collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: John Terry - Gone  (Read 549768 times)

Offline dr.chekov

Re: John Terry - Gone
« Reply #4485 on: March 04, 2022, 02:19:42 PM »
Yes. Wearing blue and yellow and wringing our hands for Ukraine but fuck the Palestinians (add other oppressed peoples who are not white here etc.)

I don’t know if Trevor Noah is known in Europe but I love his commentary on this. He is a late night talk show host here.

Just a snippet

https://www.newsweek.com/trevor-noah-slams-racist-ukraine-war-coverage-european-reporters-1684074

Yeah, some coverage has been ‘questionable’ to say the least. Here is the most recent example I’ve seen…

https://twitter.com/TheKaouther/status/1498960521508560910

And here’s a thread of examples (some of which it looks like Noah used)…

https://twitter.com/non_philosophy/status/1498000420815396872

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #4486 on: March 04, 2022, 02:29:46 PM »
I'd just like to point out that John Terry is a twat, I am horrified at what is going on in Ukraine, lighting buildings in blue and yellow and that is all very well, Putin is a ******, but our capacity to ignore suffering and/or highlight it and/or deal with it depending on who is suffering, what colour they are and how capable the people causing the suffering are of fighting back leaves me a bit cynical at times.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 02:32:12 PM by Bad English »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4487 on: March 04, 2022, 03:03:02 PM »
Yes. Wearing blue and yellow and wringing our hands for Ukraine but fuck the Palestinians (add other oppressed peoples who are not white here etc.)

I don’t know if Trevor Noah is known in Europe but I love his commentary on this. He is a late night talk show host here.

Just a snippet

https://www.newsweek.com/trevor-noah-slams-racist-ukraine-war-coverage-european-reporters-1684074

Hmmm, I think that's mostly wrong to be honest. I think he'd have a point if he was talking specifically about the response to refugees, eg Poland welcoming Ukrainians with open arms, whilst building a wall to keep Syrians and other aslum seekers out.

Not really. His commentary is about the way the media has reported it. He doesn't reference examples of actual examples of coloured refugees being refused entry. Although there had been some reports of that happening which given it's Eastern Europe might not be entirely surprising.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4488 on: March 04, 2022, 03:16:53 PM »
I don't think that 'coloured' is considered acceptabe these days mate.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #4489 on: March 04, 2022, 03:20:27 PM »

It shows what is different in terms of "accepted or understood" terminology in North America vs Europe. It's commonly used here, as in "people of colour" and as you know I considered myself coloured. Truthfully, I have no idea what is right or wrong anymore and what people decide top get worked up over. Personally, I tend not to get offended by those things with much, much bigger actual racism issues that we are facing.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4490 on: March 04, 2022, 04:04:09 PM »

It shows what is different in terms of "accepted or understood" terminology in North America vs Europe. It's commonly used here, as in "people of colour" and as you know I considered myself coloured. Truthfully, I have no idea what is right or wrong anymore and what people decide top get worked up over. Personally, I tend not to get offended by those things with much, much bigger actual racism issues that we are facing.

I was specifically taught 'coloured' bad, 'black' good, in my Sociology A level, but that was 1994 and I think things have changed again now.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4491 on: March 04, 2022, 04:10:23 PM »

I was specifically taught 'coloured' bad, 'black' good, in my Sociology A level, but that was 1994 and I think things have changed again now.

When I referred to my African-American friend from New York as 'black' a few years ago he corrected me and said it's better to say 'coloured' so it may be a 'North America v Europe' thing as TV pointed out.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4492 on: March 04, 2022, 04:17:57 PM »

When I referred to my African-American friend from New York as 'black' a few years ago he corrected me and said it's better to say 'coloured' so it may be a 'North America v Europe' thing as TV pointed out.

They can't even spell it properly so I'm not taking any notice of them.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #4493 on: March 04, 2022, 04:20:24 PM »

They can't even spell it properly so I'm not taking any notice of them.

I can't argue with any of that. Thankfully here in Canada we spell it correctly. I'm still surprised the Yanks haven't put an e of the end of potato

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4494 on: March 04, 2022, 05:31:02 PM »
I can think of no more appropriate thread to see this debate playing out.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4495 on: March 04, 2022, 05:34:49 PM »
“John Terry has always been a c*nt, is still a c*nt, and always will be a c*nt.” - Frederick Rinder, 1936.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #4496 on: March 04, 2022, 05:56:10 PM »
I think he's got a point though Lee, in that when it comes to football it's the one area in life where people are more prepared to hold their nose, than almost anything else.

Double standards are littered throughout our society.  Footballer kicks cat, outrage.  Royal family members indiscriminately kill many wild animals for fun, wave flags.

Must use that one, cheers pal 😜

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #4497 on: March 05, 2022, 08:29:56 AM »
He features in Coldwar Steve's latest work on Twitter.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2022, 08:55:46 AM by Bad English »

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #4498 on: March 05, 2022, 09:13:25 AM »
“John Terry has always been a c*nt, is still a c*nt, and always will be a c*nt.” - Frederick Rinder, 1936.

This.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #4499 on: March 05, 2022, 11:10:18 AM »
He features in Coldwar Steve's latest work on Twitter.

That’s one big table full of c*nts.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal