collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by MalcolmP
[Today at 11:29:40 PM]

Villa Dreams and Superstitions by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 11:18:42 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:09:02 PM]

NSWE Investment by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:57:51 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:55:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:57 PM]

Claret membership by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:08 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by trinityoap
[Today at 10:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: All conquering Aston Villa 1-0 QPR  (Read 17151 times)

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: All conquering Aston Villa 1-0 QPR
« Reply #120 on: April 06, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
I think tiredness could have impacted

But overall I agree about the midfield. You play that midfield in the premier league and it's going to be embarrassing
I read somewhere that Steve Wyness has said that we need 3 teams. One for promotion, one to stabilise us in the prem and one to push on for top four. If that's the case then we've got nothing to worry about.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #121 on: April 06, 2017, 09:54:33 AM »
Quote from: pauliewalnuts

Paul_e is right, the football is grim to watch at times, but really, if - if - it is getting results like this and helps is return to the top flight ASAP, then i think most people will put up with it.

Yes, I agree but what we do now will have a big influence on how we will do in the future. We have to start to form a solid base that is fit for purpose for the future.

That's the key really.  The arguments of us being a club in decline and squad with no confidence are becoming old hat, and need to be let go of, certainly by the summer.  With that in mind we need to start showing that we can develop from here.  Yes getting the results is absolutely key but we need to find ways of getting results when things don't go our way. I still think there's an unanswered question around Bruce's ability to get us back into a game when we're behind.

In 29 games under Bruce we've conceded the first goal in 11 games and we've got 4 points from those games.  That needs to improve and how we're playing to get wins right now won't help with that.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #122 on: April 06, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
I think tiredness could have impacted

But overall I agree about the midfield. You play that midfield in the premier league and it's going to be embarrassing

I agree about tiredness and I thought Jedinak and Lansbury in particular were certainly struggling a bit on Tuesday.  I think the defensive midfielder position is very important in the current system and Jedinak's international commitments are quite a heavy toll over the course of a season.  It wouldn't surprise me if that is one of the key factors in Bruce thinking about potentially moving him to CB and we might see another defensive midfielder come in over the summer. 

In the more advanced midfield options we will have Lansbury, Hourihane, Bjarnason (who I still hold out hope for), Bacuna and maybe Tshibola.  That should be enough options for two spots going forward. 

Offline peter w

« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2017, 10:54:03 AM »
The thing to also consider is that a mid-table Aston Villa is nowhere near as appealing as an Aston Villa that finished the season winning game after game and just missing out on the play-offs when it comes to attracting the better players that we need when dipping into the transfer market in the summer. Its easier to sell to the odd Premier League player that isn't getting many games that we're only going to be here for one more season when you point to the run of victories. everyone other than us will just see that we won 1-1, 1-0, 2-0 and not how we played. We need to keep this going right until the end of the season.

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #124 on: April 06, 2017, 11:14:18 AM »
I'm not sure if this recent run is a case of Bruce's system working or if it's that we have been riding our luck and have come up against some teams with piss poor attacking options combined with better defending and Kodija managing to knock goals in regularly.   We do seem to always end up hanging on rather nervously in second halves.   I usually distrust possession stats as very misleading - it's what you do with the possession that counts - but we do seem to be developing a habit of conceding well over 60% of possession. I'm not sure that is sustainable in the longer term because of the relentless pressure it invites.   It's a bit like watching Greece when they won the Euros.

Offline peter w

« Reply #125 on: April 06, 2017, 11:17:23 AM »
Another thing - I don't think this type of grinding out victories is suited to local derbies and 100 mph football. Unless we're playing with gay abandon and free flowing attacking football by then we could come unstuck.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2017, 12:18:03 PM »
I'm not sure if this recent run is a case of Bruce's system working or if it's that we have been riding our luck and have come up against some teams with piss poor attacking options combined with better defending and Kodija managing to knock goals in regularly.   We do seem to always end up hanging on rather nervously in second halves.   I usually distrust possession stats as very misleading - it's what you do with the possession that counts - but we do seem to be developing a habit of conceding well over 60% of possession. I'm not sure that is sustainable in the longer term because of the relentless pressure it invites.   It's a bit like watching Greece when they won the Euros.

I think while there is a mathematical chance we might get to the play offs Bruce is sticking to a plan. Why else would he leave Kodja so isolated and or introduce the likes of Grealish who may not be doing that much but is far more creative and better at holding the ball than any other bench option?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2017, 12:31:30 PM »

I think while there is a mathematical chance we might get to the play offs Bruce is sticking to a plan. Why else would he leave Kodja so isolated and or introduce the likes of Grealish who may not be doing that much but is far more creative and better at holding the ball than any other bench option?

Agree.  There has to be a short term approach over the next few weeks as we are in a position where we have to win every game and performances don't really matter.  I don't think you can really approach a full season with that mindset though and some work is going to be required over the summer.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2017, 12:39:12 PM »

Agree.  There has to be a short term approach over the next few weeks as we are in a position where we have to win every game and performances don't really matter.  I don't think you can really approach a full season with that mindset though and some work is going to be required over the summer.

And beyond. I don't think anyone can accuse us of being the finished article even at this level and fortunately that includes those that matter. We have turned the corner however. That is a big thing as far as I'm concerned.

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »

The second half must rate as one of the poorest displays I've witnessed even in these straitened times.  We couldn't seem to control, pass or hold on to the ball at all for long periods of it, and the decision making for passes was abject.  The worst area was down our left where from about the 60th minute onwards Bacuna, Amavi and Taylor contrived to screw up just about every touch. 

Some people thought Bacuna was MOM, but this is pretty much how I saw it.   Although I would exempt Taylor from too much criticism as I felt Bacuna and Amavi kept playing him into trouble.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2017, 01:07:10 PM »
Given the way our defence seems very difficult to penetrate  of late, perhaps we may be seeing just exactly what Colin Calderwood brings to the party.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #131 on: April 06, 2017, 02:32:33 PM »
Some reflections on last night's game:

Bacuna is always abysmal.  How on earth does he get a game?  No composure, and spends all his time chasing shadows.

Yes, damn that Bacuna and his one-two with Kodjia to set up the goal. Terrible play

http://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-qpr/report/358578

The through ball did look a bit like a bad touch and stumble that falls nicely for Kodjia.

He even tricked the camera-man who missed switching to a wide-shot to show the goal in full.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #132 on: April 06, 2017, 05:06:30 PM »

Or Leicester when they won the Premier League. Posession is ovrrrated. It's important, but not vital.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #133 on: April 06, 2017, 05:53:59 PM »

Or Leicester when they won the Premier League. Posession is ovrrrated. It's important, but not vital.

More to the point, that lot in Smethwick started this run of 'success' they're having now by winning games by touching the ball about three times all match.

Offline nigel

« Reply #134 on: April 06, 2017, 08:36:28 PM »
Some reflections on last night's game:

Bacuna is always abysmal.  How on earth does he get a game?  No composure, and spends all his time chasing shadows.

Yes, damn that Bacuna and his one-two with Kodjia to set up the goal. Terrible play

http://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-qpr/report/358578

The through ball did look a bit like a bad touch and stumble that falls nicely for Kodjia.

I thought it looked like he was stumbling as he was receiving the ball,  which actually makes his through ball more impressive

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal