collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: songs we used to sing  (Read 34153 times)

Offline peter75

Re: songs we used to sing
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2017, 10:20:53 AM »
Come down any old time down to Villa Park
The board of directors will show you around
In Aston they say that we're wembley bound
Steeped in  tradition are we
We're won the cup  7 times
So sing up the terrace, sing up on the stands
Sing up the Villa up
We're the Villa we're the Villa
We  are the champions

What tune was that to?

I may be getting this mixed up with another teams song but was there ever anything sung to Quo's Matchstick men?

to the tune of Come down any old time ha ha.

I am aghast that some of these songs have just been lost in our history.  Even When your smiling which was the most sang song at Blackburn when we played them in the cup late 70's/1980 is never ever sang.  People don't believe it is a proper song when I sing it now. 

how I hate the new  songs such as everywhere we go and the pride of birmingham - give me we're all pissed up and we're off to wembley or 7 times we're won the cup any day.  As for Que sera  - I would twat anyone who sings that next to me - never was, never adopted as a Villa song.  We went out of our way not to sing it in the 70's.

This it? Harry Hibbs - Come round any old time

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2017, 12:35:50 PM »
It's strange how people look at you in a weird way if half of these are sung these days, unless it is by someone like big h and they then just have to stand there and suffer

Our current reputare is appalling makes us sound like Walsall or Shrewsbury on a good day.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2017, 01:28:10 PM »
It's strange how people look at you in a weird way if half of these are sung these days, unless it is by someone like big h and they then just have to stand there and suffer

Our current reputare is appalling makes us sound like Walsall or Shrewsbury on a good day.

I totally agree and have thought so for some time......probably started with "there's only one...." which just seemed a generic and lazy song  (apart from the JPA version)

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2017, 01:29:37 PM »
I was delighted to hear a strong rendition of "The Bells" on Saturday, albeit under the stand. That "everywhere we go" is just horrific.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
I was delighted to hear a strong rendition of "The Bells" on Saturday, albeit under the stand. That "everywhere we go" is just horrific.

Unfortunately 'everywhere we go' has been my number one uninvited earworm for some time. It is hanging around longer than Bryan Adams.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
I won't rest easy until the 'It's your round' horseshit is put to bed for the final time.  What makes it worse is the round of applause we give ourselves after every bloody airing. 

Offline Damo70

« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2017, 07:24:22 PM »
I won't rest easy until the 'It's your round' horseshit is put to bed for the final time.  What makes it worse is the round of applause we give ourselves after every bloody airing.

Not our finest piece of songwriting to say the least.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »
Paul McGrath song okay once in the day  but its sung over and over again. 

Another part of our identity  that has been lost to the generations who started going the match from perhaps 83 onwards. 

Ask anyone under the age of 45 about when your smiling  and your get a blank look at best.

For a club  that lives and breathes  its  past  its a proper shame.

Mind you I can't image the likes of Cockney Dave even clutching the Paul McGrath song - he would have his own words for it.

Offline Canadian Villa

« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2017, 07:40:34 PM »
A guilty pleasure is still signing Dwight Yorke, Dwight Yorke. Mainly because you can get into full voice belting it out, but it's still a great ditty.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2017, 07:49:03 PM »
A guilty pleasure is still signing Dwight Yorke, Dwight Yorke. Mainly because you can get into full voice belting it out, but it's still a great ditty.

Also easier than trying to perfect the whispery shout of "Sid" whilst trying to get the quick little clappy bit right.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #85 on: September 21, 2017, 07:59:54 PM »
The Noses had a goalkeeper by the name of Harry Hibbs that played for England back in the twenties and thirties.  Was quite good according to my old man.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:05:15 PM by dave shelley »

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #86 on: September 21, 2017, 08:03:45 PM »
'You're so sh1t it's unbelievable' was a favourite of mine. It would be apt most weeks in this division.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #87 on: September 21, 2017, 08:06:59 PM »
'You're so sh1t it's unbelievable' was a favourite of mine. It would be apt most weeks in this division.

I prefer the more up to date and more jaunty "Your not very good, your not very good, your not very, your not very, your not very good".

Offline class-of-82

• GM : 05.04.2015
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2017, 08:16:40 PM »
witton warrior
the "when your smiling" song is my most fave villa song ever I can remember 10,000 villa belting it out at the sty in the 70s drowning out that drone they sing

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #89 on: September 21, 2017, 10:40:15 PM »
witton warrior
the "when your smiling" song is my most fave villa song ever I can remember 10,000 villa belting it out at the sty in the 70s drowning out that drone they sing

Yessireeee

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal