collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer madness thread  (Read 445223 times)

Offline oldtimernow

• GM : 18.09.2024
Re: Summer transfer madness thread
« Reply #2055 on: July 19, 2017, 11:11:40 PM »

Sam Gallagher at S'oton would be the one I'd be going for. Did a very decent job on loan at Blackburn last season and still a youngster. We need a striker who adds balance to the team. One who can play with his back to goal, hold the ball-up and add an aerial presence.

We seem to be adding players to the squad who can cross the ball now but, Kodjia aside, don't have many players who can attack the crosses effectively!

I'm with you on this. Gallagher reminds me of Keith Leonard if you're old enough to remember him.

I'd def be happy with this I think. We'd need to move out McCormack I reckon though
[/quote]

Hasn't he just signed a 4 year deal with Southampton......pity really

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #2056 on: July 20, 2017, 01:36:24 AM »
I reckon that'll be it now, unless we give Samba a contract.

I reckon there will be 2 more after Whelan. A lump of a striker and some kind of creative winger come forward.  Bruce will realise we can't go into the season without them. Murphy or Crouch as the striker are cheap options you would think.  Crouch would be my choice as her can actually play football.  Lawrence would be my other, but happy with anyone that can create.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #2057 on: July 20, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
Didn't we say '2-3' more after Terry, so imagine that'll be it.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #2058 on: July 20, 2017, 06:46:11 AM »
Try as I might to get all "Rita Hayworth" about our signings, I just can't.

The likes of Whelan, Elmo and even Terry don't excite me in the slightest but at the same time I'm not appalled either. More than ever I think the Championship needs teams that are "greater than the sum of their parts" to get promoted and out of the tools available one would hope Bruce can do the job. I watched a bit of the Shrewsbury and Walsall games and was bored, like I have been with PSF since I started watching football. They are only fun if you're their drinking and soaking up the sun.

Roll on 5th August.

Offline The Fish

« Reply #2059 on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:23 AM »
The difference for you guys was that you had the likes of Sissokho to sell for huge fee that paid for 2/3 recruits....I wonder if Boro have Gibson lined up for an exit but are spending before accumulating.

To be fair, you spent more than us. Not having a go, or on the wind-up or anything.

Boro are spending a fortune (£30m already), as are Wolves (£20m), but I still fancy you for the title because I don't think you're anywhere close to being done.

Surprised Sunderland and Hull haven't spent more, neither club can really afford too many seasons outside the money pit.

Offline The Fish

« Reply #2060 on: July 20, 2017, 11:09:17 AM »
Hey Fish, you should spread it around Newcastle that Villa have two accomplished Premier League and International players that are yearning to rip up the Premier League again.
Micah Richards and Gabby Agbonlahor are far too good for the Championship and I don't think that the club would stand in their way if Newcastle came in with a reasonable bid.
I don't like to annoy my fellow supporters by suggesting they leave but hey, you have to think of the players' futures.

Tell you what, if you buy Colback and Dummett off our hands for, say, £15m, we'll take those two out back and hobble 'em for you. That way you get the insurance pay out and we get rid of the Ginger Pirlo and the player who gives me the most nightmares.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #2061 on: July 20, 2017, 12:19:46 PM »
The difference for you guys was that you had the likes of Sissokho to sell for huge fee that paid for 2/3 recruits....I wonder if Boro have Gibson lined up for an exit but are spending before accumulating.

To be fair, you spent more than us. Not having a go, or on the wind-up or anything.

Boro are spending a fortune (£30m already), as are Wolves (£20m), but I still fancy you for the title because I don't think you're anywhere close to being done.

Surprised Sunderland and Hull haven't spent more, neither club can really afford too many seasons outside the money pit.

We def spent more and because of how bad we were the year of relegation we didn't have likes of  Sissoko, Wijnaldum or Townsend to bring in £60m+ which in all fairness to Rafa was invested well.

Think the outgoings will dictate any other signings for us whereas the relegated clubs will still have some £'s to wield before the window closes, hopefully their recruitment will be as bad as ours was last summer

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2062 on: July 20, 2017, 12:43:26 PM »

Unfortunately, in terms of incoming, we probably are done, maybe one extravagant signing at a push if we manage to get a few out the door. The size of our squad is unsustainable.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2063 on: July 20, 2017, 01:12:31 PM »

Unfortunately, in terms of incoming, we probably are done, maybe one extravagant signing at a push if we manage to get a few out the door. The size of our squad is unsustainable.
Still waiting for the mother of all clear outs.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #2064 on: July 20, 2017, 01:16:46 PM »

Still waiting for the mother of all clear outs.

Kinda like the morning after a chicken phall.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2065 on: July 20, 2017, 02:25:28 PM »
We must have more footballers at our club than there were extras in the original film Ben Hur!

Offline Salsa Party Animal

• Location: Trinity Road Lower Stand or Dance-floor or Bedroom.
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Salsapartyanimal
« Reply #2066 on: July 20, 2017, 02:29:18 PM »
I think we will have one big £10m signing to come but we need to get rid 4 or 5 players.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2067 on: July 20, 2017, 02:40:06 PM »
We have the players. When we bought Lansbury, McCormack, Hogan, Hourihane etc they are all scoring goals for their former teams. They all have more than enough quality for this league. If Bruce stopped being so fucking conservative and just lets them play a bit we'll be fine. We don't need any more big money buys. We need to trim the squad, find a system that works and get fucking on with it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2068 on: July 20, 2017, 02:43:31 PM »
We have the players. When we bought Lansbury, McCormack, Hogan, Hourihane etc they are all scoring goals for their former teams. They all have more than enough quality for this league. If Bruce stopped being so fucking conservative and just lets them play a bit we'll be fine. We don't need any more big money buys. We need to trim the squad, find a system that works and get fucking on with it.

I'd mostly agree other than to add that, if we sell Amavi, we'll need cover on the left and I'm not sure I like the idea of that being a combination of bree/de laet/bacuna/baker.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2069 on: July 20, 2017, 02:48:55 PM »
How can you forget we still have super Cissokho!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal