collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your biggest let down as a Villa fan  (Read 22146 times)

Offline Villan82

Re: Your biggest let down as a Villa fan
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2021, 10:02:37 AM »
Hendrie and Alan Thompson had been in and out of the side in the 5 or 6 league games late that season, in place of Boateng and/ or Taylor.

I suppose there is a case to be made for going with Taylor, Boateng and Merson as the midfield in a 5-3-2 formation. However, he brought on Steve Stone for Ian Taylor rather than Lee Hendrie (who came on in the 88th minute for Alan Wright).

The line-up that day just didn't turn up. Carbone was disappointing and I can't remember Dublin having a good day at the office. Julian Joachim had scored a few in the run-in but again he came on in the 79th minute.

Horrible day.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2021, 01:27:48 PM »
I thought Steve Stone was a good player for Forest and England and I was delighted when we signed him but I don't think he was a success in his time with us.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2021, 01:49:56 PM »
Yes, Stone was a good player. We signed him in the March of the 98-99 season when we went from top of the table to sixth.

Stone did ok with us but he wasn't going to be the player to turn us around and win big honours. £5.5m was a lot for a 28 year old in 1999.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2021, 02:02:05 PM »
Yes, Stone was a good player. We signed him in the March of the 98-99 season when we went from top of the table to sixth.

Stone did ok with us but he wasn't going to be the player to turn us around and win big honours. £5.5m was a lot for a 28 year old in 1999.

He was a funny player Stone, I'd never heard of him until he was about 25 then he was suddenly in the England squad.

Offline steamer

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2021, 03:50:27 PM »
Losing the 71 LC i have hated spurs ever since
Andy Gray signing for Wolves , could not believe it
Ron Leaving, beyond belief
That Small Heath game
Wembley 2000, travelled a long way to see it
Appointing TSM , decent guy but always going to end in tears.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2021, 12:50:16 AM »

Summed up the nearly but not quite Gregory era...nearly signed Juninho and two months later signed Steve Stone. Decent squad player but not the sort to push us towards the top teams.

Gregory also wanted to sign Muzzy Izzet just before he left and he'd have been similar and on big wages coming up to 30...indeed think he went to SHA, played for them five times and then had to retire through injury.

Offline danno

« Reply #126 on: June 04, 2021, 11:04:54 AM »
Anyone know why Hendrie didn't start the final that day, felt like that was the bit of spark we were missing centrally given we pinned all the creativity on Merson and Carbone.

Can't remember him scoring a penalty v Bolton in the SF which was even worse quality game and he was very good for most of 98/99 so had already broken through into team by then.

Barry started that day so wasn't like we just went with most experienced 11 we had either.

I have a hazy memory that Ian Taylor was a fitness doubt leading up to the final too. So it's unfortunate for Lee he didn't get the nod in those circumstances.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #127 on: June 04, 2021, 01:31:03 PM »

He was a funny player Stone, I'd never heard of him until he was about 25 then he was suddenly in the England squad.

Looked like he should be laying patios for a living.

Offline Mortimer's Bear

• GM : 30.05.2019
« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2021, 12:25:40 PM »
SVC

I was so excited when we signed him, genuinley thought he could win us the league.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2021, 09:28:20 PM »
2000 FA Cup final for me too.  Was convinced it was our year, and that it was written in the stars that it was *our* cup final.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #130 on: June 07, 2021, 09:30:07 PM »
Wednesday 9th June 2021 when Emiliano Buendia was unveiled as an Arsenal player after a late change of heart.

Online berneboy

• John 3:16
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2021, 09:49:47 PM »
2000 FA Cup final for me too.  Was convinced it was our year, and that it was written in the stars that it was *our* cup final.
I was so frustrated that day. The whole world watching. I'd rather have lost 5-2 or similar so that the whole world remembered.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2021, 07:30:56 AM »
This a pretty depressing thread.
As a Villa fan of over 50 years, with all the ups and downs over the years, I still can't go past the relegation of 15/16 as the worst experience being the worst let down ever.
I went to the 2015 FACup final which was awful as we could of lost by more than 4-0.
I bought a ticket from a questionable sourse so I wasn't even sure of admission.
The ticket cost me a small fortune and the air fare from Australia and two weeks off work.
The 2015/16 season though just kept giving.
Even in a poor season there can be the odd highlight but apart from the opening day win there wasn't anything positive.
We seemed to get worse every week and it was like death by a thousand cuts.
Definitely that whole season for me.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #133 on: August 30, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »
Ray Stewarts penalty at Upton Park and Moscow Spartak putting us out of the EUFA Cup with literally the last kick of the game - from going through to going out in one second  - the 4:0 debacle against the Gooners, the disgusting Small Heath Enckleman Saga, Ron Saunders defecting to the Stye. Got to go now as I'm having flashbacks.....

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #134 on: August 30, 2021, 02:17:02 PM »
A second division game v Charlton .My dad had been going on all morning how Charlton were our bogey team,how we always lose to them.
As a young kid,I didn't fancy watching them lose.My memory is awful but I can still see David Coleman reading out the score Aston Villa 11 Charlton Athletic 1 and to make doubly sure ,the teleprinter spelt out ELEVEN.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal