded than that.

I’m not sure people have to be found guilty of a crime to be pretty unpleasant. So I can understand peoples issues with him. Me personally I’m just trying to separate footballing ability from previous behaviour, which I’ll admit isn’t something I’m entirely comfortable with.

Oh I agree. I just find it very unpleasant to see Terry constantly pilloried for his actions and the Ferdinands just ignored. I mean, to repeat, Rio Ferdinand was found guilty of racism and fined by the same FA board that fined Terry. Again, Terry has apologized for using that language, something with Rio has never done, in fact he told the victim of his abuse to "stop getting ya knickers in a twist!".

Also, one person of mixed heritage saying something about race to somebody of similar mixed heritage is a long way from a white man in the UK saying something like Terry said to Anton Ferdinand. Context is all and there are degrees of racism.

Be on the end of racism if you want to truly understands its impact. There are no degrees where one version is less than the other. It's all racism. The only variances that exist is in those who realise their ignorance to correct their ways versus those who make it a part of who they are.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #2567 on: January 15, 2018, 08:24:51 PM »

Well as Rio was heavily involved I think its fair to call out that hypocrisy, as Toronto says, has John Terry changed? I think the answer is yes. Rio has not.

Anyway, I have had my little say. Like it matters :)

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2568 on: January 15, 2018, 08:26:13 PM »

Be on the end of racism if you want to truly understands its impact. There are no degrees where one version is less than the other. It's all racism. The only variances that exist is in those who realise their ignorance to correct their ways versus those who make it a part of who they are.

I was going to say I’m not sure racism is on a sliding scale of tolerance.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2569 on: January 15, 2018, 08:39:01 PM »

I was going to say I’m not sure racism is on a sliding scale of tolerance.

If it isn't then wouldn't that make John Terry as bad as Eugène Terre'Blanche?

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #2570 on: January 15, 2018, 08:47:07 PM »
Well no because that’s about the severity, frequency etc as opposed who the racism is perperated against.

Online PaulWinch again

« Reply #2571 on: January 15, 2018, 08:49:02 PM »
There’s obviously a difference between attempted murder and making a remark.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2572 on: January 15, 2018, 08:52:43 PM »
Well no because that’s about the severity, frequency etc as opposed who the racism is perperated against.

But if you can invoke severity then surely that means there are degrees? If one instance of racism is more severe than another then what else can it mean? You may say that perhaps if violence is involved then that's more severe, which surely makes violent racism worse than non-violent racism? Is Tommy Robinson worse than someone's daft grandad? I think so.

I won't persist with this because I think we all agree that racism is awful ought not to exist.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2573 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:54 PM »
Many people can be ignorant and say things through a lack of learning or understanding. They might even say racist things through peer pressure, something they hear their uncle say for example when they were young. To me, and this is just my view true racists are those are conscious about their position and it comes across in many other ways than just words. If John Terry had a history of saying racist things and hadn’t changed then I’d say he’s a racist. But unless I’m mistaken there’s nothing to suggest. But it doesn’t change the fact what he did was unacceptable.

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #2574 on: January 15, 2018, 08:56:53 PM »
Many people can be ignorant and say things through a lack of learning or understanding. They might even say racist things through peer pressure, something they hear their uncle say for example when they were young. To me, and this is just my view true racists are those are conscious about their position and it comes across in many other ways than just words. If John Terry had a history of saying racist things and hadn’t changed then I’d say he’s a racist. But unless I’m mistaken there’s nothing to suggest. But it doesn’t change the fact what he did was unacceptable.

I agree.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2575 on: January 15, 2018, 10:22:48 PM »
It might be sacrilege to say so but Paul McGrath gets the GOD moniker and behaved abysmally off the field at times, has Terry's behaviour been any worse?

McGrath, Yorke, Bosnich.... not sure why society feels the need to hold footballers up as paragons of virtue and morals.

Considering the behaviour of Terry's parents over the years, it's no wonder the issues he has had off the pitch. He was way out of order with the Ferdinands and should have taken his punishment on the chin.

But on it he is still performing at a very high level at 37, clearly a consumate professional in terms of his preparation off the pitch. Compare him who has won it all to the numerous leeches like Richards, Gabby, Lescott, Ireland, Nzogbia etc. Think about the positive example he is setting to every pro at the club about what being a top pro is all about.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2576 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
I’m just trying to remember what “abysmal” behaviour McGrath did away from the pitch, can anyone fill me in?
I remember his drinking problem alright, but that was a personal thing and I don’t think he ever abused anyone other than himself. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad word said about him.

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #2577 on: January 15, 2018, 10:55:24 PM »
It might be sacrilege to say so but Paul McGrath gets the GOD moniker and behaved abysmally off the field at times, has Terry's behaviour been any worse?

McGrath, Yorke, Bosnich.... not sure why society feels the need to hold footballers up as paragons of virtue and morals.

Considering the behaviour of Terry's parents over the years, it's no wonder the issues he has had off the pitch. He was way out of order with the Ferdinands and should have taken his punishment on the chin.

But on it he is still performing at a very high level at 37, clearly a consumate professional in terms of his preparation off the pitch. Compare him who has won it all to the numerous leeches like Richards, Gabby, Lescott, Ireland, Nzogbia etc. Think about the positive example he is setting to every pro at the club about what being a top pro is all about.
What was Terry actually found guilty of in relation to the Ferdinand’s ?

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2578 on: January 15, 2018, 11:31:54 PM »

What was Terry actually found guilty of in relation to the Ferdinand’s ?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/27/john-terry-verdict-chelsea-guilty . His successful defence in the court case was piss weak really.

Terry should have insisted Rio Ferdinand was picked in the England squad after it. Either none of them should have been picked or both. FA and Hodgson exposed as gutless by bringing was it Martin Kelly instead of Ferdinand to the Euros for "footballing reasons". That was really poor, given Terry's profile he shouldn't have stayed silent on it. He was far from silent in trying to get his mate Joe Cole picked in the predecessing WC team.

Offline ciggiesnbeer

• Location: Mass hysteria for Aston Villa. Some team from the mountains in Russia
  • GM : 23.01.2019
« Reply #2579 on: January 15, 2018, 11:32:47 PM »
I’m just trying to remember what “abysmal” behaviour McGrath did away from the pitch, can anyone fill me in?
I remember his drinking problem alright, but that was a personal thing and I don’t think he ever abused anyone other than himself. In fact I don’t think I’ve ever heard a bad word said about him.

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/newrossstandard/news/ooh-aah-court-for-paul-mcgrath-27500701.html

Assault & drunk driving, do impact other people. Pretty abysmal behaviour to be honest. Look he is still one of my fave players ever, but yeah, a flawed flawed man.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal