collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Newcastle United v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread  (Read 23112 times)

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
Re: Newcastle United v Aston Villa Post-Match Thread
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2017, 07:55:25 PM »
The result was another kick in the sense that it continues our terrible run of form, but I think we all sort of knew this game might be a loss.

That said I thought we were far better than we have shown recently, especially in the first half and for pockets of the second. We are our own worst enemies and gifted them two goals. In open play they didn't really do us too much damage.

If we can just glean some confidence from somewhere I'm sure things will turn around. We need an audacious effort to actually go in or something of that nature.

Offline BOB MANSFIELD

« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:40 PM »
Definitely ligaments for Hogan. He went right over on it. At least 3 months I would think so that would be it for this season.

Considering it was from our corner and he was clearly in distress, it really was appalling that no-one went to him. Just a group of players thrown together with no identity and no togetherness. We are in serious trouble.

It's a very interesting point about no one seeing if Hogan was okay until Hutton came over.  Gary Thompson was raging about it on the radio.  The team spirit appears non existent.
utterly depressing

Truly shocking. By far and away the worst part of the night for me.

Newcastle players called on the physio didn't they?

That's it. That's your team spirit right there. And f there's no team spirit its over.
I said exactly the same thing when watching it, I think Hutton only came over to get a drink.
Either they don't like Hogan or these guys just don't give a shit.
This comment about Hutton was so bad, I just re-watched it. He did NOT only go for a drink. He DID actually go over to see how Hogan was, genuinely.
But nobody else did and the bench looked quite non-plussed and defeatist by it all. Sad really. Really sad.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »
Of all the criticism of players I think that of Hutton is the most unfair, he's not great sure, or even good but he's my idea of a Villa player. He puts in the required amount of effort and makes the most of his limited talent.

Reading that back I'm aware that's the faintest damning with praise but I'm sticking with it. I'd pick him every game over most of the other feckless twats.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2017, 10:42:38 PM »
Sorry if I got the Hutton accusation wrong.
Not a fan but agree at least he was not hiding.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »

Offline myf

« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2017, 10:47:54 PM »
Of all the criticism of players I think that of Hutton is the most unfair, he's not great sure, or even good but he's my idea of a Villa player. He puts in the required amount of effort and makes the most of his limited talent.

Reading that back I'm aware that's the faintest damning with praise but I'm sticking with it. I'd pick him every game over most of the other feckless twats.

Short memories. He was regularly strolling back and forth in defence last year and not marking players, particularly in that 10 game losing streak.  Part of the problem  we are where we are now

Offline brentastonb6

• GM : 28.12.2020
« Reply #201 on: February 22, 2017, 12:50:02 AM »
Could someone direct me to the James Chester interview, mentioned above.

Thanks

I do struggle with anything that comes from the rag that is the Mirror, aren't they part of the same stable that owns
The Meaning Evil ? When you read the piece fully ( well the already edited one ) Chester states that he believes we have the right people here at the club now ..... that seems lost by the time you read all the historical what went on guff , but hey people don't want to hear positive stuff do they ?

I agree with most of what has been said on this thread, as someone who was there I thought we actually looked like a team for 40 minutes,  with us actually running and passing to players in the same shirt and even tackling and closing down . We did have three decent attempts before the now expected oops moment happened, and yes like most I hoped we would really show some fight afterwards but I knew in my heart that was more hope than expectation.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/aston-villa-skipper-james-chester-9854822

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #202 on: February 22, 2017, 01:31:36 AM »
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the final post match annoyance (to put it mildly) of last night. The A1M was closed and the diversion signs were confusing to say the least . I was on coach 2 which went through narrow country lanes devoid of all human life only to come out where we started. The sat nav signals kept fading and we only got back on track thanks to an enterprising passenger who sat by the driver reading the map. It took so long that the driver was in danger of exceeding his tacho hours and we had to  stop at Woodall services for 45 minutes. It was 03:50 when we reached Villa Park but we were the 'lucky' ones; the remaining coaches got back at 6. Some of the fans only had time to eat and shower before setting off to work.
It reminds you of the old slogan "is your journey really necessary?"
The diversion signs I followed took us towards Middlesbrough and onto the A19, which then rejoined the A1 south of the closure. Fast roads all the way and hardly added any time to the journey really.
When I first saw signs about the closure I thought if I see one of the coaches I'll follow them as they'll know what they're doing - thankfully I didn't!

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #203 on: February 22, 2017, 08:04:57 AM »
This match sounds like a real low point of the season for lots of reasons.

Hopefully when the good times come back it will be one of those 'remember Newcastle away on the Monday night?' Moments. Everyone who went has my highest respect.

Offline QuintonVilla

« Reply #204 on: February 22, 2017, 08:44:13 AM »
This match sounds like a real low point of the season for lots of reasons.

Hopefully when the good times come back it will be one of those 'remember Newcastle away on the Monday night?' Moments. Everyone who went has my highest respect.
Nah, Newcastle are top and will go up. The low point for me was Barnsley last week. That was embarrassing.

Offline saint13

« Reply #205 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:12 AM »
I love The Villa, always will.
But I really couldn't give a shit about any of the tossers in recent years who have played for us, managed us, or anybody else who has had any direct input into our sorrowful and pathetic demise.
They have successfully alienated me and I now get absolutely zero pleasure from following us.
But these chancers and greedy underperforming fuckers who have tried to destroy my spirit can never take away my memories of days gone by.
This sums up exactly how I feel and have felt for some time.

Offline mattjpa

« Reply #206 on: February 22, 2017, 10:17:05 AM »
Amazes me how much Hutton polarises opinion. I will say this though; Despite the BM running a story saying he needs replacing, despite being pillared for lack of talent, despite him being a scapegoat by the fifa generation of fans...there has been a case made in at least half a dozen games for him being our best player on the day. Think about the multi million pound players and the fan favourite youngsters who have come through the ranks that you definately cant say that about - Gestede, McCormack, Agbonlahor, Amavi, Grealish, Elphick, Bacuna, Golini, Gardner, Tshibola, Westwood, Ayew etc.

As far as i can see, the only players nearing any type of consistency at an acceptable level have been Hutton, Chester, Baker, Jedinak and Kodjia

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #207 on: February 22, 2017, 10:41:54 AM »
well we've got half a good side then.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2017, 10:52:50 AM »
If 3 of the back 5 have been solid and acceptable this season then we'd have more than 5/6 clean sheets in 30+ games. They haven't, so we haven't.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal